Some of my favourite swing clips

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Siggav, Mar 19, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Check this one out. Looks like the two-dance tradition is different in different places. This camp was in Moscow. The couple does a boogie woogie followed by (I think) WCS? And btw, this guy Ben Morris is awesome!

2. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

haha yes. I think the two dance thing is actually you needing to do a slower one and a faster one and they can choose between a few genres, but they're messing about in that one

Very fun to watch. They have done crossover jack and jills as well as places like the Boston Tea Party event where the jack and jill are one lindy hopper and a westie put together and the two songs are one lindy song and one WCS one.

Ben Morris and Naomi Uyama, she's an awesome lindy hopper

Here's one where the lead is a lindy hopper and the follow a westie.

3. pygmalion

Oh wow. Those are awesome! I think what I like the most is how the character of the dancing changes completely from genre to genre -- posture, stance, everything.

This is very, very cool. thanks. :)

4. Siggav

Another crossover one, Nina Gilkenson has the best swivels

juwest333 likes this.
  5. pygmalion

My admiration for Ben Morris grows. In all the videos I've viewed so far, Nina Gilkenson is the first of the follows to look equally comfortable with both styles. This guy just listens to the music for a minute, then dances whatever they throw at him with what appears to be equal ease. Wow.

Oh yeah. And I like her swivels, too. :)

6. Siggav

If I remember correctly Ben Morris started out in lindy and did that for a while before branching out into WCS and he's carried on teaching/competing in both, although more in WCS now I think. Anyway not surprising he's awesome in the crossover events!

Im more used to look at lindy vids than WCS so it really stands out to me when the westie follows lack the bounce/pulse when dancing lindy, probably not as good at noticing WCS that's a bit too lindy-ish. I do think the crossover is harder for the follows in general though, move more and do more stylings so nailing both is really hard

7. pygmalion

It makes sense that it would be harder for follows, because it's not just the bounce, it's also styling, which has to be appropriate to the music and the period of the music. (Can you imagine a low down and dirty booty-shaking body roll to an upbeat lindy tune from 1945? Not so much.)

I'll send some more time in youtube today and tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks for introducing me to the crossover events. It's very, very educational to see two swing dances that have completely different characters, side by side. :)

8. bookish

bookish Active Member

This is another good crossover. Whereas Ben seems to be mostly WCS with Lindy background, Max is a well-known Lindy pro who I didn't previously know did WCS. And Tessa is of course awesome, but I didn't know she did Lindy. Note that the tempo of the Lindy song is 245bpm, which is faster than most Lindy comp music and very fast for anyone who doesn't do a ton of Lindy. I thought they won, but it doesn't say on that video. (P.S. OK, one of the videos above had Max in it too. And the three Lindy songs above were 180-190bpm.)

Mr 4 styles and Siggav like this.
  9. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

All-Star Jack & Jill at ILHC 2012. It was even more exciting watching this live. One of my favorites!

10. Siggav

Thanks for sharing, and now I'm envious that you got to be there. I live in the UK so it would be major planning/expense for me to go to any US based events.

11. pygmalion

Yeah. Apparently, I am one of the lucky ones. There will be two large swing dance competitions held near me this year. One is WCS and includes the chance to register for the Skippy Blair intensive workshop (It's taught by two other certified instructors. The other one advertises "America's Top Competitors," but doesn't specify, except for these:

Jeannie Tucker * Barry Jones
    Angel & Debbie Figueroa * Deborah Szekely
    Damon & Lisa DÔÇčAmico * Matt & Crystal Auclair
    Shawn & Kristen Moody
    Scott Stuart & Melina Ramirez-Stuart

Both are pretty far in the future, so the schedules probably aren't finalized yet.I will definitely be there. :)

12. bookish

bookish Active Member

Oh man, I have so many good Lindy clips saved. But here's one choreographed showcase, which has great energy & musicality, and one pro "social demo" which is just well-executed socially leadable moves. BTW, there's a pinned thread of video clips in the main swing forum but it seems really out of date...

13. pygmalion

Yeah. That thread was created before we even had a video sub-forum. It should probably get unpinned. *shrug*

14. pygmalion

I love both the clips, btw, bookish. The second one raises some questions for me, though. Lindy hop is a HUGE dance, in terms of the amount of real estate a couple takes up on the dance floor. This pro couple is demonstrating social Lindy and basically uses the entire dance floor all by themselves. (That doesn't seem too social to me. lol.) How the heck do you manage to minimize collisions? What's the etiquette? Yes. I know that should be in a separate thread, so I'll go look and see if we already have one. If we do, I'll bump it up If not, I'll start a new one.

15. bookish

bookish Active Member

Good catch. You can dance on the spot, but they're using the space because they have it. It's more just that the moves are socially leadable and not choreo/flash. Most of them could take up less space.

pygmalion likes this.
  16. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Also, at Lindy events especially in the later and late hours where many of the beginners and others have already left to go home, there is A LOT of real estate available on the dance floor. A lot of magic takes place during those times. You can become creative, experiment with new moves, get silly, and all kinds of craziness!

17. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

Last video for tonight, I promise! lol The lead is our instructor at our dance venue here. We're so proud of him! *sniff*

What I love most about this video is that there are certain times where a move he tries to do doesn't connect properly and he plays it off in such amazing ways.

18. Siggav

Oh wow congratulations to your teacher! That's an amazing video and I was about to go and post it here when I saw you'd done it already :D

As for dancing lindy socially on crowded dance floors it totally works but can get a bit floorcraft heavy sometimes, as in a big part of the brainspace of the dancers is being taken up with managing floorcraft rather than letting go and -dancing-. I have also been bumped into and kicked etc. it does happen. Another reason why dancing in flats is recommended. Being accidentally kicked or stood on by someone in sueded sneakers or other flats is way better than being kicked by someone wearing heels

Here's a nice clip of people social dancing to a live band

19. Siggav

Want to add in that in that clip you can see the two leads bump into one another at roughly 2:17, very minor bump and they just carry on

20. Siggav

Another awesome clip

Very much a showcase type routine, was done for a cabaret. More vintage jazz dance than anything else really but absolutely captivating

pygmalion likes this.