Soaring gas prices

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 9, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

I was filling up my car last night and I noticed the soaring gas prices! Where I live, the gas price is hovering around $3.48 to $3.84/gallon (U.S.$)!! That pretty much just added another 10-15% to my commuting expense!.... so, what do you guys do amidst the skyrocketting fuel cost?

Bike? Walk? Public transit?

I guess if there's a positive side to this, that'll probably be people driving less and producting less air pollution......
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

$3.84? Yikes. I paid $2.33 yesterday and was outraged. Of course, I live in Texas, where there are lots of oilwells and refineries (and less transportation costs for fuel, I assume)

But still. Yikes. :(

I've changed the way I do almost everything. I think in circuits(complete cirles,) now. Everything I do during the week must be on the way to work or on the way home. Or else it doesn't get done. On the weekend, I run my errands in circuits too, to minimize the number of miles I drive.

I have a feeling gas prices are never going to go down. So get used to it. :(
  3. lynn

lynn New Member

Makes me want to move to alberta.....next to all the oilwells and 0 provincial taxes!
  4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Gas prices change here daily. The last time I filled up the tank the price was about $2.39 a gallon.
  5. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

it has me seriously considering buying a hybrid (once I get a job) now that the air-conditioning is not working in my car. My dad has let me use his car occasionally (for the AC) and we take turns filling it up, but I drive it more, so that has helped a bit. Yes, I realize how blessed I am.
    but I'm kind of partial to the miniCooper's as well..... must get a job first...
  6. Medira

Medira New Member

Ugh, I know what you mean! We're not quite as expensive in Ontario, but we're getting up there. I was hoping to get a job I recently interviewed for in Banff, but it ended up not working out. *sigh* I was pining for it more because of the skiing in the winter though. :p
  7. lynn

lynn New Member

Come to vancouver then! We're close to Whistler, you can ski all you want!!
  8. africana

africana New Member

paid $2.75/gallon, outraged as well

I definitely have cut down my clubbing trips to the city!! sometimes I will carpool with friends (although I seem to have more friends who aren't considerate enough to compensate for gas expenses :? I'll have to be more direct)

but at least I spend time at home, working out more, also more DF ;) since I no longer watch much TV.
    I cut down on shopping trips too :(
  9. yola

yola New Member

well... prices are relative..maybe this helps you feel better: here gas costs about €1.20 p/l that is 5.59 $ p/gallon...

We in Europe think it's strange that gas in the us is so cheap... because we (the world) are running out of fossil fuel at an alarming rate, and bc of pollution.

luckily i don't have to worry about gas prices, as i don't even have a driver's licence, and do my travelling on foot, bike or by train. For going out i carpool with a friend, and i contribute to the cost.
  10. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Someone recently told me the reason for our high gas prices was the ever-expanding demand in China for oil, which is lowering the supply. I have no idea if this is true or not....
  11. ratherbdancing

ratherbdancing New Member

WOW- it is around $2.40 here. I guess i should tell people to stop complaining about it! I dont drive yet so I dont have to worry about that right now :D
  12. lynn

lynn New Member

Part of me is hanging on to the car because of convenience and yet the environmentalist in me is urging me to take the bus (which would add another 1.5 hrs to my commuting time), it's a dilemma.....
  13. lynn

lynn New Member

It's certainly a contributing factor, but i don't think it's the only variable in the equation of high prices....
  14. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Ugh, the gas prices make me grumpy :evil: . Most of the cities in the U.S. have no public transportation system to speak of. We're supposed to have a good one here in Madison but I think that's only by comparison because I can't get anywhere near my work by bus (and to get within half a mile would take 45 minutes when its a five minute drive). I miss living in Seattle and Coppenhagen where I didn't need a car at all!!
  15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Boston/Cambridge area has a really good system, IMO. 8)
  16. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

Living in DC, I don't know how much I save by not driving. I still ahve to drive to the closest metro stop (about 10 minutes) and then is $3.15 each way to work and another $3.50 per day to park (and you have to pay for parking if you leave anytime before the metro closes at 1am). It's nearly $50 a week not counting the half a tank of gas I go through weekly. I'm at least not putting worse wear and tear on my car, but as far as my wallet goes, I'm not sure.
  17. Medira

Medira New Member

That's why I take the train in to Toronto for work. If I drove, I'd be paying $15-$20 to park close to where I work. If I parked farther away and took the subway/streetcar/bus from a reasonable location, it would still be $10-$15 to park and $2.50 either way for transit. Add in gas costs, and my $300/month to park for the train, avoiding the rush-hour commutes is definitely worthwhile.

Oh, and it would still be an hour and a half to two hours one way whether I drove or took the bus/train.
  18. Medira

Medira New Member

Hehehe! I'd love to. Anything to get out of here, actually... I'm hoping to score some sort of job out that way as we get closer to the Olympics as well...it would be fabulous to be there!
  19. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I bike as much as I can and then take the bus. But sometimes when you need to do many things it just ain't possible. I also need a car to go to places to dance. For instance, today I biked to the bus-stop, and too the bus to work. I'm biking home, and making some of my spicebeef burger patties. While that is going on someone is going to see a full mattress that I am selling at 5:30, then someone else is going to eb seeing a desk and lamp that I am selling at 7:00pm. If possible I also would like to slip out of the apartment and go a couple miles away to buy a nice black leather ottoman for 3 dollars! I want to head to the grocery store and buy bananas as well. I also must knock on my neighbors doors and see what time they want to go dancing....

I would not be able to do all this without a car in one evening.
  20. setsuna713

setsuna713 New Member

I park at the very end of the line (I live too close to take the commuter rail.... i'd have to drive away from the city to catch it and the some of the commuter rail parking lots have fees as well) and once I get on the train I still have a 40 minute ride into work.