So You Think You Can Dance Season 10

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Yanou, May 14, 2013.

1. Yanou

Yanou Member

SYTYCD starts tonight! I am looking forward to it!

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Glad you posted! Would have missed it.

Bye Bye DWTS (if reception is good).

These audition shows are actually some of my favorites because people get SO excited if they get to go to Vegas. And there is such a variety of styles and personalities.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Didn't agree with some of the "straight to Vegas" solos, but what do I know :rolleyes:. We'll see if they survive that.

Really really REALLY could have done without the repeated showings of the knee dislocation :eek:. Yuck yuck yuck! Disturbing. I don't see how she will tolerate the demands of the training, rehearsals, and performances if she pops apart so easily.

4. Yanou

Yanou Member

I liked the first one the most, then the guy with ??? (I don't know how to call it) on his head. Now ready for tonight's episode.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Do you mean the guy with the tutu around his neck? He was wonderful, and according to my notes, his name is Elijah Laurant.

6. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Only one couple was shown. I hope that changes!

7. Yanou

Yanou Member

I like what I've seen so far. Many talented, original dancers and more ballroom couples! I do remember, though, ballroom dancers tend to disappear during the Vegas round....

8. Steve Pastor

I'd be willing to bet the the drop out rate for aminators, poppers, bone breakers, etc is at LEAST as high.

9. Yanou

Yanou Member

True!

10. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Notes?

11. leee

leee Well-Known Member

Why, yes, I take notes, so that I can write up things like this!

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Great to see people from USA Dance doing so well. I hope we see some serious latin and ballroom competitors in the top 20!

Boston auditions:
    Kate Kapshandy!

Ashley Goldman and Philip Kudryavstev!

Go latin dancers!!!

13. Steve Pastor

leee, keep us informed when you update your blog. Interesting reading. You are scarey into this!

I for one am interested in the social "class issues" you brought up, since I have some thoughts on that that go way back.

leee likes this.
  14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Obviously we aren't privy to everything the judges see and it is "edited for television impact", but I find it odd that the Latin dancers are IMO throwing out the same typical recycled Cha routine (cue J.Lo music...) and getting tickets to Vegas. No "let's see what else you can do". Theoretically I bet if you worked intensely and exclusively on a Cha sequence for the audition for a few weeks/months, it'd be stellar. But that doesn't make you a *dancer*, really.

theAnnelis likes this.
  15. RickRS

RickRS Member

Theoretically, maybe it stellar, but not if you're not that good to begin with.

Of course, there isn't weeks/months to practice during Vegas week, so that's where the rubber meets the road for most of the one trick ponies that got a Vegas ticket.

Not to be negative on those "one trick pony". I love the audition shows in spite of their somewhat frustrating nature because there are some dancers that do an amazing routine in audition and then disappear, for whatever reason.

16. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Wow, very nice. Thank you for sharing...

17. Yanou

Yanou Member

I am sooooo looking forward to seeing tonight's show. I was there in the audience!

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

graats how fun

wife and i went to a taping of DWts and loved every minute of it

live is bettterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

19. leee

leee Well-Known Member

I went to a SYTYCD taping, and I preferred the TV experience. Of course, I had nosebleed seats.

20. leee

leee Well-Known Member

PS, I have a new post up for the prior week, unfortunately didn't have time to do more than very brief thoughts on the auditioners themselves.