steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Can't blame you at all for that... bolero is a great dance.
  2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I like turkish towel in open position with no arms attached, but think it looks really dumb when the partners are holding hands
    debmc and Dancing Irishman like this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Agreed...not sure why the handholding one doesn't show up til the gold syllabus in latin.
  4. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

Natural Top.. especially in cha

Tipsies in quickstep

Waterfalls in Am Waltz.. can never get the hand switching right :(
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

You read my mind. Both of those steps give me fits. We took the fishtail out of QS, but I'm still wrangling with the hover cross.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me hover cross dramatically improved as soon as I decided to only focus on two things after the heel turn; keeping my hips square to the man, and keeping my head left instead of turning it to the right.....it is no longer a "stop and nag"
    dancelvr and FancyFeet like this.
  7. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I love this figure but half the time I miss the heel turn which turns the hover cross to disaster.
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I dance it with head left the whole time too... helps immensely, as does a streeeetch to the left as I cross.
  9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I'm curious - what issue do you have with tipsies?
  10. twirl2010

twirl2010 Member

i would love to actually know what's wrong.. i am never really on time during them, i always lose it in the exit and it throws off the rest of the routine.. ahhhhh nightmare!
  11. OreganO

OreganO Member

Cuddle in ECS -it's so cutesy and a little too sugar-sweet for my tastes
    stop and go in ECS or jive with that awful nose-bop! - Again, far too cutesy for my dance attitude. It's fine without the nose-bop and some attitude but I bite things that come too close to my face...
  12. llamasarefuzzy

Don't think I've ever seen a nose bop one... do you literally bop someone's nose? I'd be down for that. I love boppin noses :) My partner would likely be a bit surprised, though.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

If I ever get a Latin partner I may just have to do this when said hypothetical partner is annoying me.
  14. OreganO

OreganO Member

Yup, you literally bop them on the nose. My partners (and team) understand I view this as a form of punishment :)
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Cha-cha basics in place ... I hates them. Sure, sure. It completely makes sense to excise my slip chasses from my cha-cha before Nationals. Just because I've never been invigilated for them in the past is no guarantee I won't be invigilated for them in the future, and it would really stink to eat a DQ at Nationals. But ... I really despise basics in place. It's just an ugly, miserable little step. (That I'll be a better dancer for working on.)
  16. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Promenade runs with the clave timing...why, coach/choreographer, why??!?
  17. llamasarefuzzy

Learned a terrible step in swing last night- a sort of weird quick grapevine around your partner than some weird swivels to follow. The instructor showed them with her legs, all, ahem, open on top. I asked her how to do the technique so that the thighs could stay close. Her answer was that they were supposed to be all open up there, because it comes from street swing. Excuse me, but I'm dancing ballroom swing, not street swing, and would like to keep those bits closed in a short skirt:eggface:
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Fishtail. I can dance it, and it looks ok, but I just can't find the flow; it always feels awkward and stuck. The happy news - it's not in my new routine :)
  19. llamasarefuzzy

Fishtail took me ages to get to a point where I don't feel ridiculous doing it. Now it is one of my favorites- hang in there!
  20. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.