steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

currently all of cha cha ;)
  2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Sometimes I feel the same way, DancinDrea!
  3. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Mooch in jive. Nearly everyone looks ridiculous doing it, especially beginners. I refuse to dance it or teach it... :)
  4. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm not familiar with it. I'll have to check online--as you got me intrigued! :p
  5. Br0nze

Br0nze Member

The Mooch can be carried off with class. I've seen it done... haven't done it (yet) though.

I am currently at a war with my English Waltz. Every figure feels overwhelming, even something as "simple" as the Natural Turn because my steps aren't nearly as wide as my Coach would like them to be/says they're supposed to be. I am also at war with the Slow Foxtrot. I don't hate it, but I don't love it as much as I thought I would....

I used to hate Samba but now that I am getting better at it, even if a little bit, it's very enjoyable. Although the Stationary Samba Walks bother me to no end.
  6. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Voltas. They're so darn hard to make not look silly.
  7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

You are NOT kidding. Am I going sideways on a skateboard, or what?!!! *lol*
  8. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Mine look like I'm hopping around...eek
  9. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

You're right...those shoulder taps look silly but some guys lead it, so I gotta go with the program. :tongue:
  10. Piggles

Piggles Member

11. Josh

Josh Active Member

I love the mooch! But that should not be posted in this thread... oops :)

Regarding the shoulder taps ("continuous tuck in turn?") in swing, the jive version is called "Chugging" and does not feature the tapping of the shoulder when I have seen it done.

Steps I hate--the four step in tango. I don't hate it, it's just given me so much trouble.
  12. Steps You Really Dislike

For all you samba lovers out there, if you've learned the full bronze section of the syllabus or most of it, [or in some cases, just some of it], you've done Corte Jacas. One of my weekly dance classes is samba and we do them. And i just HATE doing them! I don't know why, and it's not because i can't get the step, don't start. If i can't get a step, I keep working on it. I just think it's an ugly step. It looks strange when you do it, plus I dislike the heel pull. If done wrong, you can really damage yourself. I almost sprained my ankle like fifty times trying it. So moral of the story: Corte Jacas stink.

Who agrees/disagrees? What's your least favorite step? [in any dance, not just samba]
  13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Welcome to Dance Forums, iROCKtheDANCEFLOORxx. :)
  14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Are you by chance a follow? Because my dance pro noted, all women seem to hate corte jacas, at least at first. I don't hate them so much as fear the sensation of being on the heel. It's not by any stretch the silliest-looking samba step, but it's the one where I feel most likely to snap an ankle.
  15. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I reaaally used to hate the Corte Jacas...Now I'm moving towards a relationship of mutual understanding.

I still don't really like them in Bronze...but I've seen variations done in Open that more pleasing. They still aren't quite in the love camp though!!

And I think you're right about most follows hating them in the beginning!
  16. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

what do you actually dance, it seems that you hate all 4 styles
  17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

She's an AT girl. All the way. :)
  18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, I am now. At the time I thought I wanted to do both AT and BR.

As for "what i actually dance"...well, I'd dance most of whatever I was asked to dance to...I just didn't actually always like it. I liked the idea of smooth and standard, but any sort of breaking apart and styling (smooth) just didn't match so well with my hide-in-a-corner personality. And standard just kicked my [butt]. Rhythm and latin--fun (exception: samba), but just so not comfortable with the sexy/flirty/hip stuff which makes up a large part of it. Again, it just doesn't go well with trying to hide in a corner at the same time.

I suppose, looking back at my post (talk about dredging up old posts!), it's not terribly surprising that I took to AT. It's the smallest, least noticable I can possibly make myself on the floor, while still dancing. And I can kind of hide my face into my leader and close my eyes and pretend that there's no one around. :)
  19. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

One day someone will lock you in a round room. Then what will you do?

OT: I hate all steps that turn left.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

have been spared corte jacas for now b/c pro had recent students who were more advanced than I and thiers looked like crap so he took them out of his routines...I am so very grateful to them for this...I have often thought that this sort of thing should be used in the future for all such annoying steps