Snotty Subculture

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Gssh, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Nice to read that.
    That video is from the guy with the experience. Yours may or may not be like his. ;)

Later you may encounter with the hounting cougars. You never know what to expect from tango scene. :cool:

2. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

I can always hope. Thanks,:)
    Stanley~

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a great night, Stan. Those lulls are called "cortinas". :)

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hey, Stan. Nice.

5. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

Thank you, Stanley~

6. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

It was, Thanks. Stanley~

7. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

It seems you have met great people, I am sure nights like these will facilitate your learning process. It is definitely hard to break through the initial stages of this dance, but those who insist, are likely to become good dancers. It certainly helps when there are people who don't stick to their own little elite of friends but invite random people for a dance. Unfortunately some people forget that this is a social dance and thus ultimately about everyone having a great time. I know many women (good dancers) who went to unknown places and were not invited at all.

8. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

It's a bit hard to specify ''transamerican ideas'' but I do recognize such an influence in various songs of Maderna. You'd only have to think of ''Lluvia de estrellas'' to be convinced of that. However, you'll see that there are also other influences in his music and original ideas, so that is why I find it often a bit difficult to define tango gangs. Of course, you may say there is this De Caro/D'Arienzo divide, but there are many orchestras that simply reject belonging to any clear category. I see a lot of continuation between De Caro - Miguel Calò - Osmar Maderna/Francini-Pontier/Domingo Federico. You might want to call that a tango gang, but apart from De Caro all these people played together and influenced each other. There are still a lot of orchestras that do not really belong to a category, and pioneers who were alone in their innovations and were able to indirectly influence a bigger crowd of musicians. I often compare various songs from more or less the same year to try and discover general trends.

I was under the impression that Canaro is a tango chamaleon, if you look at the constant change in how he played his music from what was probably a commercial instinct. Could you give me a few specific examples to illustrate your theory of Troilo picking up temporary trends? In general, I see two movements: first you have a rather up-beat style that slowly changes into a more lyrical one, and much later you get this transition into a very complex, barely danceable style. I invite you to use titles of songs to help me understand your point about Troilo.

9. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

Thank you, Yogur griego, for your reply. I believe that I am one that will "insist" as my dancing skills improve... I will not be chased away. I will be looking for those "many women" (good dancers) you speak of. Stanley~

10. jfm

jfm Active Member

I hope you don't mean 'insist' in the context of invitations?
    Don't insist, if you have to insist it means she doesn't want to dance with you.
    I will never understand why people like dancing with someone who is clearly not enjoying it at all.

11. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

I was the one who was using the word ''insist'' and I was referring to ''not giving up'' regarding the often difficult first part of the learning process. I am sure Stan was talking about the same thing.

12. jfm

jfm Active Member

then I think you actually wanted the word 'persist'? Insist means pressing a point on somebody forcefully or demanding something. Persist means sticking around or 'keeping at it'.
    If Stanley is a manc as in mancunian he knows the difference.

13. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

"I was the one who was using the word ''insist'' and I was referring to ''not giving up'' regarding the often difficult first part of the learning process. I am sure Stan was talking about the same thing." Thank you Yogur griego. Stanley~

jfm:

I would never "pressing a point on somebody forcefully or demanding something." I was simply responding to what I believed was Yogur griego's intent as he has explained in his reply to you. But, thank you, for what I assume were good intentions on your part to a newcomer to AT. Oh!, "manc as in mancunian," I am not. I am stantheman with a "c" which is the first letter of my last name.

14. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Now that the question of semantics has been thoroughly debated, perhaps we could move on.

15. stanthemanc

stanthemanc New Member

OK by me.

16. jfm

jfm Active Member

Twnkltoz
    there are a lot of circular stupid arguments and misunderstandings that go on and on and on on this board not because of 'semantics' but because people are using ENTIRELY the wrong words. I have been lurking and then posting here for 8 years and I see the same old rubbish over and over again because people don't check what they are writing and get defensive when other people 'misinterpret' (in reality understand the word to mean what everybody else in the world knows it means) what they are saying leading to the crazy crazy arguments that have driven away many posters.

Everybody is at cross purposes because people are using words that DO NOT mean what they think they mean.
    This is not about semantics it's about people using the wrong word that represents a TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONCEPT.

You may think it is petty, but INSIST does NOT mean that. This is not 'lean' versus 'weight sharing' (semantics) this is two very different concepts that rightly have two entirely different words to represent them.
    If we are going to have sensible discussions people have to use language properly otherwise what is the point?

I might as well just type words at random.

17. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

Why are you getting so upset? According to a few online dictionaries it's completely OK to use the verb ''insist'' in the same way as you would use ''persist'' because the meaning you refer to, is only one out of various meanings. I deliberately did not choose the word ''persist'' because to me it sounds somewhat less positive than ''insist''. You are free to disagree but I really don't see why you'd have to use CAPS LOCK so dramatically over a supposed small difference in meaning.

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

PM you, not to be too much off topic..

19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread, either.

20. Tango Student

Tango Student New Member

One of the differences I've noticed between the local AT and salsa scenes is that in tango the teachers rarely (if ever) seem to dance with their beginner students when they're out social dancing, where it's expected that the salsa teachers will at least occasionally dance with their beginner students. Is this common?