Song Title Identification Thread

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by opendoor, May 6, 2012.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The song from 1:08 (singing starts at 1:16) is by no means a tango, it´s shuffle (which is a swing rhythm). Maybe that´s the reason why no one around knows this title?

The move database quotes 2 songs:
    "Boys´Night out", singer Patti Page, composer Jimmy van Heusen
    "Cathy", singer Patti Page, composer Jimmy van Heusen

2. jimbo

jimbo New Member

Jimmy Van Heusen did these 2 songs but the movie soundtrack is by FrankDeVol,who is credited of course.
    The tune in question must be either an original score by DeVol or an arrangement of a famous tango.

please look at my post with the link to the tune.
    The tune is a tango as confirmed by member UKDancer.

3. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

I have been listening to your .mp3 for a couple of times. To me, it sounds like a rather loose interpretation of the tango Ojos Negros Que Fascinan. I may be wrong, but at least the intros are pretty similar. It's probably DeVol's interpretation of a tango, more suitable for movies. This song was famous outside of Argentina too, I also have a Russian version of it.

youtube-com/watch?v=2na5Ry8jRrU (Canaro)

Russian version: youtube-com/watch?v=Zi5tvmeI7-A

jimbo likes this.
  4. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

I am comparing parts of your clip and parts of my song. The songs really are similar, aren't they?

5. jimbo

jimbo New Member

they do have some similarities,but i think you answered my question.I know nothing about tango music,so i thought it might be a famous tune.You seem to know about tangos so ,it has to be some original score for that scene in the movie by DeVol,obviously inspired by general tango music,and in the style of ballroom like UKDancer says. .
    Thanks for helping me out.

6. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

Enjoy the song! It probably was just a coincidence to your advntage, I was listening to this exact song when I started to read this topic once again and decided to download your file.

It's one of my favourites (a very original tune with lyrics that came from a Ukrianian poem) by Canaro and also certainly interesting for people who don't know anything about tango music.

jimbo likes this.
  7. jimbo

jimbo New Member

how is this danced?can you explain please?

8. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Anything I might say about Ballroom Tango here, in the Argentine Tango forum, is bound to be trashed by the tango police (who are self-appointed, and accountable to no one - rather like the real police); so I might as well go for broke...

This is ballroom tango dancing of the very highest standard. It is the fully developed form of a dance that found its way from the not-at-all respectable slums of Argentina, to Paris, in the years immediately before the Great War, and later to other European & American cities. Sanitised, it later made its way back to Argentina, and continued to develop, but in another direction, and it became the socially acceptable dance of a few venues in central Buenos Aires and of certain suburbs for a few decades, before falling into complete obscurity in the late 1950s, caught up in a wave of political change (when tango was no longer approved of), and with youth culture in thrall to Rock & Roll, just like everywhere else.

It never was, and still isn't, the National dance of Argentina, but there was a tango revival from the mid-1980s, for which the United Kingdom can largely take the credit; and now, tango is danced, once again, in BsAs, by lots of tourists, some professional dancers who make their living from tourists, and by some very old people.

;)

9. jimbo

jimbo New Member

thank you ,i didnt mean to put you in a spot,i dont have experience with dancing,the clip is self explanatory.

10. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

I don't agree with your interpretations of two episodes in tango history as explained here. Moreover, your description of the current dancing public in BA is not accurate.

sixela likes this.
  11. sixela

sixela Active Member

Quite. But hey, I don't mind the occasional reminder of what we're not dancing (to be fair, the music that goes with it --and that clip is no exception-- would usually make me shoot myself rather than dance anyway), and I'm not someone to bear those who like ballroom tango a grudge.

12. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It's true, the music of BR tango is mostly really dreadful. It's better with the sound off.

I wasn't being wholly serious, you know ... :rolleyes:

sixela likes this.
  13. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

That's explains a lot. :eek: It's a bit difficult sometimes to recognize irony when reading internet forums.

Edit: Now that I have read this reply, your original post makes a whole lot of sense...

14. TomTango

TomTango Member

I'm looking for a song, a common one, where the chorus is sung by multiple people and goes "tiki-ti, tiki-ti, tiki-ta."

15. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

Triqui-tra by Donato w/ Lita Morales

16. TomTango

TomTango Member

That's it! Thanks!

17. poetas 84

poetas 84 New Member

Could anybody please identify the tittle of this song .The tittle is
    Italia Roma-Milongueando Milonga San Salvador and the address is world wide web plus you plus tube .com/watch?v=sD5WkyRf6b0
    Not enough posts to send the complete address .Sorry for the inconvenience .

18. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

actually there are 2 songs played in the video

unfortunately, I don't know the title of either

19. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Both are Canaro. I've heard the first song before but off hand I can't recall the title. If I locate it I'll post it, hopefully someone else knows???

From around 2:08 is El Adios (Canaro/Maida), but missing the first minute and a half or so.

20. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

I think it's 'Recuerdos de Paris' -