steps you hate...and why

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by fascination, Mar 16, 2007.

1. bluslu

bluslu Member

You were not there tonight. The move is much better when instructed by someone from a ballroom background. She said she did it open because that's her background but we very much learned it with closed legs tonight. You have to rotate from the hip, which leads to rotation of both legs equally, getting the swivel action without exposing yourself to the world.

However, that's not to say I like the move. I don't like the beginning of the move because of how fast it goes and none of the guys being able to lead it such that the footwork flows the way it should. Doesn't help she played a jive the first time we tried to do it. That move definitely cannot be transitioned to jive unless you enjoy looking like a raving lunatic jumping around.

I hate the bronze level hip swivels that progress down the floor in ECS. A) they're tough on my hips which don't like to rotate than much and B) most of the guys get this weird bouncy pattern when they do it. Blegh, no thanks. I can find better things to do out of my point kicks which look much sharper.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  2. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Lindy hopper here and Im very curious about that "street swing" figure now, I really can't visualise it from the description. Any youtube videos or more detailed description that you could dig up? even a common name of the move would be helpful.

I also am struggling a bit with the "open on top" comments, you mean not having your thighs stuck together when you dance, do you normally dance with your thighs really close together?

I don't (but I don't dance ballroom and I'm aware that these are totally different dances, Im just being curious but yeah most of my skirts are relatively long (just above the knee at the shortest really) and I'm careful to pick ones that don't fly up too high either (or if I do Im aware of that and wear shorts underneath)

As for moves I don't like, anything overly complicated and "arm-y" like the pretzel, I also don't like being held in hammerlock positions for extended periods of time.
  3. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Eh, its a little hard to describe, so I'm sure I'm doing a terrible job. As far as thighs go, though, yes. I've been told on several occasions to try and keep it so you can slide a credit card between them and hold it there- nobody wants to see those bits open (whether or not they are covered by a skirt). Even if you are wearing a longer skirt and shorts underneath, I find that not keeping my thighs together results in the possibility for some very unladylike pictures
  4. bluslu

bluslu Member

There's also just a difference in leg position between "street swing" and ballroom. With ballroom, there is more collection to the legs with specific directions. With "street swing" there is definitely less of that so you see legs facing opposite directions at times, which opens up everything at the top. Legs like this: <> show a lot more than legs like this: << or >>. It's not this specific move, it's more just the basic motion of Lindy vs ECS ballroom style. This may not be how Lindy action is supposed to be, I don't know, but it's definitely seen quite a bit in all of the Lindy dancers I've seen.
  5. Ironvegan

Ironvegan New Member

I've seen several people mention Slow Foxtrot Hover Crosses, and I can't agree more. They're miserable and just feel super amateurish no matter what you do.

Also, the closed wing in Waltz gives me trouble. Either my partner and I lose connection as she wraps around me, or I stick my butt out in an attempt to keep my rib cage connection with her. Either one doesn't do me any favors.