Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BenjaminT

BenjaminT Member

That would depend on how you define and weight the general physical fitness skills each sport requires and at what levels. Then there's longevity to consider. That being said...

The funniest thing I ever saw was a professional Latin dancer's bare legs; he didn't have any. I swear my calves were bigger than his thighs. So if I ever feel over-powered by sharing the floor with the pros I just pull that little image back up and smile. I do met-cons with weights that would pin them to the floor.

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

In terms of fitness required, there's absolutely no comparison between soccer and ballroom, sorry.

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Wolfgang. Don't want to start a nineteen-page tangent *hint hint* but this current conversation reminds me of the time a professional power lifter started lessons at the ballroom studio I attended at the time. Leaving aside, for a moment, the fact that all the women loved him and more than a few signed up for personal training. (Yep. Really legit personal training. Get your mind out of the gutter. :wink: :lol: ) The power lifter guy got winded easily compared to the more experienced/aerobically fit dancers, was super stiff, and had major problems with both frame and gentle/flexible leads.

Every sport is different and may require a different skill set. Different skill sets != more or less athleticism, IMHO.

And all righty then ... BOT, anyone?

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, it's one thing to run around a pitch looking like a gorgeous, sweaty brute, but quite another to run around a ballroom with an air of blissful non-disturbance. :rolleyes:

i think the nature of these two different kinds of athleticism is different, and elite ballroom athletes are no "less" than soccer players just because their excellence is of another type. IMHO...

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's right. elite ballroom dancers are clearly far more comprehensively fit. :cool:

alexandrahweis likes this.
  6. pygmalion

This.

7. Aura

Aura Active Member

Indeed. That's primarily what I disagree with. Soccer and dancing have very different types of athleticism, but when you get right down to it, professional athletes are well-trained in their field and no less "athletic" than any other professional.

For the record, I want to see him try ballroom.

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think the argument about which sport is more athletic is a silly one. What's the point? They all have different purposes.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Seriously. I mean, define "fitness." Even different STYLES of ballroom require different types of energy.

Of course, the fittest people I know gallop racehorses (exercise them) for a living. *shrug* I don't get into contests with them about who has the harder sport. I've galloped on a track with an old slow horse where I know the brakes (if not the steering) work. I'd rather skate for two hours. A race-fit two-year-old could probably rip my arms off.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, how could that be...the horse does all the work!!!

:tongue:

*bwahahaha*

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

LOL, that's one place even horse people underestimate how strong you have to be!

12. pygmalion

This.

13. Aura

Aura Active Member

In the same vein from the same young man, "I bet I could beat you all in a dance-off!" Ah college, where the testosterone rages and the students try to slay their inner laziness.

14. pygmalion

My response *might* be "Go for it!" Then let him try. I suspect that *might* shut his rather large mouth. :lol:

15. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gahDuOff8

Best quote is at 0:16. :)

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

interesting how that all varies depending upon perspective...I teach fitness and I frequently find my lessons to be of equal or greater workout...I take several shirts to m lessons and almost cannot walk after the two hour drive home...granted, I take three hours of lessons at a time, but, I do find a good deal of it to be demanding...my sense of it is that most folks think dance will be far easier than it is...at least really good dancing

and even though I do compete, I am never asked if I compete....I am always asked if I teach...

17. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

This.

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea...still different...outside of dance most people aren't even aware of competing in general, let alone asking with reference specific to me...at least, not IME...inside of dance, they all know I compete and don't teach...shrug...interesting to see how unique each experience is ....one thing they do all ask-- if they know I have competed-- is; "did you win?" which as always interesting to have to try to answer because I rarely dance less than 70 events...I have danced twice that....it isn't a yes or no answer :)

19. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I invited a few people to my last comp, my mom included. Every one of them asked me what time I danced. All you can tell them is what time it starts. The day before they asked again what time do you dance. Heck, I dont know, I am dancing 72 heats it starts at this time.
    Then comes the question, what is a heat? (sometimes I replace heat with entry, seems to be less confusing).

All to familiar, I got this question as well!

20. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

A movie several years ago. I think it was "Mad about Mambo" in which a Northern Irish soccer-playing lad started taking dance lessons because a Latin American player recruited into a European team mentioned that dance steps improved his playing.

Though in a Science 80 magazine article (from 1980, not surprisingly; while still in publication, the magazine would update its title for the new year ... very excellent magazine!), the issue about aerobic exercise and weight loss was examined. Turns out that if you simply diet, then the body goes into starvation mode and holds on tight to the fat cells that it has, making weight loss virtually impossible. The secret turned out to be to change your activity level so that your body's "fat thermometer" would get reset to carrying a lesser amount of fat. And it was aerobic exercise that would do that. But aerobic exercise required at least 20 minutes of what is now termed as "cardio". That article specifically mentioned dancing as not being aerobic, because the motion was not continuous for at least 20 minutes. Though I suspect that they were looking at dance performances and not social dancing. Still ... .

Several years ago at a local Lindy venue, I was conversing with a younger Chinese woman whose mother had previously attended and with whom I had danced. She told me that her mother was shocked at what the dancers were doing, and kind of provided a glimpse for what dancing was "back in the day". "You crazy! You dance every dance!" Nowadays, the dance itself is why we're out there. But "back in the day", when her mother was dancing, it was a social event, not a dancing event. You would sit back and socialize and then maybe once every third or fourth dance you would go out there and dance. The emphasis then was on the socializing, whereas the emphasis now is on the dancing itself.