Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I remember one New Year's Eve several years ago. It was a social gathering of middle-aged singles associated with a local mega-church at the home of a member who had been instrumental in organizing dance classes for that age-group (albeit against the Baptist anti-dance sensibilities of the senior pastors). On PBS they were broadcasting a ballroom competition. They were into the Latin competition and, of course, quite naturally, I was looking at the techniques and moves that were being used. And as I watched, I noticed that more and more of the guys there were crowding around the TV. Cool!, I thought, until I finally realized that all those guys were interested in was the skimpy appearance of the ladies' Latin costumes.
  2. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

"Can't you just skip practice/lessons??"
  3. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

This is, hands down, the number one immediate response when someone finds out I am a dancer.

But a few select others:

"Wow, I'll bet you're really good."

"Let's see it!" (Followed by a lengthy explanation of PARTNER dancing)

"Did you see DWTS last night?"

"Is it expensive?"

"Do you have to practice?"

"What dance do you do?"

"Wow, so there is more than one couple on the floor at a time?"

And, my favorite: "Are you in dating your teacher?" (followed immediately, when I say no, by "Oh, so he's gay?" which is both annoying and oddly flattering...)
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

"You don't want to be too tanned!"
  5. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

"I can follow anything. I just need a strong lead."
  6. Aura

Aura Active Member

Dancing can't be that hard.
  7. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Silliest thing? "You are a really good dancer." It always cracks me up - I have not even finished bronze.

Funniest thing? To husband & me after we finished a dance at a wedding: "You two cheated."
  8. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

"isn't 100 stones a lot on a dress? How many thousands?"
  9. Dupont

Dupont Member

Great entertainment

This thread is the most entertaining, especially its title "Silly things non-dancers say".

Keep going - the reservoir is endless, isn't it?
  10. fayeh

fayeh Member

"You are so lucky you get to travel all the time and see different cities!"

What they don't know is that when we travel, we arrive at airport, fly, arrive at destination, go to hotel and rest, competition next day, fly out again the day after if we don't have to stay to teach. All I ever see are hotels, competition venue and airports!
  11. davedove

davedove Active Member

That's not so awfully silly. You can be a good dancer without being a highly trained one. Of course it's all relative and the more you learn, typically the better you are, but still I've seen some good dancers that could follow really well but were only beginning students.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Seriously. People don't believe me that I haven't had a vacation in two years (about to change, yay.) But for example when I did Manhattan, I got there, got to the hotel, and didn't see the light of day for 36 hours straight. The only reason I saw any of New York besides the hotel and the train station was a friend of a friend offered to take me to lunch in Chinatown before my train!
  13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

We had someone call the studio the other day looking for swing dance lessons for her wedding. She'd been to two other studios, and they insisted on teaching her and her fiance this dorky triple step thing. She'd had ballet for years, so she already knew how to dance. She wanted to learn the fancy lifts and tricks and didn't care about all that other stuff.

*facepalm*
    manteca likes this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Oh, she wanted to go back to 1998.
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

what can you do...some people just know everything ....yeppers
  16. fayeh

fayeh Member

"Vacation!" What's that? It seems like dancing competitions and dance training doesn't offer vacation time... The time you take off from dancing, someone is improving a lot more than you... I guess it's the same with any high level competition sport.

However, have a great vacation, danceronice!
  17. BreAna

BreAna Member

sometimes I catch myself doing voltas or doing hip action whenever if I take a side step work and my boss has said things like "what the hell was that?" or "you WOULD do that and actually look comfortable" (she's a little rough around the edges...)
    manteca likes this.
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

From a friend - "I want to put some rhinestones on a shirt. Can you help me?" (I stone all my own dresses) Me - How many stones do you want? Friend - "Would 20 be too many?"
  19. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Are the dresses expensive?
  20. bia

bia Well-Known Member

:uplaugh: