Sleeveless Jacket Vest Thingy

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Leon Theou, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I use a long vest with lapels. It has passed multiple costume checks. They gave me a hard time about my tie that has black textures on it that you cannot see from more than a foot away, but no problem with the long vest.

2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I know several dancers that have worn these sorts of vests without issue in sanctioned USA Dance NQE events.

3. Easy

Easy Active Member

Funny sometimes what the hard line rules focus on sometimes. It's all in the wording. Some of you think it's a jacket without the sleeves, others, including me, have always looked at it like a vest with lapels, or pockets, or double breasted, etc. I've never owned a jacket without sleeves.

Because you have to abide by the rules, maybe it'd be safest to get a vest without the questionables but with a longer cut. Longer vests drape well and move nicely. With a tie and at a distance, the lapel probably wouldn't look much different anyway.

I wish the rules were more taste conscious. The rules are and should be mostly about dancing. Whatever the level, open or closed, it seems anti creative to limit too much. I can see where things need to be age appropriate and so forth, but we don't control hair color, hairstyle, etc. People have different body types and different opinions about how to present themselves. They also have different budgets. Anyhow before I keep rambling, I just want to say I feel that costuming is part of the performance, and I don't see why, if it's done in good taste, that competitors can't have more control over what they wear.

They couldn't possibly look as weird as some of the outfits the judges show up in for work ;)

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Lapels:
    [​IMG]

Vest or jacket? :rolleyes:

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's absolutely asinine how tails are permitted, but if you're not wearing tails you have to wear a white shirt.

stash likes this.
  6. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

You can wear a black shirt if doing smooth, but must be white shirt if doing standard.

7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i think wearing a white shirt is important if you look at the drawings in the rule book

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I agree completely. We are going to compete start competing novice soon and tails are super expensive (from what I hear), and a black shirt stands out as not looking syllabus and blending more with the tails. It's open... if women are allowed to dress up in costumes then men should be able to as well...

Easy likes this.
  9. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Long-sleeved black cardigan can be a nice alternative

10. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Costumes do not provide much advantage over non-costumes in syllabus. Nobody moves enough to take advantage of the floats. In fact, most of the time, the floats are being pulled downward by gravity than floating. I rather have the girl wear nothing on their arms than to see that.

dlliba10 likes this.
  11. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

My favorite is seeing Standard floats in Newcomer or Smooth ... Did I say favorite? Because I mean the exact opposite.

mindputtee likes this.
  12. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I love when men put effort into the way they look on the floor. High five!

13. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

I think the problem is that the dress code does not define what a "vest" is. Of the dozen or so dictionary definitions I looked up, they all agree that a vest has no sleeves, most of them agree that it is waist-length, and in only a few cases mention that it has no collar. So depending on which dictionary definition you use I suppose you could define a vest as a sleeveless, waist-length garment with no collar; a sleeveless, waist-length garment; a sleeveless garment with no collar; or just a sleeveless garment. I'm sure that could lead to differing interpretations of the dress code by different invigilators at different competitions.

14. Easy

Easy Active Member

I agree with stash. Women aren't limited to only wearing black or white. Why should the guys be limited? As long s he still looks like the man, it'd be nice to have a little creative freedom.

On another note, a guy with a big belly or a guy who doesn't keep his abs toned should dancing doesn't look so good in a short only to the waist cut of best. Length tends to camouflage this

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Off topic a bit but rhinestones do catch the judges eye though more than a basic syllabus dress. Plus you dance better when you feel like you are dressed like a champion. In an age where most silver couples and above are wearing dresses at comps that allow them, it does not behove you to wear a basic syllabus outfit because it cannot compete with sparkles.

16. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Unless your dancing is so darn spectacular that it can.

nikkitta and Gorme like this.
  17. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Even then, I remember at a competition, hearing discussion in the audience over whether an un-costumed silver couple (who danced very well) should have been recalled to the final, on the grounds that no matter how well you dance, not wearing a costume in silver shows that you do not take the competition seriously enough.

18. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I sure hope the judges aren't thinking that way. I can see the argument as far as grooming. But the costume is about money, not effort. If you're in a financial position that you are in fact choosing between a $1000 dress and 10 or more lessons (or even a dress rental and two lessons), I think that spending the money on the lessons is a better demonstration of seriousness for a syllabus am-am dancer.

nikkitta and dlliba10 like this.
  19. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Fortunately, the audience is not the one that is judging.

dlliba10 likes this.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The couple should be judged on their dancing and their presentation. If a couple in plain (but still appropriately well-groomed) dancewear dances better than couples in full costumes, then they deserve to win.

ETA: Now, comparing two couples at an equivalent level of costuming (and dancing), the couple who is better-groomed should get the nod.