Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bookish

bookish Active Member

"It's easy; if you have two left feet just replace 'left, right' with 'left, left'" -- Isn't there a joke that goes something like that?
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Reminds me of how an instructor once told me to count hustle: "One, one, and one..."
    twnkltoz likes this.
  3. bookish

bookish Active Member

Now that's a good one. Pretty accurate too.
    cornutt likes this.
  4. Dupont

Dupont Member

This one is a silly thing, but is said by a dancer. A bad dancer, though (me).

Fishes must be good at following, because the water conducts electricity and vibrations well, so they feel each other's bodies much better than people do. Just watch a school of fish to convince yourself - the leading and following is imperceptible yet perfect. All they need is an AM chain...
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    j_alexandra likes this.
  5. sudoplatov

sudoplatov Member

Well, one can be taught the difference in the left foot and the other left foot.
  6. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I like the condescending "Okay, WAIT a minute... you're teaching, and you STILL take lessons?"

A lot of people might disagree, and maybe it does seem like it's semantics, but I believe there's a difference between "takin' lessons"- group class, even the once-weekly private lesson many typical social dancers take, and "instruction" or "coaching" (hence the price change and other elements of it?) with different intents/purposes. Not that I could enlighten someone who'd ask a question like that, though.
  7. raindance

raindance Active Member

"Even the world champions are still taking lessons" seems to quiet some of them, from what I have seen. (e.g. my teacher will tell that to students)
    twnkltoz likes this.
  8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Yes, I had a student come in one night and he saw a couple of teachers working together. My student, who had been dancing for some time, said, "Is so and so taking a lesson? I wouldn't think he would need lessons since he's a teacher." I used the world champion line raindance posted above. I also often add, "You want your instructor to be taking lessons. That means they are continually growing and improving so they can teach you better."
    Hedwaite likes this.
  9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Y'know, it's funny... School teachers have in-work days, and nobody says "Why do they have to do that? They're already teachers."
  10. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Yes, and a lot of professions require some kind of continuing education.
  11. Hedwaite

"Why don't you have music going all the time?"

Because if you can't dance without music, why do you think you could WITH music? That, and it's distracting and annoying to me to have to talk over it.
  12. Hedwaite

"I don't know. I just don't see you as, you know, a dancer." Insert up-and-down Significant Gaze.

I know, right? It's hardly fair that someone bigger than you can do something you should be able to. Glad I didn't think that way, or I wouldn't be dancing. What's your excuse?
  13. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Wow, I can't believe they would say that! How rude.
  14. Hedwaite

Oh, yes. She was another (Professional)dance teacher (ballet, tap, jazz, which, among my people, means "glorified babysitter who peddles glittery personalized swag to gullible Husband's Money stage moms"- postdated generalization alert with "Yes, I know they really do exist elsewhere" disclaimer) who had met a rebound piece she wanted to take on a Caribbean cruise, so she thought the only dance she'd need to learn would be salsa. She frowned when she handed me the sign-up sheet and made quite a BFD about it. In the end, I asked "Should I apologize? I feel like my appearance has somehow offended you..." and that was when that little gem came out. Nobody missed her when she left for her cruise and got it out of her system, because during slack-time, she would tear off across the floor doing gran jetes or fouettes without regard to who was nearby. She... was actually kind of mental, I think. I get that she was smokin' hot and all, and sure, she had some mad ballet skillz that probably impressed every little nutcracker-to-be (take that how you will)... but not on my hardwood.
    Dancing Irishman and Ailuene like this.
  15. RookieDancer

RookieDancer New Member

Replying to old post, but whatevs ....

I've seen bronze 4 and silver 1 dancers who can't even do basic cuban motion. I know a bronze 3 student whose waltz barely has any rise and fall to it and whose posture looks more like that of a pre-bronze rather than a full bronze. Dude is literally completely hunched over.

So, medalist levels largely don't mean much. If anything, it means you paid enough in tuition money to get to that level. I'm a bronze 2 myself, and I told my instructor that I'd rather be the best bronze 2 that ever lived than a mediocre full bronze so don't go advancing me when I don't deserve to.

Getting back to the thread topic ... I get asked by newbies at my studio if I'm an instructor all the time. I'm not sure what makes them think this. I'd like to think it's because I'm good or something, but I don't think I'm that good. My instructor says it's because I'm good, but of course she's gonna say something like that ... I'm her student.

I also get the "so when are you gonna be on DWTS" line a lot. The general public has no idea just how good a pro is, so they assume that I can be the pro. Can't say I blame them though. I had no idea either. I remember being completely blown away when I saw my instructor perform for the first time.
    IndyLady likes this.
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

From a coworker who saw me practicing latin in the company gym: "man, were you doing tai chi in tap shoes in there?" Easily the strangest question I've ever gotten.

Second the dancing with the stars one. One of my friends compared it to asking a tennis player training for Wimbledon if they were aspiring to be on a tv show where they played doubles with an out of shape "celebrity" partner. My apologies to fans of the show, if there are any left after they added crap like contemporary to their mainstay dances.
    IndyLady, llamasarefuzzy and dancelvr like this.
  17. Hedwaite

Heard it again tonight, forget if I've shared it already:

"Wow- you're a dance teacher? You must be raking in THE CASH!"

And the favorite complete newcomers like to ask after their first lesson in anything: "So that's the whole dance, then?"
    IndyLady and twnkltoz like this.
  18. Jahmeir Graham

Jahmeir Graham New Member

"Is that all you do is dance?"

"yes .__."
    cornutt likes this.
  19. davedove

davedove Active Member

I just got back from another Dancing with the Stars at Sea cruise, where I again danced with Kym. Plus, I danced a bit of salsa with Emma Slater, who is a real sweetheart.
    twnkltoz likes this.
  20. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Can those DWTS people do good social dancing? Sorry, I know my question is off topic but I'm curious.