So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

I have a thing for Ralph Fiennes now. I saw Maid in Manhattan (Don't ask why, I have no idea... it was an accident, I swear), and think he's just smokin' hot. No, he's not sufficiently evil as to be The Dark Lord... but he is indubitably shagtastic.

2. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

Sometimes those small crowds are great. You have plenty or room to dance (west coast swing can take up a lot of space if you have it!)

3. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Tonight went absolutely great, with only two exceptions:
    1. Freddie (Freddie Hicks, proprietor of Freddie's of Paducah, a new ballroom club)'s mother just died, and although he was "up", you could tell he was juuuust barely hanging on to get through the night. Normally this man is a bright, springy, energetic, cheery, charismatic fellow, and I knew something was wrong when I saw he's kind of "went flat" tonight, then I found that out.

2. I think I've blown out my ankle. I did the cold hose, then the liniment/saranwrap/vetrap, and am hoping that I'll be good to go by Monday with some walking and hosing every day.

4. luh

luh Active Member

mixed.

i had 2 awesomely funny dances at the end of the night. one with one of my favorite followers - anne, the other one with fernando and me playing a love song. :)
    than with my favorite follower i had some nice dances as well. the rest of the dances were with beginners, - or they sucked. i got pretty p$ss$d when i was kindly asking someone sth, and the answer was "you got a problem or what?" i hate the boogie people. I'd so love to live in a country where boogie people are not those totally annoying people that are so narrow minded. (i have to go to sweden or some other northern country, to see how it is there)

today - right at the moment to be exact is a big band playing in freiburg. i wanted to go, but now it's rainy and stormy, so i decided not to ride over there. probably a little dangerous driving through the woods right now.

but this means i have more time to work on smits implementation of pdf output. :D
    ~luh

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

"the boogie people" = people who dance boogie woogie? Sounds like a culture clash, to me. :?

6. luh

luh Active Member

yeah - the boogies, or the boogie people are people who dance boogie woogie. there are really bad prejudices against them. and the problem i have is - that always when i bump (not actually bump into them - but - when meeting them) into boogies somewhere they totally match the stereotype.
    Here most Lindy Hoppers dislike the Boogies. A lot of it is because of the narrowminded ness. But also - when they come to a social night, they never change their partner. they often won't take offers to dance with us....

the boogies - strange people.

but i heard that in scandinavia this is different, - and i heard it from many different sources.

luh

7. pygmalion

Yup. The swing-related dance cultures tend to be very distinct, IMO. It's not surprising that there'd be an occasional mismatch. *shrug*

8. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Went dancing last night at Waterfire. It was way too crowded on the dance floor, but I had alot of fun anyway. It was a great time. Saw JohnLL there and had the privilage of dancing a few wonderful dances w/ him. It was also great to see chachachikka too!!!

9. africana

africana New Member

only danced once this weekend cos I made myself sick from dancing in the cold last week (pneumonia again bleh)
    but i feel like I'm in such a great place in my dance life right now :) i mean it's not always perfect, but I feel like i've arrived locally. it feels grrreat having the leads that i consider the best, and that i most enjoy asking me to dance now, more than i ask them, even to the point of skipping dancing with other followers lol...I really like this learning-to be-relaxed-cos-i-got-nothing-to-prove stage :D i hope to keep this feeling!

10. pygmalion

You're kidding! Not again. :( Are you on meds? Or just getting some rest? Hope you feel better soon. :?

11. africana

africana New Member

thanks :) yes I have been downing lots of decongestion pills hehe as well as my inhalers

12. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Lets see....I dorve 16 hours (one way) to go to Grand National Shag/Swing competition in Atlanta. Didn't compete (for once) and just social danced all weekend.

Had a blast. Frankie Manning was there to celebrate his 92nd b-day...didn't get to dance with him but did dance with his son. Also got to watch some great dancing.

Michael Norris and Jennifer Beaver had an incredible routine that worked her pregnancy in (he even cried while performing) and the National Shag Team and Shag Juniors rock something amazing.

13. terremoto

terremoto New Member

I had a four day weekend!!! Its what every weekend should be like.

I started my weekend on thursday and went to a salsa club and listened to a great Cuban band. Then on Friday I went out dancing again. Took saturday off. Sunday I practiced my shines - and then went out dancing again on sunday night!!

14. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Did I forget to say I had a great dance weekend? Well, I did. It wasn't all perfect, but it was pretty cool. J and I both agree it's time for a vacation to somewhere within a four hour drive from here, that has a nice dance party. We're thinking DanceWorld sometime next month, maybe, or a place similar.

15. pygmalion

Good luck with the new shoes. :)

16. alemana

alemana New Member

i crashed a little this weekend.

i was pulling on my dress for a much-anticipated salsa party on sunday and i just imploded... realized i was *making* myself go.

it was a struggle to admit this. i took the dress off and went home. i mean i wandered the city for a bit first, don't get me wrong. i was confused. NOT DANCING??!!? where am i, who am i?

17. pygmalion

I'm glad you listened to yourself. *hugs* :friend:

18. africana

africana New Member

you know, I feel like the breaks in between dance outings are so very important. So don't feel like you missed much, there will always be another "great" event that you "shouldn't have missed", always! Especially for salsa events where the same dancers go to the same places listening to the same songs all the time
    Meanwhile, pacing oneself makes you so much more appreciative of this gift :) sure it means not being 100% "on point" all the time and a bit out of the loop, but it makes me much happier in hte long run

19. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Ok, my ankle is betraying me. After ten months of dancing every day, and over seven months at least of dancing two hours every day, it doesn't hurt WHILE I'm dancing- although it does feel "wobbly" and "week" and like I've pulled a rubber band out and now it's not "snapping back" the right way.

When I stop, then it hurts, twinges, goes floppy, and all that crap.

Maybe I just need to work on that contracheck more. It seemed to...

anyway...

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my dance weekend was non-exsistant but I am making up for it now