Soaring gas prices

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Aug 9, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

It does, thanks!

3. jon

jon Member

I didn't have a driver's license until I was over 30, or a car for several years after that, thus I'm very confident in saying that public transit is an extremely suboptimal alternative everywhere except dense urban cores, which represent a tiny fraction of the US by area and a significant minority by population. Cars are not "sickening", they're a rational, convenient, affordable, and time-saving way to get from point a to point b. I save hundreds of hours of time every year, have many more choices of where to live and far more freedom, and go dancing much more often and to a far larger variety of places than I could before having a car.

People who want to take away my travel options to feed their political biases, or install punitive taxes for the benefit of the urban minority, are not people I can respect.

4. pygmalion

Wow. I don't think I want to touch the tax topic. No sir. Not me. 8)

I was thinking about this topic, as well, jon. The best conclusion I could come up with is that Americans' fates were sealed back in the fifties when Truman (I think :? ) opted to invest so much in the interstate highway system. The choice was made then, IMO. An investment was made in developing a transportation infrastructure. It just happened to be car-based and petroleum dependant. *shrug* Oh well. :?

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Amen. If I lived in a major metropolitan area I wouldn't have a car, but where I am it is a necessity to enjoy life. I use my bicycle and the public buses whever I evaluate that my life energy is better spent doing so and so any use of my car I attribute to the crappy public transportation system.

6. pygmalion

Same here. I grew up in Philadelphia, which has a moderate (not stellar, but not bad) public transportation system. I didn't learn to drive until I moved 70 miles away to Allentown, a fairly large town with abysmal public transport. I mean abysmal. At that point, I had no logical choice other than to get a license and a car... or to depend on someone else's license and car. Getting around by bus just didn't work. *shrug*

7. jon

jon Member

Eisenhower, but yeah. Of course the original purpose hasn't come about yet, thankfully. Even seeing a military convoy on the highways is very rare unless you live near a major base.

8. pygmalion

Truman. Eisenhower. Eh. I mostly slept through the second half of twelfth grade American History class, much to the consternation of Mr. R, my teacher. What can I say? *shrug* :wink: :lol:

9. luh

luh Active Member

you guys just don't know how cheep it is at your place!
    Ours is way more expensive!
    luh

10. pygmalion

Yeah. I remember the first time I went to Spain. The gas prices there were about the same per litre as we were paying per gallon (3.78 litres,) at the time. Yikes! I wonder what gas prices are in Spain, these days. :?

11. luh

luh Active Member

and they are pretty icky in germany too.
    (btw - it's 3.785 litres) ;)
    luh

12. pygmalion

:roll: Uhh... thanks. :wink:

13. luh

luh Active Member

lol, sorry, i had to be super-precise. I know. But if it don't have to be THAT exact, it would be 3.79 litres...
    don't take me serious - it's late
    luh

14. pygmalion

Actually, depending on the number of significant digits you choose, I've seen it called everything from 3.8 to 3.7854118. Eh. *Shrug*

Bottom line. Gas costs too much, IMO. :wink: :lol:

15. luh

luh Active Member

sorry, wrong again. If you'd take 3 significant figures it would be 3.79, if you'd take 4 it would be 3.785. so no matter how oyu put it, - gas costs to much ;)
    luh

16. lynn

lynn New Member

well, given that it's a supply-demand market, there really isn't much we can do...not to mention we have limited fossil fuel...

17. luh

luh Active Member

change to something else. there are enough cool things out.
    luh

18. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

Ike had not that long previously fought a war in which the Autobahn played an important role (for both sides, in the end)... this was in marked contrast to an disasterous cost-to-cost road convoy experiment he was involved in with the US army in 1919.

19. pygmalion

Yeah. The decision makes plenty of sense, in a historical context. 8) It just had some long-reaching implications that may not have been foreseeable, at the time.

20. lynn

lynn New Member

true, but given that the presidential term is only 4 years, it's tough to ask the government to think about long term plans that expands beyond 4 years.