Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Do you throw your partner up in the air?
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

"
    this from golfers... and bowlers...:cool:
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

And NASCAR drivers
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

totally agree!!
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Yes, when she misses the lead for a develope. :D
    Terpsichorean Clod and twnkltoz like this.
  6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

How is this one not here yet?! "Did you win?"

Uh... no? yes? sort of? Do you consider fourth place out of eight in open "winning"? Oh but wait, let me explain what the levels are, and how heats and scoring works....

Nowadays I usually go with "I did better than/worse than/about as well as I thought I would".
    pygmalion and twnkltoz like this.
  7. My "now" mom in-law who saw mi dance rhumba before I married my husband. I over heard her saying: "Tell your gf to stop dancing like that. And the clothes, don't let her wear anything like that."

I was a bit offended but just ignored her.
    Chr0n likes this.
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Just say yes. They'll never know the difference. *grin*
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  9. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

This is so true! Thanks for the tip with "I did better/worse than I thought I would", I'll try that next time.
  10. Janson

Janson Active Member

The winning one is so true...
    Especially in collegiate, 'no, I did not come 1st place out of 60 or so couples...'.
    They're usually happy with 'I made a semi/final'.
    Saying you got through 4 rounds just sparks confusion.
  11. leee

leee Active Member

Any day now I'm expecting Miss Silly to flood this thread with the choicest bons mots.
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

"Wow, you're practically a pro!"

Haha, I wish...have you *seen* a pro dance?!

Side note, when people ask what the winners get at competitions, saying that all you receive is a ribbon just feels very silly.
  13. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Yes, this is so true!
    I mean the same people that say this would look at you like you are a morron if you say your friend has been playing football for a year and therefore is a pro. Yet, if you go to dancing conpetitions you are automatically seen as a pro. Even trying to explain, that I'm competing in Beginner doesn't help. Just ridicolous :/
    debmc, cornutt and middy like this.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have had the same experience. When non dancers hear that I ballroom dance and compete they usually say... "oh, you must be a pro now!", and then I try to explain that I am an amateur, dancing proam, the different levels of proam, all the reasons why I am not nor will ever be a pro, and they say something like "oh, I know you could be a pro. Just have more confidence" !
    ajiboyet likes this.
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Oh, I LOVE it when my non-dancer friends try to give me advice about dancing.
  16. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

...how?! why?!
  17. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

LMAO!!!
  18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

"It's all salsa."

I live in a place where the most popular partner dance by far is salsa. The next is probably tango, and people know it because it's an English word...it's not like they know anything about the actual dancing.

I remember I was playing Libertango on my laptop one day, and someone started telling me about how it sounds like a salsa, and all the music sounds the same. Like, Astor Piazzolla's Libertango? Seriously? I didn't even know where to start from...
  19. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

Just nod, smilie and think 'screw you' :)
  20. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic.