steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Thanks dbk. I'm trying not to get frustrated. But I have asked my pro on several occasions if we can just skip that step for now and move on. I have done searches on DF for helpful tips, etc on how this step should be done, but honestly, I think I'm more confused after reading everyone's suggestions. Some say toes up, some say toes should skim the floor, some say turn with weight on the heel, others say the weight isn't actually on the heel, and on and on. Huh? What? So how do I do this step?

Still very confused. I don't feel any closer to mastering it. And I still hate the heel turn with a passion :headwall:
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

IMV, as with most things, it is the step before that action that you find difficult that likely has to be done better in order to do the turn well...most of the time people are so freaked about the heel turn it self that they don't take a bold step into it which is what creates the momentum for the turn...in essence, in order to do it well, you have to do it like you already do it well...take a good step and let your body move, then the rest of it (extensive details of which you can find in other threads) will be much more likely to happen....
  3. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

rumba: sliding doors: I can't get the half cucuracha when I come in front. I just need to work on my technique but I'm just not there yet...
  4. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

HEEL TURNS! With a passion. The whole one foot closing on a heel and one on the toes just confuses me every time...and don't even get me started on attempting to know when I am going to be lead into one..AH!

I have a grand final comp coming up at my dance school and somehow managed to get into the latin and ballroom sections even though I've only been dancing ballroom/latin since may.

I have to do 14 dances and have had to learn what feels like a million steps in the last couple of months for it. My list of steps I don't like is giant at the moment, plus any dance ending in 'ba' or the slow foxtrot...although thats mainly because of the heel turns...

Oh and the bachata! How awkward is that dance??!
  5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I am your fan, period!
  6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Crusada walks. I feel like a demented praying mantis. I can't even imagine what I look like...
  7. Aura

Aura Active Member

I heavily dislike Two-Step, and it doesn't really help that I live in the South. It's even worse when my teachers tease me by saying, "Aww, why don't you like Two-Step? You're not bad at it!" :rolleyes:

I'm not the biggest fan of any dip, but I absolutely despise the agonizingly slow around-the-world dip, which is why my DP always tries to lead me into them. :roll:

I'm not completely sure this is a school figure, but my teachers always like to hip-bump me whenever I'm dancing EC Swing. It's just...awkward.
  8. fascination

this made me laugh
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

This is so true. The first (and so far the only) big argument between me and my pro dealt with this very issue in VW. My second step was not getting where it needed to go and he kept insisting that it was because my first step was not done correctly. The actual argument stemmed from a misunderstanding of wording rather than a disagreement about what he said, but ultimately, lesson learned (by me). I fixed my first step in VW and the second is a piece of cake now. I will apply this again to my heel turn issues. Thanks for the reminder :)
  10. fascination

you are welcome
  11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

After thinking more about the title of this thread, my 2c is that it's a bad idea to develop the "ugh, I hate ..." attitude towards the steps you need to master. It makes it harder to improve. At the moment, fleckerels in VW and scatters and runs in Q do not showcase my dancing at its best, hence we're not rolling them out on a competition floor just yet (hopefully by St. Louis Starball). But I think if I publicly declare that I hate them, it will only impede my progress with them.

That said, I dislike any moves which put me into the hammerlock hold (when my arm is almost twisted behind my back), often done in swing, chacha and other street-influenced dances. It's an awkward position to be in.
  12. fascination

meh...i now love and execute well many of the steps I formerly declared hatred for on this thread...it's cathartic
  13. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Bwahahahahahahaha! :p
  14. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

+1! :d
  15. fascination

still not a fan of rope spin, though it is better

currently still finding hover corte to be an epic fail for me
  16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

why oh why do they insist on giving me corte jacas in my samba routines..... :confused:
  17. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

for me, a big top.

it doesn't make me feel big. and the only kind of top i resemble is one that is falling.
  18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I despise the hover cross in foxtrot. I love foxtrot, just that stupid move! And I'm starting to hate the same food lunge... I just feel so weird in that position.
  19. fascination

I have finally stopped hating the hover cross.....my sympathies...it took a long time
  20. vit

vit Active Member

Changing a coach usually helps to overcome these problems :) at least it always did for me