steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oh good lord, I'd be changing every week:oops:

stash likes this.
  2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Fencing. I swear there is no way to make that step look not stupid.

3. Savannah

Savannah New Member

Heel Turns for sure... Can't stand them. I fall every time! :p Also corta jacas... I'm sorry but the foot sticking up like that is not attractive and i can never balance correctly with those. I also dislike majority of jive steps... that whole dance in itself is just a struggle. I dislike the american rumba box step. No idea why but it just drives me crazy. Spirals kill me, I just cant.

4. vit

vit Active Member

I actually can't connect that figure with anything latin. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks just like a figure chair from standard, danced in rumba

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Taking it out of our routine also solved the problem :p I think the hover cross is the only move that we have completely dismissed. Maybe we will revisit it one day, but not anytime soon.

I hated the outside spin as well, but I think (crosses fingers) that got solved today.

6. frotes

frotes Member

Cortes.. I can't get it down reliability and also at socials most partners I have will throw me off so I tend to avoid the step.

7. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Hover Corte in Waltz. I will maintain my balance while leading it some day. Some day.

8. vit

vit Active Member

Well, you can also go that way ... However, I would say Hover cross is one of essential figures and is worth learning good for several reasons, so if it doesn't click with you coach, I suggest trying a private with some other to learn it (you don't have to change a coach because of one figure, of course).

Outside spin is also among figures I personally like, but I never see it danced on competitions, so I wouldn't mind omitting it. The same with some other figures that look like they became a part of a particular dance by mistake, for instance fencing ...

9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

We had it in our foxtrot routine that was given to us by someone other than our coach at the time. He was a friend and a great dancer, but didn't spend a whole lot of time teaching the routine to us and kinda just threw it together. I guess in reality we didn't take it out ourselves. Our coach gave us a completely different routine to work with when we moved up to gold and it just didn't include the hover cross.

If our current coaches decided to give it to us, or any other left side position then we will gladly take it on. At the time it just didn't seem essential to have it.

10. fascination

it has taken me three years to stop hating it

11. fascination

currently; not thrilled with spirals, left whisk or hover corte...but only because of my lack of skill

12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

rope spinning... when I do it well it is my favorite step... when I mess it up it looks the most awkward. I am going to do spirals every day from now on.....

13. vit

vit Active Member

Yeah, rope spin ... actually I don't see it as difficult figure for the lady (providing that the man can lead the spiral without throwing the lady out of balance), but in my hobby latin group, most girls have problems with it, just because our teacher (like some other teachers in my area) is teaching the spiral wrong way, like you have to stop at the end of it before proceeding. So they are usually falling on the nose trying to stop after spiral. And it's actually nothing else than spin on one foot with other leg spiraled around for estheticall reason and you proceed immediately with the next step. It would be probably better to learn it with feet closed first and adding the spiral later, once the lady can do it without loosing balance

On the other side, girls in my salsa venue usually don't have any problems if I lead it during cha cha song, although they actually never learned any figures from balroom cha cha except basic step, because they know how to spin

14. fascination

mine has improved, but is still worse with pro than without him and I am convinced it is about where we are in proximity to one another and how that is messing with when and where I am choosing to step coming out of the spiral...I am settled enough. but it just works better without him :)

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Explosions or whatever they're called in American. If you don't do them well, you look pretty klutzy.

16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Outside spin.... worse figure ever

17. fascination

lol...I like both of those :)

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOVE this figure too:D

19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the fact that we got it a few months ago and it's just one of those moves that is taking a while to click. But yeah currently it's a hate hate relationship with that move.

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

it hates you back??:eek::confused: