Soaring gas prices

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

THIS!

Yay, capitalism.
  2. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I think I saw a 4 last night... it hurt my soul.
  3. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

As long as people are willing to pay their prices, the oil companies will charge whatever the market will bear. Just like Apple selling iPods and iPads.

I am not trying to start a green debate. It's just a pity that so many places are laid out in such a way that you simply cannot get by without a car or can get by but only at a substantial inconvenience, or even danger with the way the idjits around here drive.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is probably not relevant to many DFers, but I know it's relevant to some, so I'll share. Kroger and its affiliated stores have started offering up to a dollar discount per gallon of gas with purchases.

Ten cents off per $100 grocery purchase.
    Ten cents off per $50 on prescriptions and gift cards. I think (could be wrong) that there are extra perks for transferred prescriptions.

Cumulative (within a calendar month) for up to one dollar a gallon discount. Only valid at Kroger affiliated stores in certain US states, but still. I know that this deal is old news on the East Coast, but it's brand new here in Texas. I doubt I'll ever get a whole dollar discount, but getting 40 cents off per gallon the other day sure felt good. (Instead of buying DS's summer wardrobe with cash, I bought some of it with gift cards that I bought at Kroger.)

http:// www .kroger.com /in_store/fuel/Pages/default.aspx
  5. pygmalion

Now Randall's (Tom Thumb) is doing it too. Up to $1.00 off per gallon at stores/gas stations in Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Maryland, Texas, Virginia and Washington, D.C. looking forward to my first less than $3.00 a gallon fill-up in far too long :-D
  6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ralph's has partnered with Shell Gas Stations in special offers for gasoline. Von's has partered with selected gas stations as well.
    My sister in law and I were just talking about this...in Texas last week, and she says "funny how groceries decidedly increased in cost (bacon for example went to $8bucks a pound - yep I took a pic of the price tag out here) and gas went up to over $4 a gallon at the same time" and we snickered. Well our family does not necessarily "need" bacon - and $4 a gallon is a deal breaker for useless trips in the car. hmmmmmm. It's all about "value" now.
  7. pygmalion

Ralph's= Kroger
    Tom Thumb = Randall's = Safeway :cool:

But apparently, some markets offer the dollar gas discount, some don't, and some offer lesser amounts. And yes, bacon is $8.00 a pound at kroger, which is why I buy it with the plus card or buy it at a discount store like Target. But since I usually budget cash all summer to pay for DS's school clothes in the fall, I've just been buying gift cards instead. There are two dollar off per gallon discounts banked on my grocery store discount card.

And I have DS's fall wardrobe pretty much paid for in Kohl's, Macy's, JCpenney Nordstrom, etc gift cards. Next I start accumulating Best Buy, Target and Gamestop cards to pay for his Christmas presents. All money I would have spent anyway. And I get cheap gas to boot. Pretty cool.
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

= Dominick's
  9. 3wishes

Good to know, Joe. Thanks. When I travel, for work -especially ....I like to pick up my own market items - but gas is on the employer with mileage logged. No wonder they changed their fleet cars over to electric powered vehicles for local driving.
  10. pygmalion

Gotta love a dollar discount. I paid $2.44 just now. Sure feels good, saving 13 bucks on one tank. :-D
  11. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I can only manage to get 10 cent discounts for every $100 that I spend at Kroger. And it made me happy until I knew there were dollar discounts out there. I'm so jealous of the dollar discount.
    Oh well, don't have to buy gas until Thursday evening, so I'll just enjoy my half tank until then. :)
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

The most I'm paying for gas now is $3.86/gallon. If I time it well for a day when gas is on sale I can get $3.80/gal. Much better than over 4 dollars a gallon. But no such wonderful deals as you guys have for me in New York.
  13. pygmalion

You never know. I noticed that Kroger offered this discount in the Mid-Atlantic when I was there last year, and it's only been a month since the discount was introduced here. So there's still hope that it will be introduced where you are. :)

What I find hilarious is that my Kroger sells Target gift cards. So I buy the gift cards at Kroger, then go use the gift cards to buy my groceries at Super Target, thereby killing two birds with one stone. I get my groceries at (often much lower than Kroger) Target prices and still get the Kroger gas discount. Awesomeness! *grin*

ETA: Didn't connect all the dots. If I buy $100 worth of groceries at Kroger, I get 10 cents off per gallon. If I buy gift cards at Kroger and use those same gift cards to buy groceries at Target, I get at least 20 cents off per gallon. I GUESS they know what they're doing. Not really ...
  14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Catch 22.
  15. pygmalion

Yup. Either way I lose. That's pretty much the way it's always been. And i can lose with $3.50 a gallon gas or $2.50 a gallon gas. *shrug*
  16. 3wishes

Right now? I'm lookin at an 80 dollar one way air fare offerings on Jet Blue, and Southwest for late August, September, October and the beginning of November.
    And discussing with Dear Hubby, the mere fact that driving to Austin from so. Calif . as many timess we have to in the next few months - would be a deal breaker.
    It is bizarre that I can fly there cheaper than driving to Vegas. OUCHIE - says the wallet.
  17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yep, going to see family, and found plane tickets that are cheaper than gas to drive would be.
  18. pygmalion

Thanks for the tip on the cheap fares, 3w. I found some great tickets to take me and DS to see family in the fall.
  19. pygmalion

*bump*

The Kroger in my area is now offering up to $2.00 discount per gallon, with 2000 fuel points. AND gift cards earn quadruple points, right now (Dads and Grad special.) So a $500 gift card purchase gets you $2.00 per gallon (up to 32 gallon fill-up, IIRC.)

My strategy? But gift cards at Kroger for everywhere else I shop. DS's graduation/birthday gifts and fall wardrobe purchases are coming right up. Amazon, Best Buy, Kohl's, Target, JCPenney, Staples. All gift cards. Yay! I'm going to enjoy getting two bucks off per gallon. That is awesome.

Now through September 30. (For the $2.00 discount. Not sure how long the quadruple points will last.)
  20. 3wishes

SERIOUSLY!!!!! sigh, gas in my area is almost at $5 bucks a gallon. The closer a 3 day weekend comes - stations raise the price, then it goes down. I'm going to have to check the "buy gift card thing" out at our local retail markets and see if any of them are doing that. THANKS Pyg for the update. It is definately a win win. (note: currently gas tank is almost empty empty empty..trying to make one tank last an entire month).