So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Part two. Have fun posting here, kids. :D

From the original thread:

1 person likes this.
  2. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Nope, I actually escaped to the wilds of upstate NY for some much needed R&R!! Just got back about an hour ago.

3. Laura

Laura New Member

I actually don't dance on the weekends, unless I'm at a competition! Weekends are for hanging out with my non-dancing hubby, and getting caught up on housework. :)

4. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

That's the first time I've ever heard Laura mention a husband, LOL.

5. pygmalion

Oh. That's surprising. The girl's head-over-heels, from what I can tell, a bunch of years later, too. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. :cool:

Did you make it back to the studio with the hostile lady, PD? Did anything interesting happen?

6. Laura

Laura New Member

10+ years of non-dancing marital happiness! I used to wish he'd learn to dance, but after seeing so many people fight (and knowing a few who have gotten divorced) over dancing, I'm fine with things the way they are.

This coming weekend I will be with my mom, on a cruise ship bound for Bermuda (it's Mother's Day after all). I might do some social dancing, but that's pretty doubtful. The level of social dancing on cruise ships is depresingly low, and besides everyone seems to travel in couples so there aren't random guys around to dance with except for the "Dance Hosts," who are nice men but are geared toward shuffling ladies who are 20-30 years older than me around the room and not actually dancing. And besides, the floors are so small that one natural spin turn would take out a whole wall.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

Here's a picture of us, being very geeky:

[​IMG]

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh! Where? I live in CNY so you must ahve been pretty close.

9. pygmalion

Geeky and romantic. :)

10. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Gilboa NY, about 60 miles SW of Albany. The nearest actual town is Middleburg, about 15 miles from where I was staying.

11. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I want to try bellydancing.

I've seen it everywhere, I have the books, and I think that it would help me tone muscles essential for ballroom/latin dancing, and help me with the isolation and tone necessary for "the dreaded Cuban motion".

That, and how kick knat is a belt made totally of jingly coins? And the skirts... the flowy, colorful skirts....

12. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I just realized that it sounded very presumptive and arrogant with the "I saw it and have books"... that does not mean "I think I can do it without any help"... that just means "From what I've seen/read makes me think that I'd really enjoy it and benefit from it".

13. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Go for it. Every one I know that did improved in their dancing. I been wanting to do it also.

14. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

You wouldn't think I still had the "but I'm fat" hangup, and I didn't, until tonight. Single Ballroom Guy made the comment "I would say they joined it to lose weight, but I don't think it helped any of 'em..." he weighs 360, and he's 5'5. He's also the resident, token "I'm just here to meet women". All night long, he was sniffing around after my best friend and leaving comments like "Well, if I could find a good lookin' single woman to dance with... " I even said "But you don't need a girlfriend if you just want to dance, do you?"... he didn't get the hint. OH, welll... another one not worth the breath it takes to tell them to fckoff.

15. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I was having a really bad night once. Went with my clique to a studio other than our regular one. This one guy really pissed me off. He asked every girl in my group to dance at least twice, except me. I even made a point to be friendly at the snack table, just in case I was coming off as a stuck-up b**** for some reason. Still didn't ask me. Which just totally crushed my already fragile ego from other events of the week. I know I'm not cute or skinny like all my friends, but I can't even get ugly clumsy bad dancer guy to ask me to dance? Which sent me into a whole, "What's so wrong with me that HE thinks he's too good to dance with me?"
    Did I have a point? Oh yes. Anyway, I got over it. Don't fall into my trap of letting some idiot hurt your ego. Definitely not worth it.
    You are beautiful and sexy and any idiot that doesn't realize that is not worth your time. (Now if I can just remember to tell myself that!!)

16. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Lol- I'll buy that! You're right- the night's too short to piss it away hating some dummy. He doesn't know or care, and what good does it do, when ignoring him and dancing with others is much easier?

We need to write these down and keep it in our pockets, LOL.

17. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Great dance weekend. We had the annual spring party yesterday. Lot's of great dancing!

The only bad thing is that people leave so early. We started dancing at nine thirty, and the music stopped around three, when there was only around ten of us left. I could've gone on for a long time still, and there was still people there I hadn't danced with.

What do you guys think, do you agree with me that three AM is too early to go home?

18. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Did something a little different last night, namely went to the Atlanta Open for the final session, GOOD LAWD!! Loved the Latin comps especially! 'Twasa fun evening of watching how the pros do it. My favorite couples were:

Jeremy Norris and Shannon Maiolo

Chris Thomas and Tiffany Korte

Oscar Garcia and Erika Lynn

19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

No dancing. Carpet cleaning though. I got a rug doctor machine and it got out a look of gook, but now was just told that a dyson machine is better. Unfortunately its too expensive for me as I intend to rip up carpets over teh next couple years and put laminate/wood down. I wonder if anyone has better suggestions for getting out pet odors etc....hmmm..

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if there is pet odor in the foam under the carpet..you are ahem...screwled....but if you aren't willing to tear the carpet up now...I recommend, as before...that you buy your own shampooer...mine is a bissell from like Walmart or Target(70 bucks?)...and they have special pet deodarizer shampooer which DOES help...