So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

back on topic...THE most awesome lesson not because I accomplished a doggone thing but b/c I had fun...silver and gold steps w/ mediocre technique...for a showcase....scandalous...so there....

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I had a darn good dancing weekend, thank you. Even though David Hamilton wasn't able to do the workshop we had scheduled because he has an injury. :sad: Our club finally has an instructor who knows AT! And she tought her first AT group class last Thursday. It's waaaaay different from what I'm used to, but it seems like it'll be fun. Great silver rumba class following that, and then two fun hours of social Friday night. And our instructor is able to dance again! Sure wish I could take a private next week, but I'm out of town until Wednesday night.

3. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

I didn't get a dance weekend at all! Darn it! We decided to take a 2-day trip around southern Colorado. Well, wouldn't you know it--we left Friday night and had dinner in a cute little mountain town, and I've been dealing with the repercussions ever since.

Damn it's hard to do a road trip with stomach trouble! Lol! Home now, feeling better. But still don't think dancing is a good thing at the moment.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Went to a jolly nice Milonga in Cheltenham, and somehow, inspired by 'Tango De Roxanne' managed to do a move that I only have seen in performance where the woman sits on the man's knee and crosses her legs.

More amazing still because
    1. I don't know how to lead this move it just happened.
    2. The legs in question were rather nice long ones!

5. luh

luh Active Member

awesome dance weekend.
    there was a balboa, bal-swing workshop in switzerland with marty&valerie(usa) and anne-helene&bernhard (france). The lessons were somewhat slow, i always thought i could go a little faster.

but the best was the party

first i danced a lot of bal-swing and balboa to get practice in it. but after 1h it started getting boring (i was asking one follower after the other, just practicing my basics and the few moves i learned). Than afterwards i started doing some lindy as well. and i was really happy, i somehow got back my old musicality and leading skills. (i had the feeling that they were gone, the last few times i was out dancing). Had some very cool dances as follower with some of the guys there, and it was very neat, had a good feeling about it! i also danced with marty and valerie, though these 3 dances were not as cool. even got an compliment on my follower :D

we had a jam, and once more i'm convinced that musicality out-dos moves. there were a lot of people in the jam, which were way better than me. but when doing something with my knees (i have no clue how to describe what i did, just a little horizontal bouncing maybe?) but that made the people really go wild (they never did cheer that loud than this time )

this weekend really made me feel good again, after all sorts of crap in my life going on for the past few months.

luh

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Why do you say this? I agree, btw. Just wondering about your thought process. :cool: :)

7. luh

luh Active Member

in the beginning i was totally convinced that a cool move would out-do some waving with the knees, which really is totally simple and anyone can do it, it does not need any practice, and basically no skills, while a cool move has probably a lot of technique behind it, and looks even kind of cool

it's just that i was really unsure the last few months, - not about this topic - but life in general, and those little things are the things that cheer me up in life. btw, i said "once more", so - it is not new to me either, just nice to see :)

luh

8. ssjss

ssjss New Member

Sentada, it can be lead from the front ochos. If you want I'll try to explain how to lead it. But its a really nice finishing pose.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

yes please! I would like to know.

10. ssjss

ssjss New Member

No problem I'll PM it to you . Its really lengthy.

11. jschaab

jschaab New Member

Went to a studio ballroom party on Friday night.
    Then a few classes on saturday afternoon: Samba, Merengue(ugh... All I ever hear is how easy this dance is, its got to be my worst), and Westcoast.
    Saturday evening I practiced a waltz formation with some other folks in my studio, then went out swing dancing for the rest of the night.
    Sadly I couldn't find anything dance related to do on Sunday, since my normal sunday activities were all cancelled for Mother's day :/

Looks like this weekend will be pretty much the same, since for the second week in a row the local USABDA chapter isn't holding a dance (How will I survive???). But at least there should be some things to do on Sunday.

12. fascination

tooooooooooooootally sucked mud in my routine for the showcase...sticking head in oven and lighting match...and have a 3 hour coaching w/ a 10 dance champ on monday...someone just shoot me...whoooooooooooooooooo does this for fun?????...i did polka like a maniac tonight and it was the most fun I've had in ages....pro is just looking at me like "OMG, she's gonna quit"

13. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

We quickstepped our asses off, and then did as many cha-chas and swings and foxtrots (and any other damn dance they played- it was a great band), and I danced with a foxy gent twice. Yes, I purposely hugged him far too long, and I'm not ashamed. Some men just deserve it- they have it comin'. Shame it's my teacher's husband, and he's slightly older than I.

Ok, pardon me while I go purge my mind of in-good-fun-yet-still-impure thoughts by binging on mint milano cookies, sunkist almonds (hot and sassy), and Grey Goose and lemonade.

My own male was exceptionally on the mark tonight for nearly everything, but then I guess he got tired and fizzled out. After that, it all went to hell.

Holy Mary Magdalene on a stick- I have just tried the most fabulous candy in the entire world...

14. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Had a great time dancing tonight at MIT (even though I felt sooo out of practice already.... must rectify that asap, lol). Unfortunately, my leg muscles aren't back 100% yet but they're close. (the result of my back injury from like 3 months ago...bizarre, yes, I know) I'll have to tell the physical therapist to work me harder then, lol.

So anyway, had a great time tonight. Got to see, talk to, and dance with alot of great people. :D

what kind of candy was it???

15. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I just now got to where I wasn't speaking in tongues...

Ok, according to the wrapper, it's:

Anastasia's Confections
    Coconut Patties- Dipped in Chocolate.

And that's it. Ok, Almond Joy's too sweet. Mounds is too bitter. Bounty's good, but too dry and flakety.

THESE were just the right combination of moist, but not soggy, and "chunky"- a heavy chunk of coconut/sugar/whatever else dipped in REALLY GOOD chocolate that was too dark for milk, but too sweet for semi- or dark.

It's the kind that's SO rich and heavy you can only REALLY SAFELY eat about 1/2 of a piece (they come in a two-pack, like Reese's, and are squares, only bigger and fatter than Reese's cups). But... well.. you inevitably end up picking at them so that they're all gone.

http://www.anastasiaconfections.com/

Holy cats ! It gets better! I just went to their website, and the devils have Key Lime goodies, too!! I think I'm going to weep. I got to hug up on a hot cowboy, I did seven consecutive travelling spins in salsa (yes, I did the math, and yes, I had to fudge coming out into a New Yorker with a kind of hippyhop), five in cha-cha (same procedure), a great fallaway into a dip (It was dead-center of the floor, and I'm not ashamed to say I milked it for three measures), and now THIS? More awesome fattening candy? What next? I'm playing the lottery, and I don't think I'll burn those shoes just yet after all. I can still use them to kick my partner in the arse with! Aw, I should be nice- he wasn't sufficiently caffeinated for a marathon of fast dancing, or giddy from inappropriate behavior or naughty thoughts.

[​IMG]

Good candy always puts one in a more amiable demeanor.

16. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

oh yea, I've had those before, and you're right, they're really good :)

17. fascination

not into chocolate but if there had been doritos and dip in the house I would have had them for breakfast....will probably sulk and moan all beautiful day...and it is beautiful here

18. luh

luh Active Member

awesome. workshop with skye and frida in switzerland. those guys are great.

though, i got a cold and i got ill as well. probably i'm not gonna go to school tomorrow.
    luh

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Went to ATL Ballroom Dance club last night, had a good time, though I have to admit not as many good or exciting dances as I usually have (did one swing that just frustrated me to no end, the old "stiff arm" syndrome, drove me nuts!) but other than that, I did have a couple VERY enjoyable rhumbas and cha-cha's and most likely THE BEST EVER foxtrot experience with this one woman I dance with somewhat regularly with now. She made it so easy for me to pull things out of the hat I might not have otherwise.

The featured performers were Hannah Cole and Rainier Rics, bot amazing Standard dancers, their Tango especially was blow-away (I spoke to Hannah later asker what that uber-cool song they danced to was, it was NOT typical Tango music to even the slightest degree).

20. fascination

Rainier is awesome...am still pouting that he has left the midwest....