Smooth suit tailor in the NYC/Boston area

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by apeacock, Apr 4, 2011.

1. apeacock

apeacock Member

I'm going to be dancing open smooth soon (with soon being competing in like 6 months) and am starting my search for a smooth suit. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a smooth suit tailor in in Boston or NYC area. I'm in Connecticut, so either option is fine - I would prefer to be able to get a personal fitting, which makes the tailors on the west cost a bit difficult.

~Adam

2. tunape

tunape New Member

there are tail suit makers, and there are TAIL suit makers. when quality matters, you can't go wrong with alex sinitsa in LA.

3. apeacock

apeacock Member

I've seen other recommendations for Alex - how often does he come around to the east coast for fittings? I can't quite afford to fly to LA for a suit measurement.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Usually he makes it to Boston in the spring and NY in the summer.

5. SQ_F05

SQ_F05 New Member

Smooth Suit Tailor

Dore Designs has a boutique in the Basic Ballroom Dance Studio in Manhattan and the A&D Couture shop is in Brooklyn.

6. Akita

Akita Active Member

Ron Gunn was just in NYC. He comes to the U.S. a few weeks each year from London. You can call his shop in London and get his schedule. He was also at the Heritage Classic where he measured me for a tailsuit and smooth suit.

7. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

I second the previous thoughts on Alex. I was able to get my initial measurements taken here in Boston and then went to Manhattan Dancesport for a final fitting before having the suit shipped to me. Amazing work.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Sinitsa also usually goes to the Ohio Star Ball.

9. Larinda McRaven

not very "east" though... :rolleyes:

10. aw

aw New Member

Are any specific dates known yet for this year for the northeast?

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF aw!

12. aw

aw New Member

Thanks. I usually just lurked and never posted :)

13. Larinda McRaven

I will call him and ask about scheduling.... and let you know.

14. Larinda McRaven

He will definitely be in Manhattan at the Manhattan Dancesport. He may or may not be in Boston around the Yankee Classic time. He will decide on Boston in a few weeks... when he gets done with Emerald.

If you really want him to come to Boston... call me and let me start making a list for him. The bigger the list the bigger chance that he will decide to come! Or you can call him yourself, but last time I made a list and scheduled about 13 appointments for him it was an easy decision for him to come out...

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yes, but "east" enough that it's very easy to get on a plane and go, especially if you're planning on going to the comp anyway. At least it's not like flying from Boston to Las Vegas.

16. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

Except often flights to Ohio are actually more expensive than flights to Vegas. At least from Boston..

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Maybe you oughtta give Southwest a chance...

18. Larinda McRaven

no... southwest is horribly expensive lately.

19. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

Southwest doesn't have its late November dates available to book yet, and no, they have not been consistently cheaper than other airlines for flights to Ohio, at least when I have booked for past competitions.

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't give a ---- if they're cheaper than other airlines for Ohio. My point (which you seem to disagree with) was that flights there are cheaper than they are to Vegas.