Snotty Subculture

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The true alpha male does not have to make any such display.
    I'd call him a faux alpha male, if he's one at all.
    Oh, maybe I'm confusing someone of character with alpha male?

2. sixela

sixela Active Member

Your usage is consistent with the definition:

Someone saying that the alpha male isn't the one who gets the most dances (with the females for which the males compete) is using it ironically.

3. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

To go all pack-psychology: This is not an alpha male - this is one of the set of lower ranked males who is trying to better his position. In general the alpha male does not compete - he is undisputed, and any challenge to him is a _big_ deal, it doesn't happen casually or frequently. In tango terms the alpah male would not be the one who gets the "most" dances (this is competetive/status reinforcing behaiour), it would be somebody who gets the dances he wants, and just organically there is nobody is in his way.

Of course i am not sure if we want to analyze tango as a hierarchical system - especially not one where the measure of status is "dances" - there are too many different status constructs and status markers are at work at the same time, and from an anthropological perspective i would suggest that the dancing skill hierarchy might be one of the less important ones. Teaching, dj-ing,milonga hosting, BA travel, festival travel, and so on might be more relevant markers and status generating/reinforcing behaviors.

Gssh

bordertangoman likes this.
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

is the top of the pyramid equivalent to 'gone fishing'? ;)

5. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

? me?
    "Food and other desirable" can´t be identified with dancing. The gain is something different.

6. sixela

sixela Active Member

In pack psychology, it's "resources" (and in this case, 'resources' are 'females' or in a less sexist way, dances to the orchestra of your choice with the partner of your choice).

[Gssh is right, though, the alpha males doesn't necessarily get the most dances, he gets all the dances he wants, and my post lacked clarity°. Although an alpha male who wants to dance a lot _will_ have a lot of dances, of course.]

I'm married to an experimental psychologist (and one who observed the tango scene for quite a while and couldn't be bothered to play the social games after some time), so you'll have a hard time convincing me to change my usage.

--
    °I'm getting my head served to me a lot lately when I write sloppy thing, which is good. Shame about the small time window that allows post editing...

danceronice and bordertangoman like this.
  7. bordertangoman

That should be 'sloppily' or 'something sloppy' ;)

agreed about the very short time limit - which sometimes has gone by by the time it's posted due to the slow connection

pygmalion likes this.
  8. sixela

sixela Active Member

things. But again, I prove my own point (sigh).

Gssh likes this.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The posting limit makes it impossible for me to proofread and correct my posts completely/accurately, especially my longer posts. I've decided to do my best then not to worry about it. *shrug* I hope that y'all will give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm well-meaning, relatively well educated, and that I can spell and punctuate. My posts give no evidence of such. lol.

Gssh likes this.
  10. Steve Pastor

Or, do like I do with Facebook (press enter and it's posted!) and write on your word processor then paste. I look at some of my goofy mistakes and shake my head sometimes.

Gssh and pygmalion like this.
  11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Either I'm oblivious to this, or it doesn't exist at the milongas I frequent.Now there clearly are some guys who women certainly prefer to dance with, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are talking about. Now there clearly are some guys who women certainly prefer to dance with, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are talking about.

I will add that if some peanut gallery proclaimed alpha decided to tell me what I'm doing wrong, he better do it very politely.

bordertangoman likes this.
  12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Words and phrases often get new/additional meanings as language evolves, as this phrase did (probably 30 years ago). It is commonly used these days to indicate "there is a lot to learn".

13. jantango

jantango Active Member

Hardly. If Argentina's economy depended on tango to keep it afloat, the country would have sunk long ago. Tango is business in the capital federal, but nowhere else in the country. Tango tourists are a tiny percentage of the annual tourism to the country.

14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

it has... were you there when the currrency was devalued about 75% overnite!!

peopel lost fortunes on paper

on the upside tourism got chhhheeeappppp

that sais i love the country and the people love spain too, brazil and portugal notsomuch

15. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

I give everybody the benefit of the doubt - i read/write to this board in breaks, and often when i re-read some of my posts a few hours later (after the editing time is over, of course) i just want to sink into the ground - atrocious spelling and grammar, whole words left out, and sentence fragments floating around unmoored by and semblance of meaning.

Glasshouse, stones, and all that :)

Gssh

pygmalion likes this.
  16. pygmalion

Oh! Amen. :)

17. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

My problem isn't the spelling and grammar, it's thinking everyone else knows what's in my head so I don't get my thoughts out clearly. You'd think as a writer I would be a better communicator.

18. pygmalion

Who can write anything cogent in fifteen minutes? Not me.:D

19. Steve Pastor

It's good practice, though, for me, since I let my skills get rusty for years and years.

20. bordertangoman

It's rare to catch you out :)