Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Aura

Aura Active Member

How can you not be uncomfortable dancing like that?

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

She's going to throw her hip out dancing like that! I'm serious! I'm a nurse!

3. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

:confused: I don't know the answer to that one. I'm only a noob and I'm also a man, which probably doesn't help, :lol: but that doesn't seem like such a daft question to me.

4. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's less a "non-dancer" thing than a "non-competitor" thing. I would bet that many competitors have strong memories of the sticker shock that hit them when they first starting looking for a competition costume; that memory is why I found it funny. When I think about it, what amazes me at this point is that the prices have come to seem normal (though I'm not personally paying them yet, since I'm still dancing under amateur syllabus costume restrictions, and grateful for it). For your reference -- a very good price for a nice *used* gown is $1000. New, you're talking multiples of that.

5. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

:shock: Mother of God. What drives that? Is it a product of a captive market and/or insufficient competition, or do they genuinely cost that much to produce? Sorry for wandering off topic, but I have to ask!

6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

A good bit of it is the cost to produce. You need high quality fabric for stretch, flow, and look, and a whole lot of it -- many layers of very full skirts. More details than in a non-dance gown, like the built-in bodysuit. And extensive decoration to sparkle on the floor -- many thousands of high quality rhinestones, maybe feathers dyed to match the dress -- which aren't cheap to begin with, and then you're paying for the labor to apply them all by hand. And then with the fact that it's not really that big a market, plus there's a high value for individuality (every competitor wants to stand out from the others on the floor), so it's not clear how you could mass-produce. One thing that makes it better, though, is that the resale market is well established. A high quality gown is likely to go through a whole series of owners, with a decrease in price at each step, so you can generally expect to make some of your money back. Plus there's the possibility to rent gowns instead of buying, which can be cost-effective for people who don't compete as frequently.

All that said, yeah, it takes some work for the average person to get their head around such prices.

7. twnkltoz

What bia said...there is a LOT of money in materials, plus hours and hours of labor, plus the specialized knowledge it takes to make a competition gown properly (body suit, the right flow, shoulders that don't bunch up, etc.) and staying up on current fashion. The price is well deserved.

I know someone who used to had make lutes. He charged $14,000 for one. When you get artisan work, you have to expect to pay through the nose.

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It's VERY hard to sew with the fabrics involved, and stoning is..well, it took me about ten hours in labor terms to put only maybe ten gross of stones in a non-detailed pattern on a dress I didn't have to make. Twenty or thirty gross of stones in a floral pattern? I'd stab myself.

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

The other day someone at work suggested that I take them to a ballroom dance. They said they had never taken any lessons but they would be fine because they "picked things up very quickly". Actually this person does have a good grasp of dance movement in general, but I can't imagine her quickly being able to follow a chacha or waltz without prior instruction.

10. twnkltoz

I was showing a friend a video of a WCS flash mob. I said it was really cool, but what was too bad was that onlookers wouldn't be able to join in like they would if it were the macarena or whatever that's easy to pick up. She said, "Oh, I don't know. I watched it a few times and I was able to memorize it by watching."

It took my husband and me an hour to figure it out and memorize it by watching the video. I changed the subject with my friend before it became a big thing.

11. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

When your friend said she had memorized it after just a few times, you could have asked her to dance the moves, to demonstrate. :rolleyes:

12. twnkltoz

If she weren't in another state (we were chatting via IM) and mostly confined to a wheelchair, I would have.

13. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Oh...didn't know that...then I guess there's no way to know what she did, or didn't memorize.

Aside from this particular person, though, it does seem pretty common for people to think dance steps are easy to pick up. I've seen that on numerous DWTS episodes where the celebs are surprised to find out it's not so simple.

14. twnkltoz

Well, she may have memorized the sequence, but that doesn't mean she could do it, and especially with a partner! It's just a ridiculous notion.

I've had students who tried to learn steps on youtube and then come to me to "just polish it a little" and we had to back way up and start almost from scratch. Personally, and maybe it's just because I've developed the skill over the past 17 years of dancing, I can pick up a single pattern from a video fairly quickly. a whole sequence takes a bit longer.

15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I remember my old amateur partner telling me about how her father couldn't understand why she needed to take lessons after going to see Burn the Floor. After all, she had just seen the people dance, shouldn't that be enough for her to be able to do it?

pygmalion likes this.
  16. davedove

davedove Active Member

I have to agree. While being able to memorize the sequence is useful and important, especially for routines to perform, there is a big difference in actually dancing it.

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

"Why do you have to tan, and dress up? Couldn't you just compete in normal clothes?"

18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Just discovered this thread, and here's a few that I've gotten...

"There's no point in taking lessons. Either you're born with it or you're not."

"Do you know how to do [insert name of latest fad dance here]?"

"You dance with other women? And your wife dances with other men? Are you swingers?"

"Ballroom music is so old and stuffy. I want to dance to something that's been done in the last fifty years."

"Have you danced with [insert name of DWTS female pro here]?"

"Do you have to wear a leotard?"

pygmalion likes this.
  19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! Those are hilarious! :)

20. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

The one I always get at uni is:
    "I wouldn't consider ballroom dancing a sport."

Oddly enough they always bail when I offer to show them how to do a basic jive to improve their judgement :p

Mr 4 styles, pygmalion and cornutt like this.