Snotty Subculture

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Since I don't do AT I can't speak for the situation and atmosphere at the milognas though I've heard this same thing from local dancers. I do see this to an extent with WCS. But with these I don't think they are trying to exclude others; rather I believe people tend to dance with and socialize with those they are most acquainted with and thus giving this impression, but they are friendly and open to dancing with others not a part of the social group; my experience anyhow.

twnkltoz likes this.
  2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Er... what?

3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a reference to the foot prints mat in a video that was posted???

4. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

That's what salsa people say, the ones who seem to be in a clique to outsiders. They tend to enjoy dancing with those they know because they know what to expect and can do. But in salsa, there is a large margin for error because it's not a full contact dance while tango is. That small margin of error makes people even more cautious with whom they dance with. This may be why some people are a lot more conservative with whom they choose to dance and may make it seem that others are unwelcome.

sixela likes this.
  5. sixela

sixela Active Member

Not only that: you're also 'stuck' with a partner for 12-15 minutes.

6. carol frayne

carol frayne New Member

On no! That's a shame - take her back without the sign! She was probably too good of a dancer and hence the men didn't ask her OR and this is a very big OR they were looking for more than she is able to give which is a shame ....the probably missed out on some great dancing.

7. newbie

newbie Active Member

In those places they only play the so-called Golden Age.
    As for couples, my policy is to wait for the moments when the husband is dancing with another woman.

8. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

And that's all the same? :confused:

sixela likes this.
  9. sixela

sixela Active Member

Of course. Or are you going to tell me you can tell a Laurenz from a Donato?

dchester likes this.
  10. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

probably not, but you never know...

11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That statement wasn´t that unreasonable. Where I live a lot of dancers understand by golden-age rather that rhythmic variant, called club style. Perhaps they are not able to dance properly to the slow melodic and salon-ish music also from that period.

12. sixela

sixela Active Member

A lot of dancers understand sum ting wong, then. There has _never_ been one single style of music that dominated the stages at any one time (gosh, even on the 'rhythmical' side, Donato isn't d'Arienzo isn't Rodriguez isn't Tanturi).

bordertangoman likes this.
  13. sixela

sixela Active Member

Oh, if I put aside the sarcasm tags for a minute, I think UKDancer _can_ tell most orchestras from the others.

bordertangoman likes this.
  14. UKDancer

They were orchestras? ;)

bordertangoman and sixela like this.
  15. bordertangoman

It is interesting to listen to the same pieces by different orchestras.

I know El Huracan by Donato, and I also have five other versions, by a narrow margin I prefer Los Reyes del Tango.

maybe we need a new thread..on same songs by different orquestas

16. UKDancer

Start one, then!

17. newbie

newbie Active Member

Yes. There may be nuances, but it's the same.
    Last Friday I was the barman at our practica and an older gentleman (but new to our place) came to me after two tandas (one alternative, then the current tanda, a Gotan one) and he asked if it would come back to normal. I answered that from his point of view, things would only go worse. We start the practice with standard Golden Age and as time goes by we switch to less standard pieces and we finish with just anything, pop music, movie soundtracks. He hurried to try dancing on Gotan before it becomes even worse, and it was funny to watch.
    So yes, if the milonga plays only Golden Age, you can queue your next followers while dancing, it's safe.

18. UKDancer

I think I'll let that one go .... ;)

dchester likes this.
  19. sixela

sixela Active Member

Someone alien could say that about all the Chordates, I guess. A sea squirt, you, what's the difference, right?

Great. That means that from now on I'm on Biagi terms with absolutely anyone ;-). Not to mention on Pugliese terms with also absolutely anyone. Whoohoo!

One question, though: should I dance the same on Pugliese/Chanel and on d'Arienzo? Because it's all the same with only a few nuances...

dchester likes this.
  20. bordertangoman

perhaps you can dance in a Biagi style.putting accents and pauses wherever you feel like..;)

sixela likes this.