Simple, cheap and portable dancefloor?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Lucretia, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Do anyone know how to make a simple (construction), cheap and portable dancefloor?

We are havign a Rueda show at an outdoor stone scene. And the floor is a disaster. Last week a singer broke her knee. Her body did a spin but not her right foot.

We where thinking about spreading a tarpaulin to make the floor faster.

Have you any other suggestions?

/luc
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

3. digitalguy2k

digitalguy2k New Member

Quick Dance Floor

At some Congresses, I've seen the organizers secure down simple plywood and put a coating of varnish or similar on there three or four nights prior. 4x4 or 5x5 squares secured down together with screws. The next morning after, I remember being asked to come to the hall some hour in the morning to help pack it up and get a free t-shirt.

Weldon
  4. diputs

diputs New Member

What is the current surface and where are you located?

Here in NYC, the closest to obtaining all three requirements would be to rent some marley. Make sure you get a marley floor that was used for modern dance and not ballet. A Ballet floor will have rosin on it. If you want the marley floor faster you could always throw down some talc. And if you want it slower, you can mop it with a can of coke.

Simple, Cheap, Portable, pick two out of three!!
  5. samny

samny New Member

Get a big piece of linoleum and duct tape it down. We've used that for house parties, it's cheap, easy and works great.
  6. dTas

dTas New Member

yeah! the linoleum idea is great! i've done it a few times myself. you can get a 10x15 ft role cheap! $25 or less if you go to a remnant store. then use a ton of duct tape to hold it down.
  7. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

The scene is circula with a radius of 3 meter. I guess we could manage with a square 4x4 or 5X5 meter.

Linoleum sounds like agood idea. It is simple, portable and cheap (if I can manage to pursuade our local paint&floor retailer to give it to us for free. Perhaps they need some publicity.)

Perhaps we can manage to make a dancefloor for the audience and the local salsacommunity as well :D

/Luc
  8. lujan

lujan New Member

I recently had to build my own dancefloor, there is some info on how I did it here: http://www.dance-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9948

The total cost was about $150USD and it collapses down small enough to fit in a family sedan with the back seats down.
  9. Lucretia

Lucretia New Member

Does anyone know if just linoelum will work or if any kind of "plastic" floor will do?

Lujan,
    since we are doing a Rueda and need more space I guess it will be too much work making a floor of plyfa or plywood. I any case - it will take to much time to do it modular and easy to move. And we only have 6 days left until performance....But it is great idea.

/Luc
  10. Socialite Steppers

Socialite Steppers New Member

So guys help me to understand. You all just got a roll of linoleum and taped it to the floor? What stopped it from rolling back up?
  11. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Welcome to the DF. Please note that the thread was from 7 yrs past.
  12. womanizerzz

womanizerzz New Member

How can we stop breaking our knees with ceramic floor ? Especially in ballroom dancing.
  13. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

packing tape on the bottom of your shoes