steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Tough call...two competing therories: either pick a spot directly opposite from the door, or just to the side of the door (on the hinge side, but far enough away not to get hit). Since you asked. :p:D

2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF IROCKtheDANCEFLOORxx!

As for corte jacas...have you ever tried them in shadow position? Even more opportunities to inflict damage. LOL...'nuf said.

3. Andreth

Andreth Member

Oh, this is a good thread!

I currently hate the following, from my standard routines since that's what I'm mostly doing:

Waltz: Double reverse spin out of wing; I like both steps independently but not in that order, I always feel like I can't get the direction of the dr spin right and still end up where I need to be if I start in wrong side with that wing shaping.

Tango: Reverse out-side swivel, no question! Can not do it quick enough or sharp enough without completely over rotating my upper body...

Foxtrot: Outside swivel, because I always feel the lead too late and then over rotate my upper body too much. Also three step...I just can't get the alignment to stay correct while shaping, and I always get in front of my partner.

Quickstep: Currently fishtail; I just bob out of it at the wrong time, too early or too late; having a really hard time following the shaping to time it right. I ALWAYS miss the heel turn in the running right turn unless I absolutely calculate that it's coming. It's a fun step though...but I kind of dread it now.

4. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

currently hate:chasse cape in paso.....I don't even know why i hate it but I just do...it's awkward to dance..

5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

We spent pretty much a whole lesson working on our whisk and wing in Waltz, so I'm not too happy with them at the moment.

6. Yana

Yana Member

Hate spins! I have yet to find my balance and it makes me nauseous.
    Also, I don't like certain hip action in Latin, because for whatever reason my hips don't move in those ways and I just look awkward :roll:

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Maybe I mentioned this earlier?

To be honest I'm really not a big fan of the chase flirtation move in Cha Cha, but feel it wouldn't be a Cha Cha without it so I use it.

8. gracie

gracie Active Member

Smooth Foxtrot grapevines in shadow. I need arm styling!

9. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Seems a lot of this is more steps people are currently having trouble with. ;-)
    Particular figures? I could do without "There and Back" in Int Cha cha.
    More generally in ballroom, Jive and Paso don't do anything for me.
    Still more broadly, I have yet to see anyone dance bachata in a way that looked any better than comical to me, including supposed champions on youtube.

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Maybe its a three beer dance?

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lolz...yes, if I stink at it I generally hate doing it...however, there are exceptions...there are things that I now do competantly that I still hate....shoulder taps and chicken walks as a prime example

12. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Having trouble with the step during 0:40-0:44 ... and i cant remember what they are called to save my life!!! can someone jog my memory??? and any advice to make them not look like i have a spider on my hips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJcPu5Wxrk

13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Me too hate shoulder taps...
    Also beginning to hate a lot turning grapevines in foxtrot.

14. Josh

Josh Active Member

Bachacata...

15. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

currently anything jive. gahh

16. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

Interesting description!! I wish you had posted a video of you doing them (although you can't ever really tire of watching Yulia do them) ;) I'm not sure what exactly they'd look like with a spider on your hips but maybe (I *think* you're a follower right?) try thinking more about the angle/cross of your legs than the shaking of the hips...not sure if that will solve the spider problem you have but it's always helped me to think of the different points of emphasis (especially as a girl since you really have some options)

17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU!!! this was driving me crazy!! for some reason i kept thinking something like barak-acha... i knew it was wrong, but google isnt exactly proficient in reading minds yet. :rolleyes:

Thanks Meagan! lol... what i meant was that it looks like i just realized there is a spider on my hips and i am trying to get it off... lol

But thanks for the advice - i am going to have to try that today. i'll let you know how it works! i have bachacatas in both of my new cha cha and samba routines, and they are currently the bane of my existence. :headwall:
    If i get a video of it i will show you - both for amusement and feedback! lol

18. fascination

yes my friends, it's that time again

right now;

(as mentioned in other threads) pivots and anything coming out of a standing spin because I am a control freak and even though I know how to syncopate if I am on the wrong foot, I still can't seem to manage it w/ pro and the music...alone and slowly always works fine

am also not cranked up about anything involving a fenceline at the moment as I love to lift my left shoulder and fail to grow through the line ....gah...

if I started a new thread for everything I am stinking at right now the entire first page of ballroom would look like the "fascination charity dance advice" page.... :(

19. fascination

oh...and let's just add rondes while we are at it...I totally stink at turning in my standing foot and keeping my heel up and using the proper long side of my back...grumble...at least I know why I stink at it...that is a first step :)

20. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Member

Double reverse. I have had a lot of trouble getting those damn things! In fact, on probably my WORST practice day ever was the day we decided to video tape, and now looking back and those tapes and seeing HOW pissed off I was it's pretty amusing. :)