Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Lizz

Lizz New Member

i agree! I should ask them, "So you mean to tell me, you stay there for hours just drinking?"
    dancelvr, Hedwaite and Bailamosdance like this.
  2. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Someone DID point out once to someone I know "How can you preach to me about what I eat when you chain smoke in the break room and basically sleep in a tanning bed?" - obviously, back when tanning beds were cooler than, you know, chemical-laden pigment-changing stuffs.
  3. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

I'm in high school... Just thought I would add so the following makes sense

Teacher: why don't you have a partner?

Me: trust me I have been looking high and low but it's a lot harder than you think... At least in this city

Teacher: what are you talking about? Finding a partner sounds easy!

Me: right, finding a teenage boy willing to compete in silver level standard who is dedicated and has the time and money for lessons, competitions, and practicing

Teacher: *dead serious* they are everywhere it's not hard to just pick one

Me: what in the world? How do you know this? Please tell me where you have seen one!

Teacher: DWTS had some kids on there one time performing and they competed and stuff so there must be some teenagers here willing to do the same

Me: .......
  4. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

OK, so not a non-dancer but a new teacher at the studio (but clearly with prior experience):

"This is [figure] from the [level] syllabus" - after I failed to properly follow a particular move which, in my estimation, was not lead all that well.

"Wow, you have really good timing" - uh, after almost 8 years of lessons, I sure hope so.

Any other pats on the head you'd like to offer me while we're in frame?
  5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Oh, I just LOVE it when a non-dancer thinks they know more about it than a dancer does. Oy.
  6. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

I think he meant well (this isn't the first time this has happened to me)... I suspect that part of "new teacher" training is to compliment and encourage students, and help them along as they can. But it's a weird dynamic when the student is more advanced than the instructor, so the intentions are transparent and it can feel a little condescending. It never fails to amaze me how often instructors in training seem taken by surprise that there are actually students at the studio who are way beyond their level... it's like they expected all the students to be beginners that they could treat like kindergarteners. (not *all* new instructors, obviously, but it's not uncommon).
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  7. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

So who's paying whom for the lesson?
    nikkitta and j_alexandra like this.
  8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Oh, Dear God! Not again! Here it comes (after being introduced by a student to her friend who wanted to dance at a tea dance)..... "Oh, I don't know any of this, but if I have a good enough lead, I can follow everything". I hope the sudden pain in my stomach and excused run to the restroom wasn't such an obvious bail. :brb:
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Active Member

Obviously new instructors are paired with new students... advanced students already have their existing advanced instructor. The intersection of the two at practice parties is where it gets interesting.

ETA: The incident I described above was at a practice party. That was not my instructor.
  10. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

OK, that makes sense. New instructors have to come from somewhere.
    Hedwaite likes this.
  11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I've taken a few group lessons from instructors who were less advanced. That is always an awkward lesson
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...I had an instructor think I was off time in samba because I was using the "and uh" before the one.....it was very awkward to have to explain that without making clear that he had no knowlege of technique
  13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Yup....main reason I stopped going to the beginner beginner lessons for my collegiate team.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

Don't they spring fully formed from the head of Terpsichore???
    twnkltoz, IndyLady and Joe like this.
  15. Hedwaite

One I just had to field in email:

"I want to dance, but my husband is too tall/too fat/too short/not enough rhythm/bla bla bla" which translates to "I don't know what I'm doing, but I want to make excuses for that and push the blame off on my partner."

Yeah, THAT will make him want to take lessons with you.

Or "Well, I've had millions of years of ballet tap and jazz as a teenager, so that will make anything I do wrong okay now that I'm forty-something with two left feet." (disclaimer for those who were overlooked by the sarcasm fairy: Yes, I know that b, t, and j can be helpful, but only if you know how to use it, etc.)

How about just shut up and take the beginner class? I don't know why people have such a hangup. It's like this guy I used to date who would clean a hotel room and pack the trash up all tidy so that the housecleaning wouldn't come in and see a dirty room. I guess and judge him for being untidy? I dunno.
  16. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

It's funny...the people who are most nervous and most sure that they will be bad at dancing usually learn the fastest.
    SwayWithMe and cornutt like this.
  17. Hedwaite

And the one who thinks they're fine but their partner isn't is usually the weaker link of the partnership.
    dancelvr, twnkltoz and SwayWithMe like this.
  18. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

It's not really silly, but when I try to explain what's Pro-am, people will be like 'oh it's like dancing with the stars?' I'm thinking, uh no, not really......
  19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I'd just met a married middle-aged lady at my church. Upon learning that I dance ballroom, she asked in quick succession my age and line of work.

"How are you NOT married?" she demanded, completely perplexed.
  20. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

"Uh....chase I spend all my free time in the studio?"

Granted, I'm young enough that not being married is more or less expected. But I feel your pain.