Slow rhythm, Foxtrot and SlowFox

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by eloimachado, Nov 27, 2006.

1. eloimachado

eloimachado New Member

Hello,

What is the differences between Slow rhythm, Foxtrot and SlowFox?

How can I distinguish the music? Which steps are allowed in each one of these dances?

Thank you.

2. Corne

Corne New Member

Slowfox = international version of foxtrot.
    Foxtrot = american version of foxtrot.

3. DeltaVim

DeltaVim New Member

Can be. American Foxtrot can also be called Slowfox, although I'm not sure if it's correct or common usage (see below). *shrug* International can also be called just Foxtrot.
    International Foxtrot has slower tempo. There's a discussion on this somewhere, or just check out the rulebooks of NDCA or USABDA.
    Check out the Wikipedia page on Foxtrot:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtrot_(dance)

Slow rhythm probably means either a dance with slow rhythm (waltz, rhumba) or a slow version of a song for practice.

It could also refer to the Rhythm style. Even a specific dance in Rhythm (such as Bolero) but it doesn't really make sense--I'd just use the name of the dance instead.

What was the context?

4. reb

reb Active Member

American Style Foxtrot has two distinct (NDCA) tempi
    Pro/Am is 32-34 measures per minute (MPM)
    Pro & Amateur 30 MPM
    (compared to international of 28- 30 MPM)

. . . unsure about the details of this statement . . . but in actual practice, I think that even though it says Pro/Am has the faster tempo, I have this feeling that the faster tempo is generally used for syllabus levels of pro/am (and maybe amateur).

American Foxtrot at the slowfox speed also at times includes music which has a jazzy, blues-y feel not typically heard in the international setting

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I think I've seen in a very old British technique book a dance called something like slow rhythm. IIRC, it was something like American foxtrot and seemed like it was designed for social dancing to music too fast for international foxtrot. I'll see if I can find the info again.

6. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Found it. The dance is called "Rhythm Dancing" and can be done either fast or slow. The basic step is just a walk, step-close for slow and step-step for fast. It's described as a social dance useful for dancing in crowded nightclubs and ballrooms.

7. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Slow Rhythm is what we know as bronze american foxtrot, though perhaps with slightly different figures. (Quick rhythm is the simplified quickstep version)

Also the tempo difference for american style is between bronze and everything else, not between pro am and the other divisions.

8. reb

reb Active Member

You are correct!

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

This probably belongs in the Random Thoughts thread, but whenever I see/hear the term "SlowFox", I envision a fox skulking around ready to pounce on its victim.

Perhaps I should write a haiku about it.

10. mummsie

mummsie Member

We usually do slow rhythm in a club situation or if we are amongst non dancers as we don't like pushing people off the floor if they are enjoying themselves or making people feel uncomfortable as we have found when we do proper foxtrot. Its basically an International quickstep done to foxtrot music. There are loads of steps you can do but basically its just a slow slow quick quick and you work your way around the floor. Its a great dance - we do it a long when we cruise. Mummsie :)

11. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

In its path around the floor, yes, but the rise and fall is different.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's more crush dancing than ballroom.

13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

joe

Funny you shouild say that-- thats we used to call it way back when ( and some in u.k. still do )

14. Angelbread

Angelbread New Member

Ok, I'm confused. As far as I know, there are two dances - rhythm foxtrot (in American style) and slow foxtrot (in international style or in both, not sure). Rhythm foxtrot is the easier zig-zag one, while the Slow foxtrot is the more complicated one with spin turns and all that. :)

15. Me

Me New Member

Slow fox, foxy slow
    skulky JUMP pouncy foxy
    ballroom is dead now.

*modest bow*

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

:applause:

yeah, I know more than a few people here who would like nothing better than to murder foxtrot....

17. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

That's as far as most people know--or dance. But there is a separate dance called rhythm "on the books" that is apparently used primarily for medal tests. From the little I know about it, it looks like bronze American foxtrot, only simpler. It's a British/international dance, so it's even less likely to be known in the US.

18. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

slow f/t

Had posted the answer on another thread-- Rhythm ( crush ) dancing was taught as a means to navigate with flow around the floor,essentially without stopping when we used to have very packed public dance halls during the last war ( everyone danced q/s ) . They devised a basic structure of quarter turns ( l.i.l. ) with a compact hold, and danced very rythmically, with the feet not necessarily closing on the side rotation . Usually asked on the dance part of prof. exams , ISTD, still asks, but some soc. do not .( p.s. when I put Silvers and Jenkins thru their assoc exams with Phyllis Haylor, had forgot to show them , so a quick 2 min drill was done and problem solved )

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Why? 'Tis my favorite dance!

20. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I've often seen it murdered, and I must have been a culprit myself in my early days!