Sprucing up my Standard gown - sewing questions!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by musicbrain, Sep 18, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's funny because that's exactly how (part of) the skirt on my next gown is designed, only it's not darker, just a different color.
  2. Sania

Sania Active Member

I should have said "contrasting" or "different"

Can't wait to see the dress - do you have any in-process photos?

What kind of fabrics are you using? (dance crepe, mesh, chiffon?)
  3. mindputtee

Not yet, it's in the early planning stages, but there's a design sketch on my blog, and there will be more pictures once it's actually in progress.

Skirts are gonna be layers of chiffon with organza underskirt.
    nikkitta likes this.
  4. Sania

Sania Active Member

I loved the sketch - keep us posted!
  5. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

When adding crinoline trim to a hem, do you just apply it straight or gather it? I've seen tulle hems on some commercially made (non-dance) dresses, and they look like the tulle was gathered before it was applied to the hem.
  6. musicbrain

musicbrain Member

I know it's been a year...but I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with ideas and sewing tips for my dress! It was a great success...my partner and my coaches loved it. Good luck to everyone on your ongoing projects!

std1.jpg
    std5.1.jpg

For anyone who's curious, I followed mindputtee's wonderful diagram for an underskirt - I did two layers of the organza, both attached to the one Lycra layer, with the crinoline trim along the bottom. I also cut a slit in the front and back (slightly offset to the left in the front one) and added a triangle of white fabric with crin trim, plus nikkitta's layered ruffle idea - also with crinoline. And then I took leftover fabric and added white floats to each of the orange ones. Again, thanks so much for all the ideas! You guys are awesome, I love how supportive this forum is.

(ETA: It looks so good it's going to stay on the floor for my first year of prechamp!!)
    Sania, Lioness, dancelvr and 6 others like this.
  7. mindputtee

I'm glad to hear it was helpful! It looks great!
  8. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Great job. Looks fantastic!!
  9. Sandra Rutherford

Sandra Rutherford New Member

Hi Mindputtee
    I was looking at this sketch and I wanted to clarify a point. This is under or over the dress? So far I have been making dresses that have a bathing suit (I call it a bathing suit, full piece) under using Burda 7879 (can be found on http sewing dot patternreview dot com slash patterns slash 16124 with line drawings of the inside etc.) (I have not posted enough to add links) as the basic pattern. I have figured out godets etc. but this pattern has you make a bathing suit then attach the outer part. So what you have shown looks more like the outside not the inside to me. I guess I am a little confused. Can you clarify?
    Thank you so much
    Sandi
  10. mindputtee

This is the inside. This bit is attached to the "bathing suit" (aka body suit) under the outer bodice and topskirt of the dress. It sits under the topskirts then to give them lots of volume from the underneath.
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Do you guys think 6" horsehair is too big to put on the bottom of a skirt? I can choose 6", 4", or 3".
  12. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

hmmm. I'm not sure if I've seen many gowns with 6" horsehair. The one on the left might, but it's hard to tell. The one on the right may be more than 6". Is this a pre-existing gown, or a new one, Lioness? ?Or is this for a Latin dress?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

It'll be for a new one - a standard dress that I want a lot of volume in. Sort of like this, but maybe a little less

[​IMG]

The idea I'm going with is to have a few underskirts, and rainbow ruffles under the black overskirt. I'm modelling it after a dress that someone at my studio has...

[​IMG]
  14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Cool :cool: I love gowns with "surprise" colors in the underskirts.

Well, what gives you the most bang for your buck? If 6" crin is disproportionately more expensive than the others, it's not worth it. Since your intent is to have multiple underlayers, I think that's where most of the volume will come from, and the width of the crin you use is less critical.
  15. Sandra Rutherford

So because I looked so hard for someone online to tell me how to put horsehair on. I thought I would add it here so someone can find it. Perhaps you all have tricks to share or a better way than this picture to sew it on. My only trick I learned on my own is never cut it until you have sewn it all on because it can be stretched back into its shape if it gets caught or pulled somehow.

Sew_Horsehair_on.png
  16. Alexandra Lindsay

Alexandra Lindsay New Member

I love using horsehair braid in the dresses I create. If you do some searching online, you can usually find a great variety in both width and color. you can usually just sew it over the top of a rolled hem without too much trouble.

Additionally, you can get some heavy duty fishing line (use two pieces rather than one) and pull it through the hem. that will give a nice, fuller effect as well.

Hope this helps!
  17. Sandra Rutherford

I am working on a dress now that will look something like this (not me) and I have some questions about the hem and sewing the skirt onto the bodice. I think it would be easier just to do a rolled hem on the 3 layers but I am wondering if the volume will be okay. The material on the top layer is a heavier satin (champagne color not red). I am also wondering if the all the skirts will be too heavy for the bodice. The bodice is made of a 2 way stretch gold thread mesh. I just love the combination but the mesh runs and has been hard to work with. I will be adding the satin top layer color to the bodice using 2 sided iron on Pellon. Do you think I should attach the skirt to the body suit too?

Attached Files:

• Anna.jpg
      Anna.jpg
      File size:
      156.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Sandra Rutherford

Oh and Alexandra I wasn't sure how to join the 2 ends of the fishing line if I go this route?
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Lap joint.
  20. mindputtee

If the bodice fabric is delicate, yes I'd attach the skirt to the bodysuit too. There is a high probability that at some point you or someone else will step on your skirt in the first month of wearing it and it would be an utter shame to have it completely destroyed by tearing through the fabric.