slow salsa music good for teaching

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by joaoluissantos, Oct 7, 2003.

1. joaoluissantos

joaoluissantos New Member

Hi!

Can anyone advice me about slow salsa music good for teaching beginers? I have some but I would like to have more.

Thanks,

João

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Salsa Music Links

Good morning! :D

I found a few websites with salsa music listed by tempo, and a few other music-related websites for salsa. Hope this helps. :D

http://www.salsacaliente.com/Music.htm

(Must click the links to get to the tips and advice library -- under getting ready/practice music)
    http://www.gottadance.org/practice_music_recomms.shtml#Salsa

(This one is an interesting link explaining salsa music basics for newbies) http://danceconnectionchicago.com/newtoSalsa.asp?action=music
    I'll keep looking. :D

Jenn

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I also pulled down this commentary from thedancestore.freeservers.com/dances/salsa_music.htm -- couldn't get the direct link to work, though. :cry:

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I think 'Micaela' is way fast for most beginners.

5. Vin

Vin New Member

I have been listening to music by La India alot lately and for some reason I found the beat easier to find in her music than in alot of other salsa music. Since then I have noticed a marked improvement in being able to hear the beat.

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

If I recall correctly the Salsa Fresca CD has some good slower tempo stuff to get started with . . .

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Do you guys really think slow salsa songs are better/easier for teaching beginners :? ?

In my experience, the newbies who are still struggling to hear the right beat AND trying to learn the moves find slower songs (salsa romantica ie Eddie Santiago etc.) at the clubs challenging.

Wouldn't the moderate tempo classics (Llolaras by Oscar D'Leon, for example..?) be easier to teach beginners?

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Two different issues I think salsachinita . . . music for beginners to dance to vs. music for them to learn to.

If you're trying to get them to learn what to do then having a slower tempo provides enough time for them to actually complete the actions they are being instructed in, etc., and to actually have a chance to listen to the music whereas faster music piles too much up on beginners when they're trying to execute brand new skills – but is often easier for them to dance to since timing miscues and errors are then gone faster then they would be for slower music (keeping in mind that the most common problem beginners have tends to be rushing their counts).

9. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:idea: Good point :idea:

10. Sarah

Sarah New Member

The stuff I found easiest to dance to as a beginner was pop pseudo-salsa ala Ricky Martin et al. The more complicated percussion of the authentic stuff would really throw me, regardless of tempo.

Cheers
    Sarah

11. Vin

Vin New Member

The issue for me isn't the pace, it is more the accent on the beat. With alot of salsa I pretty much have to listen for the 2 and the 5 and that's all I hear, until lately. For some reason in music by la India I heard the 1,2,3 5,6,7 in a much stronger way and now I hear it in other salsa music.

12. vey

vey New Member

I agree, I found "Salsa Fresca! Dance Hits of the '90s" convenient to use for practice in the beginning, the beat is clear without artsy irregularities, the tempo is moderate and I genuinely like a couple of songs there (Idilio / Willie Colón and Esos Tus Ojos Negros / Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez)

13. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Try the new CD by Son de Cali: Estilo Propio (2002 release)

I just purchased it. (took me a while) :) Mid tempo salsa, great for beginners and advance especially if you don't particularly like turbo salsa. :lol: The two members of this group (Willy Garcia and Javier Vasquez) are from Grupo Niche. If like their music, you'll like this CD. There is a slight difference in style but a good CD.