Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Some recent highlights:

"Can't you just practice less?"

"Why do you still take class?"

"If you win, how much money do you get?"
    chomsky likes this.
  2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

After just having WATCHED you dance a "Box Step" in 3/4 time (and other figures): "Don't you know how to waltz?"

Yes, but how much can fifty teenagers learn in the allotted FIVE minutes, WITH music playing way too loudly in the background?
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep, I love; "if you win, what do you get?"..."oh um, a check that pays for 2 lessons"....and they always look so disappointed
  4. Hedwaite

"I'm sorry, I really can't afford you- I went over budget on such and such... can't you just do it for free? I mean, this is your hobby, right?"
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Been there...except, when I get asked "if you win, what do you get" and I tell them...."I get a "1" next to my name"....I'm usually get silence... and a blank stare.
    debmc and twnkltoz like this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

heh....my first pro would sometimes barter :)
  7. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

My answer to this is, "Yep."
    Caroline Skipper likes this.
  8. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Pro could say: "My car broke down this month and I had a big repair bill. So I'm going to have to charge you double for your lesson."
  9. twnkltoz

Yeah I had someone give me a sob story about how her husband didn't want to take group lessons and they were on a fixed income because he was looking to retire in a year and she was still working. Meanwhile, I was working two jobs while my husband (now ex) sat on his knat at home and we were behind on all our bills and nearly lost our apartment. And then because I wasn't cheap enough for her, she asked me to refer her to someone who would be.

Cry my a river, lady. If you can't afford $50 per hour for private lessons, and your ego can't handle group lessons, maybe you don't need to learn to dance. And certainly don't ask me to send you to my competition.
  10. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Someone at work: So if dancing is your hobby, what do you do with it? Go to nightclubs every weekend?
    Me ---Ummmmm. Not exactly, I tried competition and perform many various showcases.
    Someone at work: Really? Are you that good?
  11. Hedwaite

Hah- people who just don't know ballroom (or horses, or ice, or you get the idea) often assume that ANYBODY who competes or performs is automatically "good", or that their goal in their dancing is to be the best and win the most- and if that isn't the case, they're somehow lacking or whatever. I don't know you or your dancing, so I'm not referring to you when I say that isn't always the case, because we've all seen people who compete regularly and win all the time... until they're in a contested event. And showcases aren't necessarily about being better or putting on a professional performance so much as people having something to work toward and getting together for a good time to put on a show while the studio makes a little something off the day. It says more about what people think they're entitled to getting out of something they do and how narrow their perceptions can be than we do in regards to what rewards we get from our respective dancing.

In this area, and considering many other things, I would consider barter for some things, but not make it a habit, and definitely not advertise it. You can't barter for car payments or light bills, after all. It's a sad fact, but it just takes money to get by, not brownies, not house cleaning, not a ton of other useless crap people try to pass off as a good deal when they're trying to get one out of you. If I were a titled professional, I definitely wouldn't unless someone threatened to harm kittens or something.
  12. OreganO

OreganO Member

Haha! The first time my dad saw me at competition, he didn't know who I was until I started talking to him :)
  13. OreganO

OreganO Member

On collegiate ballroom and recruitment from a mother of a prospective student, "I'm surprised you don't get more guys when you dress like that." Glances at pointedly at modest latin costume.

"So do you want to be on DWTS?"

"Why do you practice so much?"
    "I don't practice or cross train nearly as much as I want/need to..."

"I guess dancers are athletes..."
  14. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Got this one recently from some friends who have just started dipping their toes in the social swing world: "Wait, you practice without your partner????"
    "...ya, I need to drill technique and play with dynamics when I don't have another person to worry about"
  15. Hedwaite

"It just seems like such a waste of money! I mean, do you get ANYTHING out of it at ALL? I think they're taking advantage of you."

Says someone who developed a gambling addiction and lost $40K on slots.
    IndyLady and cornutt like this.
  16. Lizz

Lizz New Member

In regards to socials i get "So you mean to tell me everyone is there for hours just dancing?"
    dancelvr, nikkitta and twnkltoz like this.
  17. Hedwaite

They're usually the same people who spend $200 a weekend on drinks at ugly, small, dirty little bars (not even fun ones with entertainment or anything) and complain on facebook all the time about how the people they're around are crap. Uh, maybe you should stop fishing in the toilet for gold, then, people.
    MaggieMoves, dancelvr and twnkltoz like this.
  18. twnkltoz

Someone tried to tell me I have no life because I spend my time dancing instead of hanging out at bars. And I had a horse at the time...I have more life than whole groups of people put together.
    MaggieMoves, Sania and cornutt like this.
  19. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

since I heard it again today,
    "you should be teaching by now"
    ... as if.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

This past week I got "Do you take lessons in between competitions?"

I also got " how many lessons a week do you take?"
    Me: "4, but I also practice"
    Them: " you need to practice too?"