steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

currently:

any sit break....hate just hanging out there with my butt sticking out
    shoulder taps in swing...just goofy
    chicken walks...pro says they look good on me...I feel like a moron doing them
    anything in shadow....am having a rough time not leaning back...look like a beached whale with her shoulders pinned back

check spins...i look lost...

closing my fan...I am so not okay with that whole thing...please don't look at me

uh...all of samba (getting better but mainly stink mud)

that's a good enough start for now

2. fascination

oh...and I hate bobby's break in the mambo as well

3. BM

BM New Member

Any heel turns. I lack balance/control/any hint of grace whatsoever to get through those without having to avoid a serious face- or derriére-plant. ::sighs::

And yeah, I look like I'm trying way to hard with my fan. And when I'm not evidently trying to hard I'm too light on my feet. ::sighs again::

4. fascination

heel turns and spin turns would have been tied for first in the hate dept about a year ago...my sympathies

5. BM

BM New Member

My double reverse is almost presentable, interestingly enough. I guess it's because I loathed it so much when I learned it that I figured I'd try to get the last laugh by mastering it. I certainly haven't mastered it, but at least I don't fear for my life every time I execute it, now. :)

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Ditto on the chicken walks - they look snotty.

Follow my leader, turkish towel, rope spinning in Cha Cha, hand to hand, reverse top ... there are a lot of boring school figures in Cha Cha.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm realizing I don't have much a step preference--I either like or dislike dances, and will take or leave everything in them based on that.

Hate:
    Those STUPID open fan thingies in am tango. Just...so...stupid, and dorky, and STUPID!!!

Standard. QS is an exception. Tango is a possible exception, but it just seems so...sterile...compared to AT. And fake! (Look at me! I'm being passionate!!!)

Smooth b/c of arm lines.

Rhythm b/c of well...it's rhythm. Swing is an exception. But I hate shoulder taps and hip checks.

Only marginally familiar with latin--hate (refuse to dance) samba.

8. fascination

understand...had that w/ spin turns...consider it a small blessing that I never hated the dbl reverse

9. fascination

lordie peaches...I fear you are even more obstinate than I

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nah. Just had a pure AT lesson this afternoon, and it was wonderful. I experienced the pure joy of dancing that I don't get from any ballroom lesson anymore. I even love the lessons. It just felt so...good, and I'm really left wondering why, exactly, I even care or want to work on ballroom. I can follow enough for social dancing. There's nothing in ballroom that can compare to my love of AT, and I'm really left reconsidering.

11. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

OMG! I cant believe it. I have finally found a few people who hate those god awful shoulder taps in swing. Every time I express my disgust- the person I'm dancing with looks at me puzzled and says "oh this move can be really cool"

as for other steps-
    The Telespin-getting easier by the day (or by the lesson) but quite a headache.
    The chase from Tango- Lets just do two chases to make it harder...
    The Traveling Hover Cross- the name says it all

Samba is the only dance that has caused me to leave a party in tears. That was years ago but it is the bane of my existence to this day.

12. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Didn't realize so many women don't like shoulder taps.

13. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Shoulder taps are just so silly. Like I forgot where you were so you had to tap me on the shoulder? The only time I like them is when I do them with my husband, we get into a battle of who can "tap" the hardest. I always win, because he won't hit a girl that hard, haha!

14. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

The whisk in waltz - I really do... not... like... it... I like all the other steps in standard (my discipline) well enough. There are some I like more than others (developes are a favorite; telespin is something I am still trying to master; love the feather and the 1-2-3 of a natural) but the whisk holds a special place in my heart as the one I dislike the most right now... I constantly try to come up with ways to extract it from our choreography, much to my partner's chagrin...

15. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

For the ladies out there, just hope that your lead doesn't do the turkish towel for the whole song. Or even worse, how funny would it be to lead into kicks at the very beginning of a swing song, and just carry it through until the end of the dance?

Anyone ever had an experience like that?

16. marktheshark

marktheshark New Member

The rumba box step in American style rumba. Never liked it but really started to hate it when I was introduced to the International style basic.

Follow my lead, outside partner checks, double crossovers, three cha chas in American style cha cha. Abominations of steps, in my book. Turkish towel in International style cha cha, so cheesy...

The fan in American style tango, mainly because I'm crap at it.

The marscha in American style samba... What the hell is a merengue step doing in samba?

17. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

such hostility directed at the dancefloor. just smile and have fun :)

18. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Well, I entered a (hustle) Jack & Jill for fun once (follow) and did exactly one move the entire song - a time step. After I stopped waiting for another to come along, I started playing with some arm styling. Ho hum. Couldn't fool around beyond that 'cause it would have messed up my poor leader. I just wished my back hadn't been to the other couples so I could have watched them.

Also spent an entire song doing samba walks. Not good, comfortable walks either. But, boy, did we cover some ground. Yikes.

19. fascination

because some things are worth the delayed gratification

20. fascination

try thinking of it as a lock that turns...then leave your butt ot a bit on the three and send your stepping leg a bit left of straight fwd...(just a thought from a former whisk hater...may be completely irrelevant to your own personal reasons for hating it)