steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am just starting silver rhythm and there are alot of double spins/turns, spirals etc. Its not that I hate them... it is just that for right now, they are hard to do! Other than the obvious spotting when you turn, any tips from you out there who are good at spins and turns? I always start fine, but end wobbly.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

stay over your axis...shoulder hip and foot in alignment, while staying grounded think of the spin as up and not about the direction you are going to next...

3. fascination

ie...do not step until the turn is complete

4. LenaB

LenaB New Member

+1..

5. Andreth

Andreth Member

I have some for each standard dance right now...
    Waltz: Backlock...it just messes up the flow of things. Doing a double-reverse out of wing, I can never get my direction straight.

Tango: Easily the reverse outside swivel; I always overturn it and fall away from my partner, though it's gotten better lately. Also rocks, they look kind of goofy and pointless to me. Oh, and brush tap. I cannot truly follow this step and I always figure it out only after the guy has kicked me.

Viennese: Getting out of fleckrolls.

Foxtrot: Outside swivel again, for the same reasons as tango. Also 3 step is really tough for me to keep aligned properly.

Quickstep: Fishtail of doom! My pro puts so much shape into this and it's a real struggle for me to keep my balance and complete that shape at the same time.

6. fascination

with you on hatred for outside swivel...

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Did anybody besides me notice that the steps you hate thread has four times as many responses as the steps you love thread? I wonder why. :mrgreen:

8. Andreth

Andreth Member

Yay...I'm not the only one! I sort of dread it now, when I know it's coming...wondering if I'll make it out on balance or not.

9. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Cha cha: Front cuban breaks and time steps because I can't seem to do it in a cheeky and sexy manner.

Jive: Flicks and kicks. I've gotta really work on this one because I look 'heavy' doing it.

Samba: Samba roll/reverse roll. I love it because it feels great but hate it because it's difficult to get it right. Love-hate relationship.

Paso: Not really a fan of this dance so yeah, don't like anything about it.

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yep, the paso is a whole different ballgame. Can't say that I don't like doing it, but there is something about it that just doesn't feel like dancing to me. When does one ever listen to the radio and say "wow, I'd love to do a paso to that!". That being said, when I see the pros or open gold dancers do paso I think it looks fabulous.

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I LOOOOOVE cuban breaks and time steps. And the flicks and kicks in jive.

12. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

I hate wings and hover crosses (leaving man's right side freaks me out) and Paso's separation (I feel completely stupid doing this step)

13. SQ_F05

SQ_F05 New Member

Completely agree. :p

14. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Samba bota fogos. I prefer the paso or waltz versions. It's like I just can't get the hip action right, Slavik.

15. DanceLightly

DanceLightly New Member

Syncopated Separation is much more fun - don't give up on the step just yet :)

16. fascination

hover corte anyone?...loathe...

i am all about picture lines...love me some contracheck...but that hover corte just ...blech...having trouble dancing into it and out of it...looks more like: clunk...epic fail...me trying not to look tense and accomplish that up and over deal...and yet...not so much....grumble grumble brumble

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

ronde's... have had it explained to me over and over, and I just don't get what I should do to make it look good.

18. anametuer

anametuer Member

The villain in Cha cha, Hockey Stick; falling short of technical expectations even with some higher level class buddies … ;)

19. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Absolutely HATING the double reverse spin turn twist, whatever it is called. My first exposure was Sunday in my lesson. This whole heel pull, heel turn, heel anything is so not cool. I can't even do that in a flat shoe without trying to "dance", much less in time to the music, in hold, with partner, and not go crashing into him or being left way behind because I couldn't rotate enough to do my cross. Either that or do all of the steps but end up about 180 degress shy of where I'm supposed to end. And 2 in a row? This is madness...

20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Practice it enough, and you'll find yourself tossing your weight back into a heel turn just to turn around in a normal everyday setting. I feel like such a dork when I notice I've done that.