Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Sees recent competition picture: "You don't look like you!"

Um... no, no I don't. That picture is after about 3.5 hours of primping (tan, nails, hair, make-up) and I'm wearing a dress that cost about as much as everything I wore to work over the last two weeks all added together ran me. Let's hope that all that didn't have me looking like it's a regular work day!
    debmc and Lilly_of_the_valley like this.
  2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Ha! It's amazing how many people at the studio don't recognize me at the showcases when I have my hair up, makeup on and glasses off...oh, and wearing a dress!
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Indeed, it's definitely not just non-dancers. For example, I was putting my shoes on a couple of comps ago, and my pro walked by. One of her other students asked when she expected me to get in. She replied, "Umm, he's literally sitting right next to you." Much laughter was had by all. This is a common enough occurence that my pro and I have a running joke about me as Clark Kent/Superman.
  4. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

People always seem so concerned with whether or not two people dancing together are also sleeping together. Always with the "So... are you two... you know...?" WHY is this so important?
  5. twnkltoz

I hope they didn't think that when I was dancing with my brother.

...Actually, when we still had the same last name, a couple people assumed we were married. Ew.
    Dancing Irishman and IndyLady like this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How very Star Wars/Back to the Future.
    JudeMorrigan likes this.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I talked with someone at a comp once for twenty minutes and it took her that long to realize I was the studio receptionist she saw at least once a week. Apparently I look THAT different in makeup with my hair done.
    OreganO and j_alexandra like this.
  8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie, I assume that all the time when I see a competing couple over 25 with the same last name.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

But do you both know that you both know that you both know that she's a beginner?

LOL but yes...I've picked out ladies in beginning classes to demonstrate with. Sometimes they or another student will ask, "Are you leading?" Well, let's see. You can barely do the follower's part, so how would I expect you to do the leader's part?
    IndyLady and Bailamosdance like this.
  10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

The common problem here is time and experience, IMHO. People think they are not beginners, or they measure quality of others based on their range of experience, not knowing where they are on the spectrum of ability, and quality of dance.

Someone who has been only dancing for a few years, or worse, fora few years but only a group class or two weekly, makes determinations of others based on their rather simplistic assumptions of what things feel like. Not providing a leader with a clear indication of weight and balance, not providing a follower with the same, or worst, stepping around flat footed and rigidly going to 'their own drummer' makes for certain failure.

Not understanding that the long term goal of a partner dancer is sensitivity means that leads think they can make anything happen with enough force, and follows think that a lead only exists when they 'have no choice'.

To understand movement as a dancer does is not something that comes about magically in a group class rotating around learning the step of the week. Nor does it show up at a point in time predetermined by your age, length of time dancing, or amount of money spent. Irregardless of what you are led to believe, study of dance is not a finite course like auto mechanics or biology, but something that is organic and continually shifts in emphasis and progress. As people tire of their progress or what they perceive as the 'if only everyone could dance as well as my teacher/girlfriend/mentor' plateau, they drop out of the learning experience, becoming 'that guy' who is impatient with the people he shoves around, or 'that girl' who asks 'can you lead'.
  11. Hedwaite

What freaks newbs out at our home is when two men are dancing together so that the coach can show the student what rotation feels like in a twist, how a hairpin or chase is similar to a pivot action, and where head and body rotation occur. Almost as bad is when a coach has their hands on a student's butt to get them to tuck it by flexing the knees and rolling over the balls of the foot so they're not knat-out and heel-weighted for one thing or another, then the coach turns around and the student has their hands on hips, butt, ribcage, etc. wherever needed.
    IndyLady likes this.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

all teachers are different...my first pro was one to touch and adjust, my second was not....so, regardless of gender, one can be more or less comfortable with that depending upon what they are accustomed to ...
  13. twnkltoz

Then there are the silly things non-dancers do, like wear the most ridiculous shoes to dance class. The other night at the studio, a girl showed up in these full-on stripper shoes. Platforms with like 6" heels. What makes you think you can dance in shoes you can barely walk in??

Not to mention the fact that this is for her wedding. You're going to be on your feet all day. Do you really want to wear shoes like that all day?
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    IndyLady likes this.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have actually seen a few teacher/studio sites which actually sell a version of those from some cheap line of dance shoes...I have to say, if I saw an abundance of that upon walking into a studio, I would likely walk straight out assuming that the instructors either don't know or don't care much...sure, when newbs come in there is going to be some of that...but when I see it at a comp, I don't even have to guess how the dancing is going to be
  15. Hedwaite

We had one woman who wore halter tops all the time, and would complain that people's hands on her back were sweaty and gross. Well, how do you think some guy feels having to palm half your bakery all the time? Cover the hell up. The hooker shoes are common here. I also wonder why anyone would want to look like a whore at their own wedding. At least they don't have a tip-jar in the heel (no, those really DO exist).
  16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Talk to some of the female judges who wear 4" spikes to work at comps...I've ASKED a couple, they swear they're perfectly comfortable. And actually as long as you're not moving around too much, 3" and 4" spikes aren't that bad. For dancing, though, I find it's not about heel height but it's about the sole and shank. Street shoes have inflexible soles and I for one can't use my feet enough in them to really dance.
  17. twnkltoz

How about beginners who show up halfway through the pre-dance lesson and want the teacher to get them up to speed? Um...the class started 30 minutes ago. Did it not occur to you to find out what time it started and be here then? Why should I take time away from people who showed up on time? (I'll take a little time to help them, but not as much as they'd probably like.)

Or, possibly worse, the people who decide "it'll be fun" to go swing or tango dancing. When there's no lesson that night and they've never done it before. Um, do you think we just make this stuff up on the fly? Would you just go fly a plane for fun without learning how first?
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. Hedwaite

Yeah, or the ones who miss two or three lessons in a series, then show up for the last one, and want you to catch them up.

I used to think "Well, six pm is difficult for some people getting off work to get to, what if we bumped it up some?" and then, I thought that it didn't matter when you had a class, there would always be somebody late. The ones who really can't help it show up when they can and make good progress. The others stand around open-mouthed (and seriously- what is it with people mouth-breathing lately? quit catching flies, you dorks!) and develop that "I'm lost and can't get unlost" block.
    mjnemeth likes this.
  19. Hedwaite

Or 'Please watch as we demonstrate this, and then we'll partner you guys to work through it after we've covered some important basics' and people not only partner up, but try to blunder through it, right into our way. face to the palm.
  20. twnkltoz

Ugh. Yes! I tell them multiple times to just watch while I demonstrate, but there are always a few who insist on doing it with me anyway. Of course then they can't see me when the step turns, so they miss half of it. If people would just do exactly what I say, they'd learn so much faster.