So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

concrete is no fun...slippery and bad on the joints...the only time I wear practice sneakers

2. alemana

alemana New Member

hit a social last night to see a performer from Puerto Rico i'd wanted to catch for a long time. great!

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Practically non-existant.

Tried new milonga Thursday, but not a welcoming crowd at all. Probably the least welcoming crowd I've ever been to--including Argentina.

No dancing at all for rest of weekend. Feeling very frustrated and in need of lots of good dances to reset my mood.

4. ssjss

ssjss New Member

I went to a different Milonga on Saturday. I didn't notice the buffet they had laid out until I'd aready went down the street to buy a pizza. But still had a good time dancing with new people.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

non-existant...just dreadful

6. alemana

alemana New Member

Jimmy's was great yesterday... started out slow, due to the intense heat (90 degrees!), but the reduced crowd kept the room cool and gave us space to dance, which was a rare treat.

the DJ kept the tempo manageable - Jimmy's so good that way, he plans every single song with the big picture in mind.

super highlights for me - he dropped Henry Fiol's "Tiene Sabor," a track I adore but have never heard at a social. (i stumbled upon it on "Son Cubano NYC: Cuban Roots, New York Spices 1972-82," a CD i bought solely on the strength of the cover photo.)

right after a great dance with a fave leader to that track, another serious fave - "La Salsa Nunca Se Acaba." I was in HEAVEN!

one more song with my first "steady" lead from years back, and i made myself walk out. when i hit the sidewalk 5 floors down, i had to lean against the building for a minute before i could stumble off into the night.

i freakin LOVE this town.

7. SuzieQ

SuzieQ New Member

Almost nothing--social on Friday night--then went out of town to visit son--good time but not dancing!

8. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

At a social, I had one of those "dream" dances with my pro--where you're in perfect synch and everything just flows. That's the first time that's happened with my pro, although I've had them with other leaders. But with my pro! Heaven!

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

nada...but taht's ok...I think...dancing tomorrow...with my first scooter ride after so loong...and so many other good things....

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. :eyebrow:

11. alemana

alemana New Member

it's my birthday so i'm starting my dance weekend early - tonight!

12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Happy birthday alemana! :cheers:

13. alemana

alemana New Member

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How did it go? :)

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Alemana!
    Have a great time!

16. alemana

alemana New Member

i had a lot of fun dancing on my birthday. i think i will pretend it's my birthday more often, it gets you a lot of advantages :)

in any case the fun continues tonight, thursday, the traditional kickoff to the salsa weekend here in nyc. it's a HUGE lineup this weekend (lots of events, PLUS it's Pride, so that's even more on my calendar) but the most salient point for me is:

tonight Africana is in town and we're gonna go out and knock 'em dead. cuidado!

17. alemana

alemana New Member

ok kids, here's a shocker:

Africana tore up the floor last night at Cache. never mind that the floor was pretty horrible, the crowd overheated and exhausted, the music not at its best - girlfriend jetted in from Cali and showed some new yorkers how you get down on 2.

we're going to another social tonight (and then saturday, and then sunday, and then...) and i swore to myself, as my head hit the pillow last night at 3 am (on a school night) i'd do my best to keep up with her.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

belated greetings...:oops:

19. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Performed a West Coast Swing earlier tonight, and did just fine. :D

20. luh

luh Active Member

had a nice swing event on friday night. did some stealing, - it's really time that they learn how to steal correctly.
    just don't know yet how I'm able to put that into the community. we had already some stealing workshops.
    other than that i finally feel a slight improving in my leading. (and the follows do too ) :)
    luh