Snotty Subculture

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, at some places I have to sit away from my wife, otherwise people won't ask her to dance.
  2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

they are scared of you ;)
  3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

My husband and I are no longer together, but when we were, we would have to split up at the dance so people would ask me.
  4. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Especially when they are assessing themselves. ;)

People also often have very different opinions on whether they are "experienced" or "the better dancers"

(this is not aimed at you DC)
    jfm likes this.
  5. sixela

sixela Active Member

I stopped having an opinion about that, since such opinions are usually wrong.
    bordertangoman and twnkltoz like this.
  6. dchester

Just because I'm a 275 pound black guy who mostly snarls at people?

[​IMG]
    bordertangoman, sixela and twnkltoz like this.
  7. jantango

jantango Active Member

Drat those unwritten rules of respect in social situations. People seem to follow them even when they aren't in Buenos Aires.
  8. sixela

sixela Active Member

In my case it had nothing to do with respect. My wife could not get any dances even if we sat separately and no one ever asked me permission to dance with her either (either verbally or by cabeceo-ing me). If my wife felt it had been due to respect, I doubt she would've quit in disgust°.

--
    °No, it's not an invitation to subtly imply anything bad about my wife in a subsequent post, jan.
    bordertangoman likes this.
  9. Zoopsia59

With a beard...

And a hat...

yeah... you're a scary dude
    bordertangoman and dchester like this.
  10. NZ_Guy

NZ_Guy Member

Couldn't say if it applies to your case, but I for one am unlikely to dance with someone who appears to have a preferred dance partner. So if for example a husband and wife dance a lot (relatively) of dances together, I'll leave them to it, regardless of where they're sitting. It could just be me that does this.
  11. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I would say that a couple sitting apart from each other is an invitation, especially for the woman.
  12. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

It's also possible that the reason a person isn't asked to dance is because they can't do it well enough, though I'm not saying that this is the case here.
  13. jantango

jantango Active Member

This reminds me of an American woman who has lived in Buenos Aires for the last two years with an Argentine. They arrive at the milongas together, but sit separately. It's no secret they are "together." They dance enough tandas to make it obvious. She hardly dances, but then she's not looking around for invitations. He is lining up the next tanda while dancing with her by flirting with women on the floor. He dances constantly. If they were following tradition of most couples, they would sit together at the milongas and dance only with each other. She says she doesn't mind seeing him dancing with other women while she sits. He asks other men to dance with her.
  14. Zoopsia59

Without knowing what the music for the next tanda will be?
    newbie and sixela like this.
  15. jfm

jfm Active Member

Shut it Zoops. Until you've tried one of my template mats you have no right to express such sentiments.
    sixela likes this.
  16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I heard DChester's tango nickname is El Excavadora ;)
  17. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

To get asked I have to sit away from my girlfriend, too. :cool:
    dchester likes this.
  18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

What´s the difference between El Excavadora and El Excavator?
  19. jantango

jantango Active Member

Yes. He doesn't care. He has danced tango for only a few years. I thought he was her hired taxi dancer for a long time.

To get asked? Don't you do some of the inviting?
  20. dchester

If it helps, I only wear a hat at theme milongas.

;)