Sprucing up my Standard gown - sewing questions!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by musicbrain, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

More questions! I am terribly unqualified to be sewing complicated costumes...

Is stretch satin ok for an all-round top layer? So bodice and skirt? Will it stretch enough to look good over the bodysuit?

2. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Depends on the amount of stretch the stretch satin has. Leos generally have 75 percent stretch along the major direction as a bare minimum, ie you can almost double its length by pulling. The stretch satin probably only has two way stretch so it's unlikely to stretch along the length of your body if that's something you're looking for.

3. Sania

Sania Active Member

Also bear in mind that shiny fabrics show much more of what is underneath than matte fabrics - for example leotard seams, etc.

4. Sandra Rutherford

Sandra Rutherford New Member

Here is the finished dress. And the one I made for my daughter (she put the feathers on and the rhinestones. Nat_winterball.jpg

Sandi_winterball 2014-1.JPG

Ailuene and Miss Silly like this.
  5. Sandra Rutherford

My next question is do I put a backing onto something with a lot of stones. An example is in the picture. For example if it is one layer of spandex with a zipper. Or two layers?

Bodice1.jpg

6. Sandra Rutherford

I am still not sure what a "lap joint" is unless it is just an overlap?
    Thanks

7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm curious to see what others say, but i've examined a few of my dresses and i've seen it both ways. Sometimes i wonder if it depends (at times) how much glue goes through the fabric on stone application. My personal inclination would likely be two layers. It seems to give it a bit more stability/structure, and then as well, is more comfortable if a lot of glue & roughness gets through the single-layer that the stones are attached to.

It may depend on the actual construction of the garment too?

8. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

what kind of feathers did you use for this and where did you get them, if you don't mind me asking? I've been trying to find a source for loose/individual ostrich feathers but no luck so far.

9. Sandra Rutherford

These feathers are from Joann's Fabric. They came in a package called Zucker Feather Products. www dot zuckerfeather dot com It doesn't say what type of feathers they are, but I think they are rooster. We tried goose and duck but they were not royal blue and the quills were kind of big. I think it was about 10-14 packages which were under $3.00 a bag.

The dress has 3 layers. Top layer is tulle (sparkle but that was a pain), then some sort of shiny lining like material, then crinoline attached to the underskirt the way MindPuttee said above. The tulle and shiny material were attached to the outer layer.

We found the best way to put the feathers on was to start at the hem, poke it up into the tulle toward the back then poke it back to the front so a little bit of tulle is across the quill. Put a row on then a dab of glue on each feather then wait for it to dry then put the next layer on. It took her about 4-5 4 hour slots of time.

It really was beautiful and I think only 1 feather came off in the competition after 15 dances!

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

OK technically it's a half lap splice.

11. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

thanks for the info - the dress looks fantastic in the pic, nice job!

12. Lioness

I've pretty much finished my dress!! Just gotta do domr more stoning in hyacinth AB and do some floats/armbands.

image.jpg

musicbrain likes this.
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

:dancingbanana:
    p.s. your mannequin needs bigger boobs! Can you put one of your bras on her?

Lioness likes this.
  14. Sandra Rutherford

I am not sure which post you are referring to Nikkitta?

15. nikkitta

Sorry! Lioness' mannequin. I know she's more well endowed than it is.

16. Lioness

Haha she's definitely a bit flat compared to me. Sometimes I put a bra on her but if I'm just stoning or something I don't bother.

17. nikkitta

Any hints on making what I'm gonna call "shreddy floats"?
    They're not spiral, and they're not quite straight. I'm guessing the lack of complete flatness is due to whatever is edging them.
    shreddyfloats2.jpg

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

They're probably cut on the bias and then the edges are serged while stretching it.

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

What she said. I believe the technique is analogous to a "lettuce leaf edge" if you're Googling / Youtubing key phrases (it also might just be that technique on slightly stiffer fabric).

20. nikkitta

I've also seen shreddy floats made of what looks like lightweight fabric. I wonder if the effect would work on wide sheer ribbon. That would not be on the bias though. Hmmmm.