Sore Neck

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Hanmyo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Hanmyo

Hanmyo New Member

When doing smooth frame, I try to lift up my chest and push down my lats and pull in my butt and all of that stuff that my coach tells me to do, but my neck is getting kinda sore. Maybe from leaning back too much? Any advice? I'm not actually leaning back very far. :(

2. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

I'm sure the guys will help you out with this one, but my questions are:

Are you letting your shoulders relax?
    Are you clenching your jaw?

By the way, welcome!

3. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

I find there's a connection between my neck and what I'm doing with my lower back. Of course it all depends on what posture you are starting out with when your coach gave you adjustments to make, but I find that over-tucking my butt can put stress on my neck. I find the right position is more a matter of carrying the weight of my pelvis forward over my feet, rather than trying hard to tuck/rotate it forward.

4. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

I know what you're talking about... It sounds like you're pulling in too hard. Do a couple of shoulder rises. (Pull your shoulders up to your ears and down until your muscles are warmed up. Really squeeze your shoulders upward.) Then let your shoulders relax and gently roll them back for good measure. That relaxed feeling lets you feel how low your shoulders can be without dropping your chest. Then, don't think of pulling in your butt, so much as tucking it in a little. It's not a very big movement, but it takes pressure off the small of the back and all the way up to your neck. (Also, helps you to keep from locking your knees.)

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

dang...seems like i am forever being told to stick my butt out...maybe your hips are too far forward causing a backward lean and neck tension...dunno...but welcome, btw

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I don't think I've ever been asked to stick mine out F - its usually to do the opposite to straighten my back

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, I 'spose it depends upon the initial mistake...I tend to tuck the hips in too far and lean back....at least I used to

8. Hanmyo

Hanmyo New Member

Thank you! I'll try the stuff you guys mentioned with shoulders and butt and such! Hopefully my neck will stop hurting. <3

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Please let us know how it works out. I find I have the same issue--neck gets very very tense and sore, and my lower back as well. Haven't figured out anything that works.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I know IME butt-tucking would take me out of natural alignment and put strain somewhere in my upper body because of loss of counterweight... Am no longer a fan of the butt tuck, heh.

11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, the loss of the counterweight thing tends to hurt my upper body. But without it, my lower back just kills me. And regardless, I feel contorted and can't figure out how I'm supposed to move like that. (What sadist came up with that position, anyway?)

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I hear ya, peach...it can be frustrating to sort out how to pull all the bits & pieces together to both get the job done and feel comfortable.

Am finding that being aligned and balanced always makes the movement easier, and feels so good...the trick is figuring out how to make that happen. Easier said than done when you're moving.

13. BallandChange

BallandChange Member

I guess like everyone else, I have had different instructors come at it from different directions to explain how to develop the right back line for your dance posture. So far the technique that has helped me is the one provided by Marina Tarsneov and that is to imagine a someones fist pushing into the area just above my solar Plex and just below my chest bone. From there I try to relax my shoulders and roll back them over my shoulder blades. I really don't think about tucking my butt in. Once accomplishing that I thnk more about being tall, feeling light and aligning myself over myself (all the blocks of my body are in alignement). Now, if I ever get there, then keeping this position for the next 90 seconds in another matter. Good luck.

14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell what's hurting your neck without actually seeing it. But you might get a sore neck as a result of having your head behind their feet. You may want to check and make sure that your head is always over your feet, and your ribcage is over your toes. This provides more support for the neck and upper body in general.

I've had some neck pain personally sometimes when I'm dancing with a man who isn't stretching very much to his own left (meaning he's too square), and this usually happens in viennese waltz. When I find myself in this situation, I take more of an upright, vertical or "square" position than I normally would, and this tends to protect my neck from pain throughout the dance. I've only had this experience social dancing though, so I do what's necessary to protect myself without correcting the partner. If this were to happen with a regular partner, I would examine both of us to find the problem. Sometimes in a regular partnership it's hard to tell where these issues are originating, so you may have to look at the whole picture rather than just at yourself.

Edit: By the above statement I don't mean to automatically blame your partner. Just don't rule out the possibility. ;P

15. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

swkiggy,

I find I have neck problem only during reverse turns. How about you? Did it happen in both directions of VW?

16. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

It happened to me in both directions.

It's possible to have trouble in the reverse turns from twisting your neck too far left into the turn. It might be helpful to think of dancing your head directly backing diagonal wall when moving backwards in order to avoid the overtwisting.