Stamina Gyrotonic® Transformer 2500

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by canismajor41, Jan 6, 2009.

1. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

I was wondering if anyone has tried this product. I recall in another thread that some of the Ballroom DF members are fans of Gyrokenesis, so I thought this would be a good group to ask.

There are plenty of reviews for the 1000 and 1500 model which cost under $400. This model retails for around $1800 but for the life of me I cannot find any reviews online.
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I can try passing it on to one of the people I take the instruction with and see what they think. I'm not sure how "total" it is because where I go they have 5 different machines. When I look at a picture of the one you are referring to, I'm not sure how you would move the handle parts out of the way on the lower portion to do some of the movements you do with your legs using the pulleys. I'm guessing there is a way...

The other thing is -- with respect to the front part where the handles are, the machine I use for the upper back/chest work has those handles up at a higher level. So you are seated on a bench and you raise your arms to those handles and do a circular motion, arching your back and then curving your back. Unless those handles on that contraption can be placed higher, I'm not sure how you would do it. But...if I was going to buy that, I think I'd want to see a demo first.

Let us know what you find out!
  3. canismajor41

Thanks for that information. It would be nice to see a demo. I'll keep searching...perhaps some local sporting good stores carry this product.
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

Oh yeah, that's what they call the "home version" of the Tower. There's one sitting in the studio I train at, but no one uses it.
  5. katandmouse

katandmouse New Member

I'm not surprised they don't use it when they have the real thing. I wonder if you can get one of the instructors to review it. Not sure how unbiased they can be. If everyone got one of these, then they'd lose students. Or can you try it out?

Is this at Reformation by any chance?
  6. canismajor41

Laura - Just wondering if it sitting in a dance studio or a pilates/gyro studio unused.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

I train at a major gyrotonic-only studio where there are master trainers who train other trainers.
  8. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

It is at my gyrotonic studio also. I like it for legs - very fluid - but really dislike the upper body position those handles put you in. However, I must say that the trainers do use it with their clients. I didn't realize there were so many people on this forum who do gyrotonics, that is nice to find out. I have been going for 20 years and I credit gyrotonics for giving me the flexibility to still be able to dance.
  9. mamboqueen

Wow...you kept this secret from us for how many years now, gb??! :) Can you share what has changed for you since you started and what it has done for your body? And how many different machines do you use?
  10. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I don't know if I can do it justice. Years ago, when I began having back trouble, I convinced Juliu Horvath, the founder and creator of the system (he built the origional machines by hand; now they are factory produced, but he still certifies every teacher) to work with me one on one. He emphasized breathing and thinking about your bones moving through water, concepts that I find most trainers don't do anymore. They seem more into the exercise part rather than the mind part. Nonetheless, it is a system that is wholesome, pleasurable, pretty much painless, that increases flexibility through understanding that all movement comes from the core... everything essential for a dancer. Take the use of arms. Doing the arch and curl, figure 8s, pot stirrer or whatever you call the different upper body exercises, you learn how arm movement comes from the back, how all movement in one part of the body is related to the other, and especially, how all movement is circular. Gyrtonics is based on kundilini yoga. I was told that it is a system that releases sexual energy. I can't say I feel that, but it certainly is sensual if you do it that way rather than as a muscle exercise, which it should never be.
    Anyway, of course I am 20 years older now and can't dance the way I used to, but I still compete, and dance still gives me enormous pleasure. I do gyroptonic workouts by myself 3 times a week and work with a trainer once a week. Working with a trainer is much, much better, but I save money doing it by myself.
  11. mamboqueen

Thanks for that info. And yes, my instructor has talked about where the movement is supposed to emanate from. It's great...you learn to isolate the proper muscles. It definitely crosses right over to dancing. Never heard the sexual energy part, but I'd be willing to be Samina knows all about it ;). I am anxiously awaiting for my instructor to return from his vacation so I can start back up. To me, I have never felt better than when I have finished a session. Even a massage doesn't make me feel as good.
  12. canismajor41

Just reporting back to let everyone know that this machine is discontinued and the manufacturer is not making any more. Even 2 websites that list it for sale, do not have them in stock. There is a model currently available (I think 1000 or 1500) at a much lower price, but the base doesn't separate from the tower and so the number of exercises one can do with the machine are limited.

I'm waiting a call back from Stamina to see if/when a similar model will be coming out for those who are interested.
  13. canismajor41

Stamina Products, the manufacturer of this product has informed me that they are not making any more 2500 models or any new/similar models (one where the bench separates from the tower).
  14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

I am not a dancer, I ride horses (dressage specifically) and have just bought a Gyrotonics 1000.

I have the boxing attachment and it's video is by far the best one of the three videos I've gotten.

My question is - does anyone have the wall chart from Stamina? Everytime I call them they are out of stock.

I've used the machine a few times and I like it, but the company needs to have better instructional vids.

Thanks!
  15. canismajor41

Boomer - many people who reviewed the 1000 model online, wrote the same thing...either that they had difficulty getting the videos or that they were only available in VHS. Good luck finding the wall chart!
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

can't believe i missed this post, LOL.

i recognized the connection of gyro with kundalini yoga right away, as kundalini yoga is my fave of all the varieties i've practiced over the years. i resonated immediately with the shared breathing aspect (as i'm also big into Ian Jackson's Breathplay techniques).

as for sexual energy...i would bet that gyro is better at releasing it than kundalini yoga. which says a lot. heh. :cool:

i am in love with gyro...i do plan on becoming certified as a trainer. it's a planned activity for 2009!
  17. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Good for you, getting certified. I'm impressed.