Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I posted something on facebook about owning horses or equestrianism or something, and a friend of mine commented, "Being a kitty mommy is a full time job, too!" I had to walk away from the computer. ***, really? You want to compare owning cats to owning horses? I think not. Having had both all my life, I can say with authority they are not even close on the commitment scale.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

honestly...if it wasn't for the reputation of my pro and my husband, because some people are just stupid enough to miss the sarcasm, I'd be tempted to pop off about it with some sort of explicit innuendo....but, like I said....:rolleyes:
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have a song I like that I think would make a fun "funny" showcase--"England 2 Columbia Nil". It's playful, it's cheeky, it would work great with a partner who is willing to goof around. Great! And I thought about suggesting it--until I realized the 'punchline' of the song is that the date the singer is complaining about, who lied to her and implied he was single, "forgot he has three children and forgot he has a wife."

Yeah, guess how many kids NP and his wife have?

And while no one on EARTH who knows him would think a showcase with that song was anything but funny, still...people make enough stupid assumptions about dance teachers.
  4. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

Ditto! Can't remember how many times I have heard this!
  5. gracie

gracie Active Member

When are you going to be on DWTS?
    MissSongbird, middy and stash like this.
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL...have to admit to having heard this one a couple of times...
  7. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Me too! I simply reply that I'm not a "star", to which I hear "but you could be a pro". LOL As if!
  8. tancos

tancos Member

That's OK. None of the people they've been getting for the last few years I would consider "stars".
  9. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

'The guy who can dance gets the girl'.
    Biggest fairy tale on the planet.
    Not sure who came up with that crap, either people who haven't a clue or dance studios in an effort to drum up business.
    manteca likes this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...get that allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time.....
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

more than a couple over here, lolz. that probably has to get the gold star for being the #1 comment, IME...
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

My number 1 comment is the old "Doesn't your BF mind?"

He doesn't mind, lol, but he thinks that it's weird I'm still dancing with my ex...
  13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That may mean he minds, L. Just sayin. :cool:
  14. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

A few years back, a dance instructor was featured in a newspaper article for his teaching ballroom dancing to grade school children.

I showed the article to my father, who responded that he didn't think it was a good idea. It was making the children grow up too fast.

Huh?? What's wrong about giving children a structured way to interact with the opposite gender.
  15. Aura

Aura Active Member

"Well, I can guarantee you that [insert sport here] is more athletic than dancing." :roll:

This came from a young man who was quite proud of the fact that he was an excellent soccer player and runner, but had never taken any formal dance classes.
  16. pygmalion

Why am I not surprised by this? :wink:
  17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Nope. We had a talk about it, and he's completely fine with it now.

Especially since he's met and started hanging out with the ex...no chance of me getting back together with him at all...
  18. pygmalion

Glad to hear it, L. :cool:
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I get the "you should be on DWTS" comment too... and they don't seem to understand why that statement is ridiculous.

When I try to explain pro am dancing, I also have heard "oh, so your teacher does all the work, you just have to follow him?", or "so your teacher makes you look good?"

I have also heard "why do you need special costumes, shoes, etc to dance?"... this coming from people who totally get why male athletes i.e. basketball, football players need to wear what they wear.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, IMO soccer is way more athletic than ballroom.