Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

"This is the (such and such). It rotates (insert direction) and the timing changes from your typical basic. First I'm going to demonstrate the footwork for each role, and th-"

"Hey, what's my part?"

"Not interrupting. That's your part. (continues with spiel)"

And you usually have to repeat it every single time for some people. There are always one or two who screw things up, but then, there are these people who have the best time, improvise, learn something new, and leave smiling until the next time. I'm so glad there are those people, otherwise I'd lament my career change in college more.

IndyLady likes this.
  2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

On the other hand, there are a lot of women who are in agony in their Kyoot Shooz, but will never let on.

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Word.... I love shoes, but high heels/spike heels etc are rarely comfortable....even if you are just standing... Speaking of standing, these judges at comps have to stand for hours and watch us... How do they stay focused and their eyes not glaze over?!

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the shifts seems to be about two hours...they are disciplined people...

5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

People who show up 15 minutes before their lesson and just sit there, waiting.

6. fascination

what about them?

IndyLady likes this.
  7. sbrnsmith

I thought they were about 4 hours

8. fascination

maybe....epends...I have seen it vary...even if it is 4...4 hours in a heels, while not fun is nothing compared to what these individuals have had to endure...and that is my point

9. sbrnsmith

I'm just saying 4 hours standing and watching heat after heat of bronze is not easy... Giving credit to these professionals for what they do

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. twnkltoz

Instead of, I don't know, practicing? Or warming up? So they don't look at me with a blank stare when I ask them to show me what they remember?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Of course, they could have been coming from another studio where they were practicing for 4 hours - but I really doubt it. As they sit and stare, and then proceed to a lesson having thought nothing since the last lesson, you realize that you are simply the one hour a week diversion in their lives, just like their fave tv show. And they get petulant and resentful if you tell them of their obligation to spend even one MINUTE during their busy week to even visualize what you did with them.

12. fascination

gotcha....this is where having a practice floor has blinded me...I don't even think about people not having practiced as the concept is so foreign to me

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  13. fascination

you know, I would never dream of this...but look...if they have signed on to dance for fun, so what?....I mean they aren't promising to be dedicated....

IndyLady likes this.
  14. tancos

tancos Active Member

Assuming they got there early because traffic was light and they made all the lights, what do you expect people to do when they arrive early? After all, they were just trying to be there on time. Would you rather have them arrive late in the middle of the lesson?

IndyLady likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

As I said above, they should use that time to practice. I teach a lot of wedding couples, so they have a lot to learn in a short period of time. I'm trying to get better about coaching them on how and when to practice, but I don't think of everything. It doesn't always occur to me that it wouldn't occur to them to use that time wisely.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Amen to that! I'm always shocked when coaches say excitedly "I can tell you've practiced!" Well, duh, if I'm gonna spend that much on a lesson I sure as heck plan on practicing in between lessons!

17. fascination

well...here's my thing...I expect that if I want to be treated seriously, I need to behave in a manner consistent with that....if I want an instructor to think and dedicate themselves to my progress, I need to match that...that being said, not everyone who takes up a hobby has to make it an anal, all encompassing matter of life and death...that is my way, but I don't hold it up as ideal :)

18. fascination

and unless your students have promised to practice between lessons or have a goal they are working toward, it probably isn't advisable to have too many expectations...that being said, if I had a wedding couple with a limited number of weeks to get something and they wanted fancy choreo and they clearly never practiced, I would be clear to note that their failure would be on them if they either didn't want to simplify or wouldn't create time to practice...

19. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they would blame you for their failure.

Too many look at their lesson as an isolated moment in their lives, something that is isolated from practice, thought or even the momentum of learning.

Failure to practice, visualize etc is a recipie for failure period. It is then easy to blame your progress on your teacher, the phases of the moon, lack of local partners, and so on...

twnkltoz likes this.
  20. fascination

sure...I am well aware of that....I would just make sure that I had noted that it wasn't on me...same as I do in a fitness class....I am not responsible for how hard people decide to work...i am responsible for picking great exercises, motivational music, my own energy level, creating an encouraging safe environment...but if they choose to mail it in, and then don't see results...well...not my problem...even if they think it is