Slow Waltz Song Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by vcolfari, Sep 13, 2007.

1. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Can anyone recommend a somewhat current slow waltz song that was recorded in the 90s or later? I'm trying to get the local university to play something other than midtempo 3/4 songs like Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway or that horrible Lifehouse song, You and Me. For some reason, my Empress Orchestra CDs aren't thrilling anyone except me. :(

2. swan

swan Member

Eros Ramazzotti's "I Belong to You" Duet is good - quite contemporary& has an Italian flare to it.

Tony Evans & Orchestra has a version of "Closest Thing to Crazy" in Dancebeat Vol 11 that is straight waltz tempo (original is not).

Lionel Ritchie & Russell Watson's "Magic of Love" is also good.

Russell Watson also has "Amore Musica" - original tempo is too fast, but you can slow it down (instead of buying the ballroom CD version), as you can buy it as single on any online music stores.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Dark Waltz
    Lies

4. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Find a ballroom waltz CD that features songs with 28 bpm. That's legally the slowest.

5. swan

swan Member

I think he's asking for more 'trendy' waltz music to entice local university people to dance :) Not necessarily the "slow" waltz...

I'm sure 29 is just fine or even 30. But he needs something that these younger crowd can identify with instead of Empress Orchestra's blackpool traditional music. BTW - I LOVE Blackpool music :) But that's because we are already hooked in ballroom dancing.

6. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Pop(ish) waltzes:

Lucky - Bif Naked (faster)
    Open Arms - Journey
    Take it to the Limit - The Eagles
    Rainbow Connection - Many covers but Sarah McLachlan is my favorite for dancing
    Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
    Everybody Has a Dream - Billy Joel
    Eclipse - Pink Floyd
    It is You (I Have Loved) - Dana Glover
    Misery - Pink
    Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

7. swan

swan Member

Actually a lot of Secret Garden songs will fit into after 90's. The more recent hit being Sleepsong. Can't imagine anyone disliking that song :) But we do get kind of bored hearing it so often at the comps.

Gladiator is also a great waltz.

Some of Enya's are good waltzes as well: A Moment Lost (speed up a bit), Wild Child, Watermark (speed up)
    Kenny Roger's - If I were a painting (again needs to speed up this original).
    First Day of My Life (got a few versions in iTunes: Melanie C, The Lollies)

I'm suggesting the above so that you can buy singles in iTunes or other on-line music stores. All of them have ballroom tempo version but then you have to buy the expensive CDs :)

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think the OP is really looking for post-1990 pop waltzes to raise the interest level of some students. Most of this stuff we know about because we dance to it, but it's a bit obscure to the general public.

I actually prefer A Moment Lost at original speed.

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the theme from the patriot and from cider house rules are waltzes...also a song from pearl harbor called brothers...

10. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Yes, exactly. The university crowd will groan and roll their eyes at this great music. Something trendy is just what I need! :p

11. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

This is great! Thanks so much. I think that some of these are too fast, but still very helpful.

12. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

It's hard to resist Sleepsong - it's one of the most gorgeous songs I've heard in a bit. While we're on Secret Garden, how about Lotus? A bit "unique" but new agey in the Secret Garden way.

There's a better/strict tempo version of Watermark on Prandi's All Stars Ballroom Vol 3.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Harry potter theme is Viennese, but could slow it down. :)

14. White Chacha

Is there a particular version? The one I found on iTunes sure sounds like it's in 4, not 3.

15. White Chacha

1. That'd be a lot of slowing down and 2. you need to use the made for ballroom version (Casa Musica "Ballroom Classics 5"). The original switches to a non-waltz time signature in the second theme.

16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ah, never listen to thing whole way through on movie. Just know that VW version is on every time I'm over at friend's studio. It annoys me, can't dance to it. Well, besides fact I can't dance VW, can't dance to that song. Just seems wrong. :)

17. swan

swan Member

Ah, I got a version that's in waltz tempo - in fact, that's the first version I heard (but it's a ballroom CD which has no label, from abroad). I didn't check iTunes carefully. But you're right, I guess the original version is in 4! I'll have to dig around to see if I can find this in 3 on the web. You got me curious now :) The version I have, I swear the voice sounded so much like Ramazzotti himself!

18. kayak

kayak Active Member

I'll second Hayley Westenra's Dark Waltz. Very contemporary. She is younger than most of the songs listed :)

19. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I especially love the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" soundtrack by Patrick Doyle with "Potter Waltz" (VW) and the gorgeous "Neville's Waltz" (slow). When I first got that 2 minute track, I would put it on repeat and listen to it 10-15 times in a row.

I also like "The Ludlows" from the "Legends of the Fall" soundtrack, though the original tempo is a little fast.

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

love dancing to this one.