Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Another "Well, I've never HAD a dance lesson, but guys have led me through waltz and some other stuff I don't know for a little while" says the Easter Egg who took it upon herself to register for Level Two. God, we'd be so rich if we had a nickel for every time...
    twnkltoz likes this.
  2. Hedwaite

Also, again with the "Why aren't you married" for myself and the guy I dance with. "Because it's none of your d*mn business, that's why" is not an acceptable answer, but it would feel so good. I don't know why it's so important to people outside a partnership to see who's sleeping together and who isn't. It's really scandalous if we each dance with other semi-regular students or partners. "But doesn't your partner mind?" I always wish one of us could answer "Maybe, but this whole patriarchial oppression thing makes it difficult to concentrate on more than sandwich-making." *benign shrug & smile*
    Sania and Bailamosdance like this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Aside from the solo format, and the fact that the "stars" don't actually pay the pros, it kind of is. The pro teaches the amateur "star" to dance, and dances with them in the competition.
    MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think it is very different. In DWTS the pro teaches the star to dance a particular choreography that they may call 'foxtrot' or 'rumba', but they don't actually teach the star how to dance a foxtrot or rumba..if that makes sense. At the end of the show I always wonder if the star truly knows and understands the basic patterns and technique that a particular dance entails, or do they just know the particular routine that often is very dissimilar from the dance it is representing.
  5. Hedwaite

A lot of pro-am partnerships are like that though, debmc- people think they're learning "the dance", but they then have difficulty dancing with other people who don't know their choreography. It's one of the bigger negative stereotypes OF pro-am dead horse-beating on this board.

But back on topic, you know:
    When non-dancers try to explain something, do a terrible job at it, but since it's such a small community you know exactly which dancer did what. "That woman- she did her hand weird, kind of like this... what's that mean?"

"Oh, that's so and so- she took lessons from such and such for x years, and that's the style of this and that..." and you have to break off because you've already lost 'em.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  6. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

That seems like a good question to me!
  7. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

At many of our local studios instructor trainees have never done dancing. The only requirement is that they pay tuition. Most of them never dance outside their studio so they are insulated to the reality that they will probably never be qualified to teach dance lessons.

I have seen "instructors" that are so pathetic they can't even dance to the most simple of waltz music. God help those people who walk in the door and ask for a dance lesson!
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think TC is too busy pulling up old treads and merging threads to get married! ;)
    Lioness and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

QFT :cool:
  10. Hedwaite

11. architeuthis

architeuthis New Member

when I was still a collegiate NEWCOMER - "will you choreograph my wedding dance?" sure, if you want to do nothing but basics and underarm turns!
    Ailuene, IndyLady and Lioness like this.
  12. Hedwaite

We have people ask our students to teach them to dance, because they're too cheap and lazy to actually take a class like their friends are doing. Our students just scoff and tell them "You think we could dance if we did that? Take the class yourself."

One month away from this Big Special Charity in the area, and I get a message "Hi! We need more dancers! Do you know of ANYBODY right now who can do this for us? we're so freaking desperate" They're the ones who roped us into it three weeks before the event a couple years ago, and have NO IDEA what they're doing. They're charging $60 a seat with a crappy steamtable dinner, and they have four acts: 1- Zumba, 2-Line dancing, 3- a couple of drunks doing the Marsha Brady one behind the other (it's that thumb thing people who can't dance do, because one dork will not know how google or youtube works) 4- Maybe someone who can do a solo jazz, belly dance, or somesuch routine. One year, it was a drunk guy in his underwear dancing with a blowup doll. I'm not making this up. Worse, it goes from five until midnight.

Maybe stop assuming dancers pull snazzy routines and costumes out of their butts on short notice and act like you're grateful if they try to for you, just a thought.
    nikkitta likes this.
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

maybe stop thinking people who allow guys to dance with blow up dolls in their underwear have any common sense or decency or level of intelligence?
    Sania and nikkitta like this.
  14. Hedwaite

I had figured that was a given. Wasn't it?
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

gotcha...guess it sounded like you were considering participating again
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

In their defense (probably undeserved), they may have just not had the experience to know you should *always* see the routines at least once before they're performed and didn't have the nerves to pull an act off the floor once it had started.

Completely unrelated: I've been going to a good number of swing socials lately, and the usual misunderstanding of the difference between "competitive" and "professional" has been happening a lot.
  17. Hedwaite

Nah, the AV failure during our original visit cemented that.
  18. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

Remember the film "Little Miss Sunshine"? and her, non-previewed dance?
    FancyFeet likes this.
  19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Was at studio for my lesson. Wedding couple right before me....changed into my practice wear, and sat there waiting for them to be done.... On seeing me, the bride squealed, oh she looks so professional!!!! Do you dance with single ladies? How does that work? After which, pro had to patiently explain pro/ am to her. Then she decided to wait and watch few minutes of my lesson, screaming and exclaiming how awesome we looked and could she please learn that in her next lesson.... She is doing a wedding package/ choreographed dance and thinks she can learn that as part of her package.
  20. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Member

I've had something similar happen with me. Oh well though, at least they're excited about being in the studio and learning. Maybe she'll continue lessons after the wedding package as a result.

I go out in NYC a lot to latin clubs and dance salsa, bachata, and mambo and get the funniest comments from random men and women asking where I learned to dance. Often I get the comments telling me I don't look Spanish at all, and apparently it's a rarity that a blonde girl can dance well... at least in their world. Oh well, I just smile and have my own fun.