steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh...that reminds me...multiple peek a boos...just not that cute okay?

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a bobby spin...sheesh...I'm embarrassed!

I think I love just about any mambo step there is, although I'm not crazy about New Yorkers in mambo because they're so fast, it's hard to make them look really good (well, for moi anyway).

Not crazy about chicken walks because I just don't do them well -- I do like the concept, tho.

Don't like corta jacas, although had them forced upon me a few weeks back in an attempt to get me to like them (put me in the obstinate club).

Not crazy about "stop 'n go" in jive...because I whacked my former teacher in the nose, not once, but twice, during one dance at a comp. So, it's now my "fear" move.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's pretty funny about the shoulder taps. i don't think i've ever once danced them without thinking "what the sam hell sorta move is this, anyway?" figured i had to be doing them wrong if they seemed so silly.

turns out... they're just silly!

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Hah! (Good morning!). I agree. Shoulder taps are a little goofy.

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i haven't heard of a lot of the steps mentioned here... <newb alert>

not "hating" anything right now, but i definitely ceased all enjoyment of rhumba lessons last summer due to critical balance issues.

am feeling ready to start tackling the hip twist, fan, and alemana now. it was torturous trying to do those, previously

6. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Never lead it. That's one fortunate thing about being a leader. I don't lead figures that I don't like : )

7. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Now, if only I could figure out a way to not follow figures I don't like. :lol:

8. Josh

Josh Active Member

Heh, many girls already do this, intentionally or unintentionally... oops gotta go
    :car:

9. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I've read somewhere on these boards that international tango is like having been married for 10 years and staying together just for kids sake. I don't see it as passionate, but it is powerful and intense.

10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I hate merengue - everything about it. Salsa, too. I don't like chicken walks (look stupid), kicks (only because I kicked a few people) in swing. I sometimes don't like botafogas (sp?) in samba (I was taught several ways to do them, I don't like the one that's dominant around here). And I really don't like it when I am lead to do fwd-fwd-side-together 3-4 times in a row during foxtrots. That is SO boring.

11. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

I don't understand how easily people get bored with some of these dances. A lot of non-dancers take great pleasure in simply listening to the music. You get to dance to it as well!

I'm also really confused by all the anti-merengue sentiment I've seen (both in this forum and among my dancing friends). Why do so many people dislike it? Granted, merengue is not my favorite style, but it's so easy and so sexy-looking when done correctly.

12. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

corta jaca...I think that's about the only step I completely despise... probably because I've never seen it done by anyone who makes it look good, or like it belong in the dance...

13. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

what's chicken walk?
    what's a shoulder tap?

14. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Chicken Walks -- also known by the name "sugarfoot swivels" I beleive. Sort of a straight legged swiveling forward walk for the lady, normally with the gent doing merengue walks backward. Often highly sylized with the lady "leaning" rather far back, sometimes becoming more "flick" like in place without progressing

Shoulder tap -- change to a right-right hand hold; then using chasses first one partner "closes" to the others back to tap them on the shoulder, then the other partner closes around, etc

15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I don't like it either. Here is why... In general, girls don't listen to music. Even if they get the rhythm of the music, they don't pay active attention to it. for eg, they can tell 1 and 5 in salsa, but beyond that is rare. In merengue, you've got to pay active attention to music and pacing to keep the dance interesting for the leader. you can't finish your turn in 2 beats and stare at me like a monkey wanting another banana... and most girls do that... so i hate merengue, unless i dance it with a friend or a very playful spirit who is willing to listen to music actively... also, since i don't dance it often for aforementioned reasons, i'm not too good at it. So I just use merengue time for water break ;)

16. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

this is hopeless.. i'll ask someone to show me what these are next time i'm in a ballroom. i've gotta broaden my horizons and learn more dances.. or just learn more names and words about dances for starters ;) then i can simply sound more knowledgible that i really am and noone will know :rolleyes:

17. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

Fleckerls- I'll get them one day- for now my brain farts when going out of a contracheck and into the other direction- argh

18. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

Haha, I love that. I know exactly what you mean. Maybe I don't have that problem as much because most of the people I've danced merengue with have been people from my dance class. Also, there's a large latin-american community in my area, so most of the people dancing merengue on the dance floor have heard the music before and know how to listen to it.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

gonna have to ask pro what a corta jaca is...

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not me. For lots of reasons, the least of which being that if I ask, I'm likely to get shown. Based on the informal poll here on D-F, odds are that there's no way in hell I'll like it. Best let sleeping dogs lie, ya know?