Sleeveless Jacket Vest Thingy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Leon Theou, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I am considering purchasing one of those Smooth vests that are basically jackets with the arms cut off. My concern is that if I were to begin competing in normal amateur events (I currently dance only in collegiate comps), I am not sure whether such a thing would be allowed in syllabus. Is it a vest, which is allowed, or is it a jacket, which does not seem to be permitted?

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

check the USA dance rule pages

3. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

That is precisely the issue. The rules allow a vest/cardigan/pullover. The question is whether or not the garment in question is considered a vest for the purposes of the rule.

4. Mr 4 styles

my interpretation is it is not legal for syllabus

and i dont remember anyone wearing that except in open at any comp recently

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, do you have a picture of the sort of jacket/vest you're talking about, Leon?

6. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

It's a vest, they are no sleeveless jackets lol

7. Mr 4 styles

[​IMG]

174,000 more where that came from LOL

Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

9. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Many of the dance tailors talk of "sleeveless jackets" as opposed to vests and mean that they are cut significantly longer than a normal vest. And generally have a jacket-like lapel/collar structure -- ie, they really are a dance jacket that just doesn't have sleeves. I have one that I love, but i use mainly for shows/demostrations, or sometimes for non-casual socials. (I bought it at the same time as I got my regular dance jacket, so I was covered for competition... I do always have the sleeveless jacket as a back up in case of problems with the jacket)

I haven't looked at the USA dance rules, but I'm fairly certain that the sleeveless jackets would be looked at a little oddly. They'd be disallowed at collegiate events that say no-costumes at newcomer/bronze.

10. Mr 4 styles

agree having the collar is what makes it a jacket

11. JudeMorrigan

Phooey, I'm reasonably confident that that was NOT the sort of sleeveless jacket that Leon was referring to. :)

But yeah, I have a long vest that I feel confident is 100% syllabus legal (having worn it at multiple comps, including one where everyone had to have an invigilator check their outfits when checking in), but I admit that it doesn't have a collar or lapels. I honestly don't know if that would cause a costume invigilator to take issue with it.

12. Mr 4 styles

ding ding hence a vest

if you look at the USA dance rule book drawings ,there is no collar on their vest

invigilators dont always catch everything at every event either just saw that in Chicago. But you would hate to go to Nationals and have an issue

13. JudeMorrigan

Hence my original asking for a clarification on what we were talking about. I'm not sure why I'm getting this snark.

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think "jacket without sleeves" was the best description of the type of vest OP is referring to. I knew immediately what he was talking about. Can't comment on whether it is OK for a USA Dance event, though.

15. Mr 4 styles

you arent getting it from me .. i was agreeing with you on the definition

although the snark value of this is modest at least

this is the comment to which the picture was directed

16. JudeMorrigan

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood.

17. Mr 4 styles

no worries that happens a lot online

communication is hard with typed words only :(

18. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

LOL, I had to read this post because the title was funny...
    Go figure, I can answer this.

My husband wore this smooth vest described in many USADance regional and national events without issue. This was silver level.

He would wear this vest with a black shirt. The last National competition we attended he was approached after a quarter round and advised that a black shirt was not allowed and would not be allowed to dance in the semi with a black shirt, so be careful of this.... But the vest never came into question and clearly they were looking for such violations...

It was a big disappointment for us and a hard lesson learned to know the rules.

A smooth professionally made vest can run around the 1K mark so to be safe I would contact USA directly before you have one made if this is a deciding factor in the investment.... My information is 2 years old and rules may have changed.

Oh, also I just realized...

Costume rules do vary by age group.
    We danced in the Sr level, and at least for the lady costume restrictions are very different than at the collegiate level....

For sure, contact USADance.....

19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I danced a Gold Smooth event at an NQE where we were one of only two couples, and we knew the USAD rep was watching. Wore my Smooth vest with lapels, and no mention of it was made.

20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I don't see the problem, a vest is a vest, with or without lapels. Nowhere in the dress code does it say anything about vests not being allowed to have lapels.