Some of my favourite swing clips

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Siggav, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Mostly lindy hop but there's one kickass collegiate shag one and some balboa as well.

First the shag actually, crazy awesome. I can't understand how they can breathe at the end of it though

This one is a super fun informal teachers performance with a bunch of solo vintage jazz in there as well as lindy and balboa

Balboa clip I like. Her skirt is amazing and I like that they do a bunch of basic in hold steps.

First lindy clip I ever saw, Max and Thomas. I remember seeing it and thinking it was awesome but also that I didn't think I could ever learn how to dance like that. It's a choreographed routine but their connection is really good and fluid and the choreography is nice and playful.

Skye and Frida being awesome (had a hard time picking a clip, they're just awesome over all, I love how social dance-y (shh that's totally a word) even their choreographed routines are)

pygmalion likes this.
  2. Siggav

Another choreographed one but super fun as well, it's one of the first clips I looked up after being told about the local classes I could go to and it convinced me to go (I didn't need much convincing though to be honest

Posted this one before but it deserves to be here, the musicality is just brilliant in this jack and jill

Then this is a clip that just makes me grin like a loon. It's the all skate of that same jack and jill competition. People are paired together randomly and have to dance to random songs. However in this particular case one follow couldn't dance so in the all skate (where all the couples dance at the same time) one follow ended up dancing with two leads in a steal dance, then that escalated

I love watching well done steal dances, so here's another one

I've got a ton more favourites but stopping now

pygmalion likes this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great videos! Yours inspired me so I spent an hour or two scouring youtube. There's a lot of good stuff out there. Glad you got your posting privileges. :) I enjoyed the videos. And yeah. The shag people in the first video are CRAZY. How neither of them had a heart attack, I can't begin to imagine.

4. pygmalion

Oh yeah and my second fave,of your faves, was the teachers' jam in Berlin. What absolute fun. I spent this evening watching a lot of WCS J&J finals. Some I loved. Some not so much. A lot of the newer stuff seems to be really pushing the envelope and getting away from the traditional. Not sure I like it. I can see where some of the debates are coming from. I'll post some vids tomorrow, so we can discuss.

5. pygmalion

Oh my gosh! I was browsing around last night and found something that might be even more heart attack inducing than that shag. Boogie Woogie fast finals. Fast is definitely the right word. :) And the caption says the songs are chosen at random and the routines are not choreographed. Wow.

6. pygmalion

I suppose I should add that the very first thing I did was listen for the swung rhythm. Not there. Boogie Woogie is completely different. The dance comes from the same roots, but the music is completely different. You mentioned the other day that the swung rhythm dropped out in the fifties. Yes. I begin to see that.

7. Siggav

You're right re: the swung rythm, and you can also see how it changes the dance, it fits then to have more of an "up" pulse or bounce vs. the bit more laid back down and into the floor pulse you get in lindy. The music is more square or sharper so the sharper movements start to go with it.

I think it's really cool though to see how it's pretty much always the music coming first and then the dances evolve and change when the music changes

pygmalion likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Exactly. Exactly. It's the music first. :)

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Shuffle Rhythm - any takers?

10. Siggav

Best description of it Ive found is just from wikipedia:

"In shuffle rhythm, the first note in the pair is exactly twice the duration of the second note. In swing the division is inexact, and varies depending on factors such as how fast or slow the music is, on the genre of music, or the individual tastes of the performer, from almost equal (typically at fast tempos) to almost shuffle (typically at slow tempos)."

Don't have any videos off the top of my head that really features it though

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Just checking. Have been planning to post in West Coast music thread, but am a bit intimidated by you real musicians! - just kidding - sort of

12. pygmalion

When I youtubed it, I found this really great blues guitar tutorial. Too bad it cuts off just as he's about to bring it home. Still looking for part two. If this is the right thing, it's the most recognizable blues guitar line evah. :)

13. Siggav

Speaking of blues. Really well filmed and not choreographed.

14. pygmalion

So (this is probably a stem for another thread, but ...) what makes blues dance blue dance? The music? Here's a very different looking blues dance demo from d nice, who used to be on the staff here.

15. Siggav

Blues is actually a bit of a term like swing. There are a ton of different blues dances that all fall under the umbrella of blues and they can look quite different, but yeah the music is a major part of it.

There's a whole big thing about "fusion" dancing which is sometimes what basically dancing (something close to) blues to non blues music is called and there are people who really like doing that and others who think that's the worst thing.

But yeah there's different types of blues dance and they're often mixed up within one dance, slow drag blues is really easy to pick out. That's the one when the follow looks like she's draped over the lead pretty much, with contra body motion while travelling a fair bit and covering a bunch of ground in each step. Slow blues is more of a spot dance, both of those done in closed embrace.

However you can also dance in a more open embrace or just in full open.

I did a workshop last weekend where they just focused on slow blues, stroll and shuffle, it was a lot of fun. Im pretty new at dancing blues though, only been taking regular lessons for around 4-5 months so nothing close to an expert

16. pygmalion

Ah. That explains this.

And you don't have to be an expert to have information and an opinion to share. :)

17. Siggav

Yep :)

Oh and here is some great blues fusion, I love how they swap the lead back and forth all the time. I'm pretty sure Ive seen WCS to that same tune as well but it looks completely different then

18. Siggav

one more (I just keep on posting ;))

delightful lindy showcase done to a modern tune that while not swing per se still has that sort of round feeling

btw pygmalion I did just see the tango done to that tune. It fits swing better I think but that was a fun clip to watch though

19. pygmalion

I love the way they switch the lead as well. :) Interesting. So fusion is traditional blues dance set to non-traditional music?

I'd love to see the WCS version, too, btw. :cool:

20. Siggav

Fusion is theoretically "just" joining several dance styles or mixing up dances and music etc. but yeah usually if someone sais they dance fusion it's blues danced to non-traditional music and that then in turn changes the dancing some.

I found a tango to that music

West coast jack&jill