So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I finally went dancing last night! We had a Hawaiian Luau. It was really fun! I really enjoyed the Hawaiian dance, but I don't know what that's called. Does anyone know? I really picked up on it when she was teaching the class. I wish that they made that dance part of Ballroom! Oh that would be fun! Anyways, I almost forgot some steps that I had learned, because I had been away for so long. I did a couple dances really well, but for some of the others... I just sucked at. But at least I got out and danced again! I told myself I wasn't going to until I got my summer job, but I did have some lessons left on my punch card. So, I decided why not? Plus I had a cute Hawaiian outfit I hadn't worn for a couple of years. I'm so proud of me lol! ;)

Oh and I had forgotten how much I missed everyone! Everyone gave me a hug, and my instructor waited by the door for me and gave me a hug right before I walked in! It was really sweet! ;)

2. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

What was the song? I'm looking for unusual tango music.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

Oddly enough, she wasn;t sure herself, she asked for my e-mail and said she would write once she found out. I'll keep you posted

4. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Thanks, Phil!

5. It's Wonderful

It's Wonderful New Member

I had a great time last night. I danced with a few dancers that are infinitely better than me, but I held my own; and I danced with a few who I know were once infinitely better than me, but now I may be drawing even with. Wonderful night! If only I had gotten more than 4.5 hours of sleep before I had to go to work this morning...

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

look into habanera by charlotte church...not everyone's cup of tea but interesting for a showcase and could easily turn into a rumba or a samba....but you have to like a bit of operatic drama in the first place...

7. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I used to love Charlotte Church, then she went all famewhore "teehee, I'm a rebel, see? I'm smoking, and even dyed my hair and kissed an older boy". Ugh.

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Phil, was it the tango from Shall We Dance? It seems like when I saw them perform that was what they used. But I might be remembering someone else. (Well, I know I saw one other couple use it, but it seems like that was what Ranier and Hannah used as well.) You can hear a clip of it (Santa Maria):
    http: // www. amazon.com/gp/product/B0006213IU/sr=8-1/qid=1148272910/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1353143-1826402?%5Fencoding=UTF8

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I feel the same way that you do about Charlotte! She did a duet with Josh Groban and completely ruined the song. It was awful, because she had begun smoking by then and all of that stuff. I still am in love with Josh lol, but she ruined his song. He would have been better with someone else. ;)

10. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Josh Groban is... *quiver*....

Ahem. Um.. yes. He's a nice fellow.

... rrrowwwrrr.

11. africana

africana New Member

great end to a fun weekend tonight, still smiling :)

highlight was having a pro (trained with Jayson Molina from PR) blurt out that I make him nervous! LOL me? make him nervous haha when I was trying to concentrate on following him "perfectly", you know, follow & style without looking like I'm trying hah I guess the diva-titude works lol

I've heard that from other guys before, but for some reason this one was more than flattering :p prolly cos he's positively smoking hot heehee...no no it's more cos he's a great dancer/mover (right, right) lol

12. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

13. alemana

alemana New Member

jimmy anton's THIRTEENTH anniversary party with folks from EVERYWHERE in town and on point (well, trying to keep up, at least.... ;) )

the room was absolutely on fire, the floor slicker than usual, and the sidelines crammed with onlookers.

one highlight of many: watching my own salsa teacher perform and hearing - no, FEELING - the room erupt as she danced forward to take the spotlight.

14. terremoto

terremoto New Member

I had a great weekend - it started Thursday night, I went out dancing and then I went out again Friday and Saturday night. When I wasn't dancing I was on my mountain bike going through a forest or at a friend's barbeque.

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sounds like a blast. :D

16. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

that guy got a voice. Can listen to him for hours on end. And a live performance ? Wow, amazing. No wonder his concerts sell out so fast. May his voice last forever....

*agree* that song with Charlotte C just doesn't do it for me.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

LMAO! Did you see him on the Ally McBeal show?

18. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

We went dancing sunday afternoon and 15 minutes into the dance there was only 1 other person there. DJ was about ready to give us our money back and cancel the dance. Foretunately another 20 people trickled in over the next hour and we had a great time. It was a small crowd, but all of the people loved to dance and and stayed to the end. It was really fun. There was a good balance of between men and woman for those who did not come with a partner, so everyone had a great time.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You are telling me! :p

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's not the only reason why his concerts sell out fast!!! :raisebro: