So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Only dancing I was able to do was to dance around my living room while watching Mamma Mia again.

2. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Very good social dancing yesterday. Great use of the large floor, serious progression.

3. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

2 hour social dancing in near by studio on Friday! Great Time

4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Awesome!

Solo practice Friday night, with a nearly empty floor (yay, room to really work), then went to pick up my new standard practice skirt.

Saturday, got up crazy early for a weekend and road-tripped with a few others it to cheer on friends and studio mates at Dansesport Montreal. Watched for hours, and the dancing was crazy good. Like, didn't know who to watch on the floor good. I am beyond impressed at the quality. Spent a lot of time talking costumes - tried on my first dress, looked at many others. Then saw Riccardo and Yulia perform as the evening show (so amazing!), then more amazing dancing. Fianally, Pj party with overtired dancers/spectators at the hotel.

Today, big breakfast and studio gossip, then road trip back home (complete with a stop for ice-cream).

I don't think we're topping this dance weekend for awhile. The only things that could have made it better would have been more sleep, and maybe competing myself - though that likely would have meant less fun and way more stress.

5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Thanks to TC having linked to a post in this thread, I'm reviving it...

Spent the week in Phoenix on a business trip. As I usually do when traveling on business, I hunted up a place to dance. I found a WCS lesson and party on Thursday night at Fatcat's Ballroom. Pretty nice place! It's an odd-shaped five-sided room (corner suite in a strip mall). Good floor, a bit slower than I'm used to. Side area with tables for consuming refreshments, separated from the dance floor by rails. Nice lighting and kind of funky decor, fun place. And it was a good crowd. Only slight downer was that a lot of people were coupled up and not dancing with anyone else, but there were still enough available ladies that I didn't lack for dances. Wish I could have stayed longer, but I had to get up at 4 AM to catch a plane. I'll definitely go back when I have a chance.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Fatcats is a blast

friday at paragon is awesome too

7. cornutt

I'll have to check Paragon out sometime. Unfortunately I rarely get to stay over Fridays on these business trips.

8. Mr 4 styles

too bad.... Devorah is a great teacher and runs the party its a blast

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    After two workshops with Laura there was a break to chill and have food before the tea dance (tango)
    Laura put on some Piazzolla, then we switched to my laptop and I played her something from Vespers by the New Tango Orchestra. We started dancing. Opposite the village hall is a church and I could see two women were walking amongst the graves; a daughter and her elderly mother; it was very poignant..there are four movements which last about 9 minutes.....

the dancing had so much feeling in it..when we finished everyone in the room had stopped and was watching....

i don't think it was spectacular and there were fumbles in it, but it felt amazing.....

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  10. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

After placing in all of our previous comps, we had our first comp where we didn't even make finals for any dance in Standard. Then Latin partner's foot was injured so had to scratch all of Latin. Definitely a let down. Oh well, we'll get them next time!

11. Sania

Sania Active Member

So sorry! I didn't get to watch you since I was counting couples and splitting heats. Any chance of booking a private with K and having him review the video? Also, is A's foot better?

12. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Yeah, we just had a private with K where we basically relearned all of standard. And we'll have another one on Tuesday! :) And yes, A's foot is back to normal it seems. No permanent harm done.

Sania likes this.
  13. cornutt

Woo-hoo! We did our showcase waltz tonight. We lost the choreography at one point for a few bars, but we got it back and we were right on the music. It'll be better when we do it again in August, but for now I'll take it.

raindance likes this.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

Outstanding! I can't wait to hear more details next time we see each other

Ailuene likes this.
  15. Sania

Sania Active Member

_Finally_ got in a good evening of social dancing after a month which included events cancelled, a visit to a nighclub normally known for dancing where no one was dancing that evening, a competition (at which I was not competing) and a night of slim pickings on leaders

I was feeling seriously deprived, but three hours on the biggest studio floor in town has started moving the needle back out of the red :)

cornutt and Ailuene like this.
  16. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

wknd definitely filled with lots of dance practice, and sewing, designing, but finally went to the beach for the first time this summer.... I know I'm so late, but was lots of fun....got some real tan also the sand exfoliated my ugly feet a bit lol

17. cornutt

Did local studio comp last weekend with an am partner that I have not danced with seriously before. She's the daughter of a guy I used to work with... I had not seen her for years until she turned up at the studio a year ago. She's a skater who is learning dance and it's been interesting to hear her compare the two things. It was her first comp. We did four dances in smooth and four in rhythm. She did well and I'm proud of her.

18. Mr 4 styles

Lock her down cornutt before jude hears about her lol

RiseNFall and stash like this.
  19. detta

detta New Member

I won a dance battle feeling great!! Lol

RiseNFall likes this.
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Hah. I think he's actually talking about the girl he'd gone out of his way to tell that I was looking for a partner. I don't think it's going to be a good fit though in terms of where we are in our lives and what we're looking for in a partner. She and I chatted a bit yesterday and I think more-or-less came to that conclusion without hard feelings on either party's part.