Snotty Subculture

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That was hilarious! One question: What exactly IS a tango alpha male?
  2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, some people find it desirable to maintain the connection with what is to most all of us a foreign culture. The AT crowd is way more cosmopolitan than the country crowd. The foreignness, or, I might even use the word "exoctic," adds to the appeal.
    (I am surprised, but in a good way, when I become aware of CW people who become invested in AT. Even Alex Krebs at one point ran an ad on one of the CW stations here for his Tango Beretin. THAT really surprised me. But then the CW crowd where I dance is a very mixed crowd.)

Some people only want to do the dance, and pick and chose which customs, and even music they will accept.

The term "Argentine Tango" has been used repeatedly in dance books thoughout the last century. In its current usage it applies more specifically to "recent" styles that came from Argentina rather than American or International Tango.

Also got out my dictionary again.

Snob
    1: One who is convinced of and fluants one's social superiority.
    2: One who despises one's inferiors and whose condescension arises from soical or intellectual pretention.

Pretentious:
    1 Demanding or claiming a poisition of distinction or merit, esp. when unjustified.
    2 Making an extravegent outward show.

I'll add that snobbishness is in the eye of the beholder.
  3. pygmalion

One of my points exactly.
  4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

When talking about whether a tango community is welcoming or snotty, I think we need to keep in mind that the reaction to new beginners joining the community may be different from the reaction to visitors of various skill levels who are, and will remain, strangers.
  5. pygmalion

Hmm. Interesting. Must ponder that. :cool:
  6. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

I can see that - i didnt come across that way to me, but then i had taken classes before, and knew somewhat what to expect. And I tend to be a bit more on the analytical side in general, so my idea of the first milongas was more "I will watch and figure out how the whole things works in practice before i step into the ring myself". But it is a good question - if stepping into a milonga was your first step to getting into the dance i can see how it would look different. Even the spre-milonga classes are usually not really beginner classes, and the people at the pre-milonga class usually all know each other already. I know people who picked up salsa mostly from classes before dances, and my personal experience was that the pre-dance classes attract many more pure beginners, and that they are usually structured to give you enough to have at least a chance of having fun on the dancefloor. There is very little in tango that could work that way - there is a "survival on the dancefloor" vocabulary that could be taught in an hour (walk, rockstep), but it does not approach the feeling of "whee, i am really dancing" you get from basic+1 figure in a salsa class. The organization of the dancefloor is also not that immediately accessible now that i think about it: the walking lanes move mercilessly. Salsa dancefloors tend to have a clear skill- geography, and whoever is close to the beginner corner/side is either a beginner, or willing to dance with one. Tango does not provide this.
    Of course, claiming that the tango community is friendly as long as you already know how to dance tango is not much of a achievement - every group is nice to people on the inside.

Gssh
    pygmalion likes this.
  7. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

here y'all are

Attached Files:

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Right back atcha, P. :)
    pygmalion likes this.
  9. jantango

jantango Active Member

I remember going to milongas in BsAs years ago when I wasn't invited to dance because people didn't know me. That's the way it used to be here. You had to prove yourself as a dancer and then wait for opportunities. Things have changed.

The table next to mine at Lo de Celia is usually occupied by foreign women because it is in the second row. If they are presentable and handle themselves appropriately, they will be invited to dance. Men have gotten used to the idea of giving foreigners a good milonga experience, whether they know how to dance or not. The women may not get to dance with the best dancers, but they get to dance. It's a matter of attitude. I wrote about this topic a few months ago when two women from Lithuania danced constantly for hours with good dancers. They knew how to handle themselves and were prepared to dance. Speaking the language certainly helped.

It sounds as though dancers in Buenos Aires are more welcoming to new faces in the milongas than those in other tango communities.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hope so the nations economy depends on it!!!
    pygmalion likes this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

hmmm a little wcs um e rr three............
  12. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

He stands on top of the pecking order. The male pecking order is defined among men only (not by the popularity of certain dancers among women). The alpha male does not or rarely dances, while lower ranks have to show up on the dance floor regularly to assert their position. The alpha male does not live on tango, he taught classes for a short time, did dj-ing, and organized some encuentros or a festival just to demonstrate his abilty.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  13. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

In our town, he also serves to let it be known how we're all doing it wrong. The level of disapproval in the room when he's at any tango function is palpable.
    bordertangoman and pygmalion like this.
  14. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

You must be mistaken. He is resident in my home city!
  15. Mr 4 styles

you are both wrong.. im right HERE!!!!!!:eek::cool::D
  16. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

It's a guy for whom all tangueras crave for.
    Whose dancing is not only a dancing but THE EXPERIENCE.
    The partner that you don't won't let go from your embrace after finishing tanda.
    Ocassionally you don't feel your legs and your body tend to shiver in his embrace.
    Since you learnt his embrace by heart you don't need to adjust, you just plug in.
    Spontaneous murmuring and playing with fingers is more a norm than a coincidence.
    You ask him for asking you for the dance which is not obviously a dance anymore for you.
    After dancing you sit on a chair to catch a breath and calm down.
  17. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Does anybody have tango pyramid ?
    I saw it long time ago.

I might have it on my broken laptop. :oops:
  18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

pyramid or paranoid?
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. pygmalion

20. tangobro