Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Interesting observation from someone: "Do you guys do EVERYTHING in sync?"

Dancing makes the tiniest, stupidest things easier to do: Finding that sweet spot of balance under some leftovers so you can just fork it all into a to-go box in one swoop, navigating mall foot-traffic without having to jerk to a halt, stumble, or grapevine out of someone's way (contra-body/chasses), weight-changes and settling while standing in line or browsing stuff at the store, etc. I didn't realize how much of this stuff dance nerds do that other people can notice. I'm just glad this happened when I was an adult- if I'd done this crap in grade school (where I thought I was a pony until I was seven?), I'd have been alllll kinds of mocked- understandably, if not justifiably- so.

cornutt and MaggieMoves like this.
  2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

So true. Thanks to dance, I've developed a sixth sense for when there's about to be a collision and can either avoid it or make sure I'm not the one who comes out of it all shaken up.

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

No new non-dancer ones, but have been getting a few gems from newer dancers lately:

Them (interrupting my practice where I have headphones in): Can you just quickly show us that one step from our group class that just finished that we can't remember?
    Me (sighing inwardly), gives super quick demo.
    Them: Could you go slower? And explain?
    Me: Your class instructor is sitting over there answering questions - why don't you go ask her?
    Them: But you're so good!
    Me: I really have my own stuff to work on that I need to get back to (Puts headphones back in and feels like a total b*tch.)

Bronze-ish dancer, watching me practice: You're so good! I wish I could dance like you.
    Me: It really just takes hard work. Take class/lessons, and practice in between.
    Them: But I always forget things! Can you help me?
    Me: Try taping your routines. Or writing them down. Or just working on basics at practice.
    Them: Oh, no, I can't do that. Can you help me practice? Like, watch me and tell me what to do?
    Me (in my head): Like, as-in, give up hours of my time to give you free lessons?
    Me (out loud): I'm sorry, I really can't.

Person who's been dancing longer than I have and is always at parties and group classes, takes the odd private: You know, it really wasn't cool that you danced your routine with your pro at the party this past weekend.
    Me: Huh?
    Them: Your tango. It took up lots of space and made people (which I interpreted to mean them) feel bad.
    Me: That wasn't a routine. We were just doing lead-follow. Mostly basics.
    Them: Well, it looked like a routine. Maybe you shouldn't dance together at parties.
    Me: What? We danced twice, in 3 hours. I'm a guest, just like you are... why shouldn't I dance with pro?
    Them: It looks like you're showing off.
    Me, who dislikes the parties and only goes to show support for the studio: (walks away)

4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Ugh...this is why I don't like people. ^^

cornutt, dancelvr, Phil Owl and 4 others like this.
  5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a thing I saw on FB - "I used to be a people person but people ruined it for me."

Omg though FF, I'm incredulous. I confess that I am not a huge fan of people practicing routines during socials if it interferes with other dancers (e.g. buzzing, colliding, cutting off, space hogging, etc), but it doesn't sound like that's what was happening at all. And if for some reason I did feel compelled to say something, which I never have, I would probably say it to the pro not the student. Wow. Just wow.

Phil Owl and FancyFeet like this.
  6. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I've had this happen before as well with a cha cha not very long ago, and he wasn't even my pro... just a guy I practice with somewhat often. Perhaps we were showing off a bit, but that's beside the point. It's also a reason I dislike a lot of social events. There's way too much catiness.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Cattiness? Sounds more like stupidness.

You could say, "well, one of these days your dancing will improve." :p

But that's Catty Loki talking...

8. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I tremble to hear what wolfy Loki might say.

Sania and IndyLady like this.
  9. FancyFeet

I'm serious about the basics too... think walks, progressive links, reverse turn, closed promenades, twist turn... there may have been a Spanish drag and a chase in there somewhere too, but that's about the only things that were above bronze. And I'm not the one choosing the figures, I'm the follow!

I felt bad after his comment, and have been mulling it over for days. I had fun during that dance, and really enjoyed just fooling around for 2 minutes... I hate that I'm letting some reverse dance snobbery get in my head and ruin the little bit of fun that I managed to have at that party.

danceronice and Dancing Irishman like this.
  10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

For anyone to say something dumb like that probably means you and your pro looked awesome, and they were envious

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I suspect there might be less talking, more chomping.

scullystwin42, leee and Loki like this.
  12. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

This is truly mind-boggling. At the studio that I go to, it is clear who the best amateur dancer is who also comes to parties. Sometimes when she dances with a pro (hers or another one), they are low key, but sometimes they go to town. Everybody LOVES IT when she does--I say "she", but it's obviously the decision of the leader, not her.

13. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Active Member

It a DANCE studio, for C*****sake! Not like you took over a wedding reception.

MaggieMoves, FancyFeet and bia like this.
  14. MaggieMoves

Sometimes that's fun too. :D

Phil Owl, Mr 4 styles and danceronice like this.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yes, especially when the bride's dad turns out to lead a mean hustle.

16. MaggieMoves

It's always nice finding people like this on a dance floor at a wedding. You just always seem to "know." At my brother's wedding there was this random guy there that knew how to swing really well.

scullystwin42 and Phil Owl like this.
  17. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Will never forget a wedding I was a groomsman in circa 2003. I kid you not I was the ONLY person in that wedding party that actually knew how to dance with a partner, I was floored, and not in a good way.

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

DW and I once cleared the floor at a company function by doing a VW. o_O:cool:

19. MaggieMoves

For me it was a Samba at an Indian wedding. Forget the song, but it was pure Bollywood.

Sania likes this.
  20. FancyFeet

"You're a natural."

I mean, I get that this is intended to be a compliment, but no, I'm not a natural. I may have some natural talent, but I work my *ss off to be able to dance like that, spending huge amounts of time, money and energy going over and over and over the tiniest of movements to be able to replicate them perfectly without fail in stressful situations. I think what you meant to say was "you made that look so natural and easy".

(I just said "thank you".)